Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85510 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2010, 04:59:48 pm »

Bumpity bump. The game will be releasing at the end of this month, and having been following the beta posts it seems like it's shaping up quite nicely. Modding and writing scripts and stuff, as they demonstrate it, looks almost stupid easy too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2010, 03:28:44 am »

Where did you find a modding/scripting demo?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2010, 01:13:25 pm »

Well, less a demo and more pages and clearly written script.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/390375

The first journal entry. I haven't written anything script-related since....NWN, but that's simple enough even I can tease out the instructions.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2010, 02:18:50 pm »

You'll have to let us know how it plays, and if it has any long-term replayability.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2010, 02:28:20 pm »

I really hope the AI gets a good upgrade... it's not been impressive so far. Their AI guy has many years of experience with that stuff, but he also has a ton of other duties pre-release. The last month was supposed to be "dedicated" to AI upgrades. They've clearly stated (and it's obvious in-game) that they have decided to go down the "difficulty on AI means it cheats" road.

Also curious, I'm not sure I understood all of it correctly, but the digital release and the retail release will be different versions. Presumably the digital release will be more up to date (with retail purchasers having the option to download the update(s)?). Obviously the retail release has to go gold at some point. Still, I wouldn't buy a retail copy without an internet connection for this game. Previous games GalCiv 2 and Demigod (stardock was just publisher + they did netcode) were both horrible at launch. Sins of a Solar Empire was a lot better at launch, though. They do like to work on their titles post-launch, no doubt. That's part of their business idea to improve the product for (registered) purchasers, instead of putting a ton of DRM in there.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:32:38 pm by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2010, 04:27:51 pm »

IIRC, you need an internet connection period, just for the first-time install verification. Beyond that, the boxed version will never dial home afterward. The choice to update or not is up to the user who buys the boxed version. As I understand it, with the digital version, it will automatically patch and update just like Steam does (i.e. without your express consent unless you change your options.)

You'll have to let us know how it plays, and if it has any long-term replayability.

I can say, right now, your mileage will vary. I've played two games of Gal Civ 2. One epic, 20 hour game and one 4 hour game to get my feet wet.

Good as it was, I didn't have any compulsion to go back and try a new race combination, or a different overall strategy. And like Master of Magic, and Heroes of Might and Magic, I don't have any real compulsion to play those more than once either. (Well, HoMM anyways. MoM is almost worth it because spell use is so restricted, and there are two open planes to play on.)

So maybe that's me, or maybe that's the genre. But Elemental has a real SP campaign, apparently, in addition to the sand box. And all the mod features. (The map making particularly will eat up a ton of my time.) So, for me, I know it's going to be good for more than one sand box game where I see all the features, bend over the easy difficulty AI and call it good. Others that don't enjoy modding may not find it so. It all comes down to the RPG mechanics, and how much you can cram into one single game.

(As an aside, this has always been my issue with 4x games. When you dial the difficulty down to easy, you usually can see/do/experience every facet of the game, just with more or less bonuses here and there. That doesn't make for a lot of replayability in my book; I don't need a second play through just to see what a Fireball is like at +100% mana, or what city population growth is like at -20%, ect...)

I'm hoping between Races, Factions and Map features that get generated, Elemental offers a lot more real choices than say, MoM or Gal Civ. And therefore more replayability.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2010, 06:27:36 pm »

After beating the easy AI and exploiting the unbalanced spell system in MoM, I never felt the need to play that game again.  So if they're not interested in good AI, then I'm not interested in their game.  A pity, considering that if Stardock actually cared about the AI, they could make a great one.  Well, I really would not be surprised if they decided not to bother with the AI in a nostalgia game.

And, perhaps the AI will be challenging even on easy level.  It's been known to happen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2010, 06:41:47 pm »

According to frogboy, the AI has kept getting pushed back in lieu of other things. The game goes gold today, and then it's on to the Day 0 build...which he describes as "tweaks, balancing and polish." Whether that includes the AI or no....*shrug*

Quote from:  By Frogboy
We’re supposed to go gold this week and we’ve been burning the midnight oil. Once we go gold, we can move to the day 0 version which is, as far as I’m concerned, the “release” version. There won’t be much difference between the two other than AI. But frankly, if I had my way, none of you would be able to play the game and it would all be just AI vs. AI. they prefer it that way…

Take that for what it's worth. 

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2010, 06:46:32 pm »

Dunno what that means, honestly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2010, 05:22:01 am »

I think he means that if he had his way, the AI would be good enough to play the entire game itself and there would be no room for you. You would just slow it down.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2010, 06:09:11 am »

I think he means that if he had his way, the AI would be good enough to play the entire game itself and there would be no room for you. You would just slow it down.

I believe that is what is called a joke.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2010, 07:20:58 am »

I believe that is what is called a joke.
You found me out. I am exposed.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2010, 09:01:45 am »

I'm not entirely sure if you guys know, but official release date is teh 24th of August 2010. Also, release trailer. http://www.elementalgame.com/launchtrailer

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2010, 07:00:10 pm »

Now THAT is a rubbish trailer!  :'(

I'm so excited... hope they release a day or two early =)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:02:14 pm by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2010, 09:14:04 pm »

I just got some Stardock spam about this.  Color me excited.

With a vast storage of lore developed in collaboration with publishing giant Random House, Elemental ensures that every game is a completely new experience.

I really wonder how that will play out.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 69