Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85360 times)

Pathos

Elemental - War of Magic
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:39:41 pm »

Quote from: The Website
lemental is a fantasy strategy game set on a world filled with magic and ancient lore. Rule a fledgling kingdom and expand it across the world through a combination of magical power, military might, diplomatic skill, technological advancement and bold adventuring.

As sovereign, you begin as the only being in your kingdom still able to channel power from the shards of magic, a series of mystical artifacts left over from the cataclysm.

You must decide how much of your power to imbue into your heroes as you build new cities, explore dungeons, perfect spells of ever increasing power and negotiate with friends and foes.

Victory can be yours through conquest, magical supremacy, diplomatic alliances or the completion of the master quest.

So, basically, Elemental is a fantasy turn-based strategy game (potentially 4x) being developed by Stardock Entertaiment that is currently in closed beta. I'm actually looking forward to it, especially as they've said "you end up as Morgoth or Sauron power level" (there's a massive difference inbetween those, but that's alright), which to me sounds pretty damn fun.

Here is the website. I'm not certain, but I think you can get into beta via pre-ordering, although that might be closed at the minute. Anyone in beta and care to share?

Started an LP for the game. Feel free to chime in.

Another LP. Beta 2B, now. =p
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:57:14 pm by Pathos »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:56:29 pm »

Use that cute search box up there next time.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25374

Pathos

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:58:52 pm »

Use that cute search box up there next time.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25374

Re: Elemental: War of Magic - Stardock's upcoming fantasy TBS
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2009, 06:44:19 pm »

Last post was nine months ago, man. =p

This is one of those things that really gets on my nerves. You bring up an old topic with a lot of posts and you're accused of being a necroposter. You make a new topic that has a related old topic and you're accused of not using the search function.

Don't do it unless you're going to check the date of the last post.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 10:03:16 pm »

There's no such thing as a necroposter here.

Our general stance is necro instead of repost. Go look at every double-post there has been in this forum and you will see how that goes. Doesn't matter how old is the thread, bring it back to life if you have interest in it instead of posting another thread on the same subject.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:05:47 pm by Soulwynd »

Pathos

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:13:52 pm »

There's no such thing as a necroposter here.

Our general stance is necro instead of repost. Go look at every double-post there has been in this forum and you will see how that goes. Doesn't matter how old is the thread, bring it back to life if you have interest in it instead of posting another thread on the same subject.

A large thread is, as a general thing, a deterrent to any would be readers / posters, as any questions they might ask have already been posted in it. Therefore, new threads are generally a better way of getting new posters to post and they encourage discussion instead of stagnation. I, personally, don't want to read 350-odd posts and I'm sure many others do not either.

And I'm sure there's no such stance. =p

Oh, and please don't try and devolve this into a thread about new posts versus bumping old posts.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 10:18:55 pm »

So is it Sauron or is it Morgoth?  Seriously, we're talking the difference between a stick of TNT and a nuke here.

Hm, the graphics kind of look like the most recent Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:21:19 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Pathos

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 10:22:10 pm »

So is it Sauron or is it Morgoth?  Seriously, we're talking the difference between a stick of TNT and a nuke here.

I know, that's what I was wondering, personally. I'm gonna make a guess and go for the idea that it's based off how you develop your character. Like Sauron is more "armies of darkness bred in your empire" and Morgoth is more "I am Overlord of everything and could conquer the world alone if I wanted to". Not 100% certain, though.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:25:42 pm »

You're discriminating old posters now. Meanie.

In general, you will get told about the original thread if you duplicate a thread here. You will also never get told off about necroing a thread.

Oh, and please don't try and devolve this into a thread about new posts versus bumping old posts.
You talk as if you were new here. =p

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 10:27:29 pm »

I think Sauron is more like "Well Morgoth got his ass kicked, but as long as I keep a low profile for a while I might just manage to gain back a fraction of the power I had serving under him."

Pathos

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:38:05 pm »

In general, you will get told about the original thread if you duplicate a thread here. You will also never get told off about necroing a thread.

To be honest, the vast majority of those threads subsequently carry on, anyway. Also, for some odd reason it never seems to occur with the "show me x genre games, plx" threads which it would be most needed. Probably too hard to piss about with search.

I think Sauron is more like "Well Morgoth got his ass kicked, but as long as I keep a low profile for a while I might just manage to gain back a fraction of the power I had serving under him."

Yes, but his strategy seems to be more "hide behind legions" rather than Morgoth's outright fighting. I'd guess because Sauron's much more of a schemer and Morgoth's just a massive raging bastard.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:41:13 pm »

ANYWAY.

I'm in the beta. It's currently got graphics almost entirely disabled, as they're focusing on getting the gameplay up to par, now. So far, it's interesting, but I haven't really played enough to give more than that. Also, I don't know if I inadvertently signed an NDA.

Pathos

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 10:49:51 pm »

ANYWAY.

I'm in the beta. It's currently got graphics almost entirely disabled, as they're focusing on getting the gameplay up to par, now. So far, it's interesting, but I haven't really played enough to give more than that. Also, I don't know if I inadvertently signed an NDA.

The forums seem to have quite a bit of debate about it, so I doubt it. Is it still possible to pre-order and get into beta?

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 11:16:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure it is.

I noticed this game back in the summer of 2009 (Oh, how innocent was I) and thought it looked pretty cool. My favorite part is the fact that an armored knight is going to be a hard to make unit, because you need to mine the iron, then make the chain-mail, then make the plate-mail, have a horse ready, have a sword ready, and then you can have a knight. Going to be freaking sweet.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »

To be honest, the vast majority of those threads subsequently carry on, anyway. Also, for some odd reason it never seems to occur with the "show me x genre games, plx" threads which it would be most needed. Probably too hard to piss about with search.

Yes, but his strategy seems to be more "hide behind legions" rather than Morgoth's outright fighting. I'd guess because Sauron's much more of a schemer and Morgoth's just a massive raging bastard.

Sauron was only more of a schemer because he was completely incomparable in terms of overall power to Morgoth.  Sauron had hordes of orcs, Morgoth had hordes of Dragons and Balrogs.

More on topic:  I hope they don't try to be 'funny' like in Galactic Civilizations.  The endless stream of horrible jokes in that game was part of what ruined it for me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:20:36 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Pathos

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 11:21:47 pm »

Sauron was only more of a schemer because he was completely incomparable in terms of overall power to Morgoth.  Sauron had hordes of orcs, Morgoth had hordes of Dragons and Balrogs.

More on topic:  I hope they don't try to be 'funny' like in Galactic Civilizations.  The endless stream of horrible jokes in that game was part of what ruined it for me.

This is definitely a question we need to ask on their forums.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69