Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85496 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #825 on: January 14, 2011, 04:44:47 pm »

So is Elemental up to anything resembling a playable state yet?  I was kind of excited about it until it came out and turned out to be unplayable, so I haven't checked it out.
Shoes...

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 14, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

So is Elemental up to anything resembling a playable state yet?  I was kind of excited about it until it came out and turned out to be unplayable, so I haven't checked it out.

It's somewhat playable, but content-wise it is in a sadly barren state and it still crashes and slows down immensely after 500 turns or so.

Edit: Fallen Enchantress, a new game.

It also says the next entry in the Elemental world will be standalone. Free for those who bought Elemental before November 2010 and discounted for those who own the previous games.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:16:45 am by Jehdin »

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 25, 2011, 06:41:17 pm »

Oh yea, after that last gem I'm all ready to buy another one!

Someone let me know when there are enough super mods and patches that this game is worth playing.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 25, 2011, 06:55:47 pm »

Same here. I preordered this... game, I guess you could call it.

It just doesn't have the motivation of fun that GCII did.

EDIT: Thank god: "It just takes time and optimization (i.e. budget) which has been allocated for Fallen Enchantress so that we can get our roads, rivers, and randomly generated land masses." THat will improve the game SOMEWHAT.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:04:01 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #829 on: January 25, 2011, 07:10:14 pm »

So, stuff that was supposed to work correctly in the original game will be in the expansion a year later? Yay...?

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 25, 2011, 08:34:12 pm »

Yay because I (think I) get it free.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 20, 2011, 02:49:10 pm »

Played another game of E:WoM today (v1.19c). It is certainly improving and may actually qualify as 'fun' now. Or at least, it would if not for the Out of Memory CTDs which are still occurring only a couple hundred turns into a large map. :-\

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:37 pm »

How did this game fail so utterly, anyway?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 17, 2011, 12:20:53 pm »

Cause Stardock sucks.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 17, 2011, 12:27:43 pm »

A combination of bad code and being about as well polished as a piece of old cobblestone. It was rushed out the door much MUCH too early. Stardock had developed a new game engine on which it was built, the Kumquat Engine they called it. So in addition to just all around bad polish, they were dealing with debugging an entirely new engine, all in a tiny period of time. The first beta for the game which actually used their game engine with the features enabled wasn't until June; they released the game in August. They were planning on releasing a 64 bit native version, which has yet to materialize (but IIRC is in the works still), and so apparently the dev team said to themselves: "Memory management? Bah! Who cares, we will have infinite memory to use!" or something. According to their forums and my own experimentation, the game can only use about 1gb of memory before 'out of memory exception' CTD due to them not even bothering to turn on the LargeAddressAware flag on the executable. As far as I know, the easiest way to do this is to use the visual studio command line to edit the exe itself, as this is the solution which Stardock themselves tell you to do. Overall, it just gives the impression of devs doing things half-assed and expecting the customer to pick up the pieces. Seriously, when was the last time a developer required you to edit the exe for the game just to keep it from crashing every few hours? >_<

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 17, 2011, 12:30:16 pm »

Cause Stardock sucks.
That's... productive.

I'm pretty sure it was a combination of three things. The game was really hyped by... a lot of people, including the main Stardock person reporting on the development of the game. Hype leads to letdown, almost universally, simply because you can't possibly live up to everyone's highest expectations. The game didn't release with everything that was promised and the parts that did get in didn't feel very fleshed out. This kind of goes together with the hype, but it just makes it that much more of a letdown. The game also released in a pretty buggy state which, while relatively normal, shouldn't have been the case with the size of the beta test they had going.

Really if they hadn't talked it up as much and had focused the features a bit more they probably could have had a minor hit on their hands. I think they like having relatively large, relatively public alphas/betas, but I'm not sure they really understand how to get the most out of them.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 18, 2011, 07:52:10 am »

Stardock doesn't suck, they made both GalCivs. They just had a good idea that was poorly executed. I guess I was expecting Ice Cream and got a non-dairy confection.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #837 on: April 18, 2011, 09:13:40 am »

I think they like having relatively large, relatively public alphas/betas, but I'm not sure they really understand how to get the most out of them.

There's almost always a much smaller, invite-only sort of alpha and beta process going on at the same time. My understanding is that those testers identified a lot of the problems people had with the game, but were told they'd be fixed in later releases. Then the game was released.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #838 on: April 18, 2011, 09:47:59 am »

is the game getting any better over time?
I got nothing

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:59 am »

Cause Stardock sucks.

I kind of agree to be honest.  They built up that whole "Gamers bill of Rights" as a publicity stunt and then completely ignored it when people started to ask for refunds due to the overwhelming technical issues.  I pretty much lost all respect for them.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 69