Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85535 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #765 on: January 01, 2011, 05:41:30 pm »

I definitely agree with you there nenjin. More items, more spells, more quests (although I haven't really done many, I feel like they're probably a bit lacking too), just more of a lot of things. I think they have a lot of recruitable champions or whatever they call them because they ended up opening it up to community submissions... then all they had to do was read them and make sure they seemed good enough. Balance got waaaaay better with 1.1, but it's definitely still off in some places, especially some of the items. I find that it's a bit weird that I can make most of my heroes unhittable with the first level of armor research.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 01, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »

Anyway, Elemental: War of Magic was released in August 2011.

*Queue creepy music*
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #767 on: January 02, 2011, 04:27:11 am »

Anyway, Elemental: War of Magic was released in August 2011.

*Queue creepy music*
Maybe that means it will be playable and complete as of august 2011.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 02, 2011, 05:38:36 am »

So, is this game worth buying yet?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 04, 2011, 06:24:29 pm »

Well, that makes two *high-profile* game designers Stardock has hired now.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67016

I don't know his work, but poaching someone from the Civ development team means Brad must be pretty serious about investing in Elemental until to the end.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #770 on: January 04, 2011, 06:25:51 pm »

or desperate to restore customer confidence

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 04, 2011, 06:28:13 pm »

Well, that makes two *high-profile* game designers Stardock has hired now.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67016

I don't know his work, but poaching someone from the Civ development team means Brad must be pretty serious about investing in Elemental until to the end.

Jeez...with the kind of people they're bringing in, it almost seems like a better idea to start over from scratch.  Otherwise all they're really doing is putting lipstick on a pig.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #772 on: January 04, 2011, 06:32:18 pm »

Hey maybe hiring the fantasy author will make the next printing of brad's book not suck.

More seriously, I really do hope they turn this into a good game. I would love to play the Elemental I read about, and if they manage it I absolutely will buy the thing.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 04, 2011, 06:32:54 pm »

What would you guys say sucks balls about this game, now?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 04, 2011, 06:39:13 pm »

Well, we can hope he didn't hire these guys at top dollar so they could sit there and agree with him. I think a lot of Elemental's problems stemmed from the team just trying to make Brad happy, when they should have been going "This is a trainwreck d00d!"

What would you guys say sucks balls about this game, now?

At this point? Content. But I've played well over 30 games, so I've done everything and seen everything. Every new patch for me is just re-examining the game to see what's changed.

The AI has a fairly massive overhaul coming in the next build, that people say has improved the game a bit. (Having an AI that actually can threaten you tends to make the whole game more relevant.)

I'll use this metaphor: it's like trying to make bread without enough flour. You're working it, you can see the bread forming, smell the goodness that it promises to deliver....but as you mess with it, you realize it's still a gooey, un-cookable mass of wet dough because you still don't have enough flour, in the end, to bind it all together.

Elemental has felt that way from day 1, and gotten progressively less so. To me, it still needs two to three more handfuls of flour and tons of time kneading that flour in to make it into "bread" you don't regret eating.

In non-metaphor form: the game is essentially "done" now. Most of the systems work, most of the bugs are gone, most of the glaringly awkward things have been cleaned up. What the game is waiting on now is all the work to flesh out the features that never even came close to happening by release. (Diplomacy, dynasties, quests, items, spells.....yadda yadda yadda.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 04, 2011, 06:41:28 pm »

Regrettable bread is a wonderful metaphor.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 04, 2011, 08:05:13 pm »

They got Civ 5's lead designer? Huh, cool I guess. I definitely agree with the bread metaphor too nenjin.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 07, 2011, 01:14:16 am »

Shitstorm at SD's forum and civfanatics over Jon's employment is astonishing. Esp. considering the fact that he will work only on modding aspect of EWoM

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 07, 2011, 02:47:08 am »

I don't blame Jon. I wouldn't want to be onboard for the FB Civilization either :P

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 11, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »

I'm watching this game too, as a long time fan of master of magic. I'll wait until some 1.2 review comes in.

regarding content... this game is one with a good chance to cater a good community of modders, if the civilization guy is going to work at the moddability then we'll see tons of content and a small chance of a mom rewrite. civ III and 4 had some impressive mods, specially the ones focusing on well known nerdish subjects (middle earth for one)
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 69