Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85637 times)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #390 on: August 26, 2010, 03:14:33 am »

No, you are setting aside that food for the people who will live in the houses.
So it will rot or in some magical way the longer house is vacant the more hungry new residents are? As someone stated all work is done by buildings, only use for people is drafting them in army (ok ok levelling settlement, still unintuitive go-around solution). Stardock tried to make original system to differ their game from Civ. I can respect that but problem is that they tried too hard and ended up with something unreasonably abstract.

Honestly this game needs a lot of patching (no matter if you like economy or not). I spotted a lot of inconsistencies like in sovereign creation plain staff costs as much as better war staff or in unit design some items are plainly better and cheaper than alternatives, same goes to spells (for instance fire dart vs lightning bolt). It certainly doesn't look like finished product and I haven't played more than couple of turns (well I certainly haven't went past early game). I guess I'll go back to MoM. It does have bugs, it does have imbalances but at least its so damn fun to play. Flying warships ahoy (why there are no flying units in Elemental?) !

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 26, 2010, 03:50:20 am »

The way food works is that when you build a farm, it'll give you a certain amount of food per turn.  That's what you see as your global food (i.e. top of the screen bar resource bar).  From there, once you have that food, you build a house, and it consumes it.  The total limit of houses (and some other buildings, too) depend soley on the global amount of food you produce.  Its actually easier to bless all of your settlements with Nature's Bounty in order to give them all that +1 food producing. XD

It is a bit unbalanced, and its even worse than the way the AI map-gen creates the other resources.  There just simply isn't enough food producing tiles in the game.  Got fertile land, twilight bees, and fruit trees.  WTF?!  8)  Just make them a bit more common, please!
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 26, 2010, 04:08:54 am »

Its actually easier to bless all of your settlements with Nature's Bounty in order to give them all that +1 food producing. XD
Is there any reason to not use every enchantment on everything you can? In MoM there is upkeep cost involved to prevent such spamming. I'm surprised at how poorly this game is designed considering how much beta testing went into it.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 26, 2010, 04:13:39 am »

In beta there was a limit on how many enchantments you could cast. I don't know if that still applies.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2010, 04:25:58 am »

In beta there was a limit on how many enchantments you could cast. I don't know if that still applies.
Assuming its in that's still poor mechanic. Because there is no reason to cast lower level enchantments since 1 enchantment is 1 enchantment so you want to maximize your potential or to prevent that and balance things out it would mean every enchantment is as good as any other making them all bland and still there is no reason to not cast as many enchantments as you can. Again it looks like developers tried to make it original at all costs without thinking it through.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2010, 04:38:11 am »

By the way, I definitely agree that Demigod received less than ample support. Really, it was two demigods and bugfixes and some itembalancing. I really hope they don't give Elemental the Demigod treatment (although, so far multiplayer is about as playable as it was in Demigod at release - foreshadowed?).

Edit: This link will expire in time, but if you click it like today up to a week from now, you should see a poll named "How do you like Elemental?"
http://www.elementalgame.com/journals
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:55:08 am by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2010, 08:02:57 am »

There is a limit of how many enchantments you can cast, although its per settlement, instead of overall.  Can only bless a city with Nature's Bounty once, and that's it for that settlement.  Atleast for that spell. XD
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:59 am »

I'm amused that there is still a pre-order link on the site.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2010, 08:39:19 am »

It's a real shame that things have apparently turned out not so great with this game. I'd only heard about it a few days ago and was actually getting quite excited as I read about the features and whatnot. I did plan on torrenting it to see whether it was worth a buy, but now it hardly seems worth the download, let alone purchase.

Back to the grand old search, I suppose. :(
Not worth the download? really? You'll get at least a few hours of enjoyment out of it, and it isn't as bad as some of these people are making it out to be. I think a lot of the sentiment here stems from features which were promised 2 years ago and cut due to development constraints.

Ok, so you convinced me. Downloaded it, created my character, and attempted to start a new game. The UI disappeared and I was left staring at a slowly-shifting background image for the next ten minutes with absolutely no clue as to whether something was happening or not.

I figured it had crashed or something, so I quit out with taskmanager and tried again. Same deal, as soon as I click Start, it turns into a pretty screensaver and makes no harddrive activity whatsoever.

I should listen to me more often. :P
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

DaveT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2010, 08:45:07 am »

It's a real shame that things have apparently turned out not so great with this game. I'd only heard about it a few days ago and was actually getting quite excited as I read about the features and whatnot. I did plan on torrenting it to see whether it was worth a buy, but now it hardly seems worth the download, let alone purchase.

Back to the grand old search, I suppose. :(
Not worth the download? really? You'll get at least a few hours of enjoyment out of it, and it isn't as bad as some of these people are making it out to be. I think a lot of the sentiment here stems from features which were promised 2 years ago and cut due to development constraints.

Ok, so you convinced me. Downloaded it, created my character, and attempted to start a new game. The UI disappeared and I was left staring at a slowly-shifting background image for the next ten minutes with absolutely no clue as to whether something was happening or not.

I figured it had crashed or something, so I quit out with taskmanager and tried again. Same deal, as soon as I click Start, it turns into a pretty screensaver and makes no harddrive activity whatsoever.

I should listen to me more often. :P

Same for me, only if I tried to start a new campaign then it just went to a black screen rather than the lovely screensaver.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2010, 08:58:37 am »

Huh, well... sorry you hit a bug.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2010, 09:54:24 am »

The way food works is that when you build a farm, it'll give you a certain amount of food per turn.  That's what you see as your global food (i.e. top of the screen bar resource bar).  From there, once you have that food, you build a house, and it consumes it.  The total limit of houses (and some other buildings, too) depend soley on the global amount of food you produce.  Its actually easier to bless all of your settlements with Nature's Bounty in order to give them all that +1 food producing. XD

It is a bit unbalanced, and its even worse than the way the AI map-gen creates the other resources.  There just simply isn't enough food producing tiles in the game.  Got fertile land, twilight bees, and fruit trees.  WTF?!  8)  Just make them a bit more common, please!

The game doesn't want you producing gobs of level 5+ cities. You build a capital and some outliers.

If you want fantasy Civ, go download the Fall From Heaven 2 mod.

-----
Yes, I know the game has other major problems.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2010, 09:58:13 am »

I still want to try this game, so I've been thinking about what might be wrong in my installation.

I patched to 1.05, but that's the only patch I've applied. Should I have installed the previous patches first? I hate it when developers don't specify whether updates are cumulative or not.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2010, 10:31:53 am »

As long as you're updating through Impulse you should be completely fine with patches. What issue are you having with your install?

Edit: Whoops didn't read back/associate names. Maybe try running it windowed? I hear that's supposed to fix some of the weird graphics glitches.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:35:09 am by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2010, 10:45:01 am »

Nope, still just takes me to "glorified moving concept art" mode. Does that even happen if the game is working properly? Is it supposed to be a loading screen? There is absolutely no on-screen notification or loading bar, so for all I know it could just be taking ages to initialize. :/
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 69