Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85454 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:00 pm »

In one of the videos the guy mentioned that they decided to keep everything empty because it would be too cluttered.  I don't really buy that logic.  If clutter really was a problem, they could have built a "turn off detail" setting or something so you could see your units.

I honestly don't know why they are building their maps so sparse.  Maybe it's for for low-end computer optimization, or maybe it's just plain laziness and they're relying on the community for making great maps.
Or maybe its because the world is supposed to be a post-apocalyptic war-torn wasteland?

Pathos

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2010, 12:20:15 pm »

Or maybe its because the world is supposed to be a post-apocalyptic war-torn wasteland?

It DOES liven up a bit when you heal the land or whatever.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2010, 12:21:46 pm »

Yea, that's supposed to cost you essence, but since they havn't put magic in yet it's really easy to heal the land.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:46 pm »

In one of the videos the guy mentioned that they decided to keep everything empty because it would be too cluttered.  I don't really buy that logic.  If clutter really was a problem, they could have built a "turn off detail" setting or something so you could see your units.

I honestly don't know why they are building their maps so sparse.  Maybe it's for for low-end computer optimization, or maybe it's just plain laziness and they're relying on the community for making great maps.

Well I think if that was the reason, the guy from Stardock would have said so rather than the cheesy, "It's too much clutter on the screen" answer.

Pathos

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2010, 11:59:53 pm »

Beta 2-A was just released. Boats and some other stuff I wasn't paying attention to.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2010, 12:11:45 am »

Does anyone else find the city building mechanics really unwieldy?

Pathos

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2010, 12:50:53 am »

Does anyone else find the city building mechanics really unwieldy?

They can be a bit odd, I have to admit, but they're not really unwieldy. You're meant to max out a city and then build another one in it's essence spreading range, it seems.

Oh, and what happens if you kill the ebbenwolf mother when she's giving birth? Does anything happen to the pups that you get?

Beta 2-A seems to be boats, bug fixes and create-a-sovereign. Oh, and equal rights.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:52:37 am by Pathos »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2010, 01:26:09 am »

It just doesn't end up looking much like a city.

Pathos

« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2010, 02:06:59 am »

It just doesn't end up looking much like a city.

I think they're fixing that soon, by hooking up all the buildings with streets etc. I have to agree, though. The main dev guy makes pretty nice looking towns. =(

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2010, 02:35:42 am »

More like Holy Shit moddable.
I can't see the videos, but the article listed very limited modding ability. Do the forums mention scripting support?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Pathos

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2010, 03:29:46 am »

Is it possible to set up a multiplayer game with another person of your choice? Anyone fancy one?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2010, 03:43:32 am »

Is it possible to set up a multiplayer game with another person of your choice? Anyone fancy one?
I don't even know what I'm doing yet, else I might take you up on that.

So do you guys generally start a new city within the influence ring of the first city, or just go find another nice location and eventually link them up?

Can you build roads between cities?

Pathos

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2010, 03:49:08 am »

I don't even know what I'm doing yet, else I might take you up on that.

As soon as you're ready. xp

So do you guys generally start a new city within the influence ring of the first city, or just go find another nice location and eventually link them up?

Both. I beat up a few champions first, though, so I can get my sovereign's movement speed up REALLY high. He turns into Speedy Gonzales and is capable of basically being able to manage everything at once. I conquered one of my opponents in two turns (they had two cities) by running around his defenders to the cities before they could get back there.

Can you build roads between cities?

I just found this out, actually. If you build a caravan from your town, you can link them up and get a bonus to gildar, I think.

The AI sucks royally, though.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2010, 05:45:05 am »

The guy ALSO said he had the details turned all the way down in that very same video :P

Pathos

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2010, 06:00:42 am »

The guy ALSO said he had the details turned all the way down in that very same video :P

You do have a ground clutter option in the graphics settings, too. It goes all the way up to 10x. =p

Started an LP. Feel free to chime in.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 69