Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85516 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #795 on: January 12, 2011, 09:49:57 pm »

It is also terribly bothersome that they so blatantly ignored good practices. There are some gold standard 4x games out there, learn from them.

It disappointed me that they didn't learn from Master of Magic, the game they were supposedly basing the game off.

Also, never mention that game on the forums, or you'll have swarms of fanboys running over you and crying about how the game isn't meant to be Master of Magic and was never meant to be Master of Magic.
I don't normally think of myself as a troll, but that statement really makes me want to register on their forums and ask "Hey, is this game anything like Master of Magic?"
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 12, 2011, 10:53:02 pm »

Well, did another game of Elemental; since August I have a philosophy regarding it of "play a game of Elemental, if it sucks or crashes, wait 3 months and repeat."
The magic is definitely much better towards the beginning of the game, and balancing does seem hugely better. However, as I got further into a large map, I found some of the mid game and up magic to be lacking. As in, researching spell levels 7 and 8 with all but mastery spellbooks revealed a paltry 1 or maybe 2 spells. Unlocking a spellbook itself was usually disappointing, since even those only gave you a small handful.

Generally it seemed much better, but I would still call it a beta version. As evidenced by both the lack of content and still giving 'Out of Memory' crashes after a mere 7 or so hours on a large map. Dwarf Fortress doesn't give those, and it has to deal with tens of thousands of stones laying around, thousands of dead, the last thoughts of said corpses, and a thousand years of history to boot! How the hell does one even manage to use up a full 4gb of RAM anyway? The only possible way I could imagine ever using that much would be if you did something incredibly silly, like storing copies of the texture and mesh files in every instance of each object! And freeze-crashing rather than using some sort of emergency cleanup function to fix its horribly coded mess just adds the icing onto the cake. As someone training to go into the game development field, I can honestly say: I AM DISAPPOINT.  :-\

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 13, 2011, 02:13:45 am »

Textures.

Unoptimized.

Bye, bye RAM.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 13, 2011, 06:23:45 am »

It is also terribly bothersome that they so blatantly ignored good practices. There are some gold standard 4x games out there, learn from them.

It disappointed me that they didn't learn from Master of Magic, the game they were supposedly basing the game off.

Also, never mention that game on the forums, or you'll have swarms of fanboys running over you and crying about how the game isn't meant to be Master of Magic and was never meant to be Master of Magic.
I don't normally think of myself as a troll, but that statement really makes me want to register on their forums and ask "Hey, is this game anything like Master of Magic?"

Brad himself has referenced MoM in the same breath as Elemental so many times, I don't think the fan bois would have a leg to stand on.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 13, 2011, 10:06:04 am »

Elemental is essentially identical to MoM, with more bugs added.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 13, 2011, 01:22:03 pm »

I'm reading over what's being said about Fallen Enchantress, and you know what? I could give a fuck less at this point. "A new team." "A new game." Straight from the news blurb. They're talking about FE as though it's its own thing, and is departing from Elemental in drastic ways.

Which would be good, if Elemental were truly worth a shit right now. Which it's not. I'm not hearing "expansion works to make base game great." I'm hearing "expansion which we hope makes you forget Elemental and all the promises we made."

And it's a completely stand alone product. Fuck. This. Shit. The fact it's free to long time Elemental owners is more like a "sorry for all the fuck ups" then "here's the real game you paid and waited for."

When Relic released the stand-alone expansion to the Company of Heroes, Tales of Valor, they did it because their main game had a proven track record, massive sales, and managed to be addictively fun after dozens and dozens of hours. The product did so well they earned the right to try something different.

Elemental hasn't even met beta-levels of expectations yet, and Brad already thinks it's time to do something different, again? As though every iteration of Elemental so far has been a raging fucking success? Grah. How Brad can seem like he's got a handle on it, then make decisions that are completely divorced from reality, is beyond me. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:27:25 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 13, 2011, 02:02:28 pm »

Wait a sec.

What's the difference between a stand alone expansion and a sequel?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 13, 2011, 02:08:02 pm »

Wait a sec.

One integrates with the first game whilst the other stands on it's own?

Although, I think that that might mean ME2 is a stand alone expansion. :O

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 13, 2011, 02:16:58 pm »

How much of new content the expansion brings. Your mileage may vary.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 13, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »

Chaos Rising for Dawn of War II is a stand alone expansion. You can play it as a seperate game (although you only have Chaos in multiplayer) since it has it's own campaign. You don't need the original game, but that unlocks the original campaign and the ability to play as the other four factions in multiplayer.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 13, 2011, 04:41:22 pm »

Wait a sec.

Isn't a stand alone expansion like Mount and Blade: Warband, the same game as Mount and blade but expansion level content and features added but instead of requiring the original game it doesn't.

A sequel is like Half life 2 is to Half life 1.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 13, 2011, 04:49:58 pm »

Isn't a stand alone expansion like Mount and Blade: Warband, the same game as Mount and blade but expansion level content and features added but instead of requiring the original game it doesn't.

Well put Rilder.

Also, they STILL haven't fixed Elemental fully? I'm glad I didn't buy it. and my hopes were so high...Oh well.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 13, 2011, 04:54:59 pm »

supposedly, this replaces the aborted game completely. It does not just add quests and magic but reworks the core and fine tunes everything to relaunch what was supposed to have been from the start. Complete overhall is what they are billing it as. Quit bitching about the current game if you own it, as you are getting what many companies would call a sequel for free.

game sucks right now. get over it and try the new version when it releases since it will have cost you nothing but bandwidth.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 13, 2011, 04:57:05 pm »

Nope, fairly certain Warband is more of a sequel / new edition than anything else. Like reprinting a book with a glossary or something along those lines.

Now, if Warband added multiplayer and an extra continent to the singleplayer campaign, but you couldn't access the original singleplayer campaign without having the original Mount and Blade THEN it'd be a standalone expansion.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 13, 2011, 04:59:27 pm »

Was Age of Wonders - Shadow Magic a stand alone expansion compared to Age of Wonders 2? Just to clarify.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 69