Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85548 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2010, 09:04:26 am »

Sounds like I'll just have to buy CIV 5 and come back to this one six months later.

Hi five to that plan.
I'm not sure about waiting a full 6 months, but unfortunately I'm kind of going to have to agree that it'll be worth waiting a couple. There are a few hiccups for me performance-wise and some minor bugs (I'm not getting any gamebreaking ones, just ones like nenjin was mentioning). I totally agree about a tutorial being warranted and about the campaign feeling a little... off. I haven't tried a sandbox/custom game since the beta though.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2010, 10:06:32 am »

So, for someone who has the game, can you confirm if it has the Spore-style modding network? 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh....I predicted this game would suck months ago, and what do you know, I was right.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #242 on: August 23, 2010, 10:08:58 am »

Heh....I predicted this game would suck months ago, and what do you know, I was right.
I wouldn't say it sucks. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 23, 2010, 10:40:29 am »

Yeah I'm having fun with it too. And I mean, really, it's rare that an indie game ships and doesn't need a bit of patching. Also, remember that tomorrow's the official release, so anything we're playing now doesn't have all of their day 0 fixes in it. I'm actually really surprised how well it runs on my mid/low-end laptop. I can play it completely smoothly on the cloth map (which was their goal) and it runs pretty well with medium-range graphics turned on too.

No idea about the modding yet. I haven't looked at it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't up yet. They mentioned multiplayer servers wouldn't be up until at least tomorrow, possibly later this week (because they had to shift manpower to deal with stores breaking the release date), and modding stuff, if it's currently in the game, would probably get similar treatment. I bet there's something on their forums about it though.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53:07 am »

When I was looking over these critismisms of the game, I was worried I wasn't going to enjoy it that much.

But as it turns out, its quite a fun game. Definately needs a tutorial, but still great fun nonetheless.

Also, the details in this game are immense, a lot of eye candy.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 23, 2010, 12:05:28 pm »

So I tried to post some criticism about about the game on their forums, and my post was deleted twice by a Moderator within a few minutes.  I used to have a lot of respect for Stardock and their games, but if they want to silence honest criticism and hide the truth on their own site, I'll just post it here instead.
------------------------------------------------

Why the disappointment is warranted
Posted August 23, 2010 12:14:45 PM

I think the anger and dissapointment of a lot of people is pretty warranted.  Perhaps many of you were not around when Elemental was first announced, but the complete failure to deliver what was promised is pretty staggering.

Go back to just about any press release in November, 2008, and you'll see what I mean.  This comes from IGN:

And while things such as the map look like they were hand drawn, the cool thing is that the maps are randomly generated or user-created. Not only that, but most of the content in the game like units and buildings can be modified or replaced by users. The random map generator ensures that no two games are exactly the same, but users can type in their own names for major geographical features, such as forests, to make the map look like something straight out of Tolkien. Then there's the mod-friendly nature of the game. Those who played Galactic Civilizations II know that Stardock let users put in their own starship designs. The same idea is at play here, but in taking a page from games like Spore, all user-made content can be uploaded and shared with the community. It seems obvious then that fans will make original content, as well as mods based on their favorite fantasy universes.

This one comes from Gamespy:

The best thing that strategy gamers have to look forward to is how fifteen years and the advent of the Internet have changed what's possible in a turn-based strategy game likeElemental. The game will come complete with several different multiplayer modes, including classic skirmish and a persistent universe mode that will allow players to develop long-term open campaigns.Elemental will also mark Stardock's entry into the realm of Spore-style game broadcasting. The game will do much more than offer support for modders, as the company is developing a back-end infrastructure through its proprietary Impulse service that will let players seamlessly integrate new races, units, spells, technologies, buildings and much more into their game. Every time a player starts a game of Elemental, they'll have the opportunity to seamlessly incorporate new content straight from the fertile minds of the game's biggest fans.

These are just two examples, but if you go look at nearly any press release from any gaming media outlet around the end of 2008, you'll find the same information.

So, let's add up the sheer number of broken promises - things they touted from the beginning, that never made it into the game:

1. Spore-style modding network where fan-made objects would incorporate seamlessly into your game.
2. Persistent, multiplayer network campaigns.
3. State-of-the-art random map generation.
4. Giant thousand+ army tactical battles, where dragons would be able to take out hundreds of units at a time.
5. Unheard of "Mega" maps that would only run on 64-bit machines.
6. Custom nation creation
7. Large amount of magic in a game with "magic" in it's title.

These features weren't just side notes, either.  They were talked up as main selling points for the game, and a lot of people were living off these expectations.  People act as if they have amnesia and don't remember any of this, or that we should just give Stardock a pass.

To top this all off, a lot of us were expecting the game to have an unprecedented level of polish because of the serious way they were handling Beta, allowing actual players to download and test each piece along the way.  With such attention to detail, I think a lot of us assumed we'd have a pretty decent interface and very few bugs. 

If the answer is, "Stardock will fix these things down the road".  I'm sorry, but that was what Beta was supposed to be for.  When a game is released for retail, it's more than fair to criticize misleading statements.  It's not unreasonable to feel like the game was shipped intentionally early to avoid Civ 5's release date.

When we have gotten a near-opposite result, is it a surprise that there is a little outrage?  Can people honestly say that this is any better, or does anything new over Civ 4's Fall From Heaven mod?  I certainly don't see it, at least with Fall From Heaven, I get a decent random map generator and a decent user interface.

Don't take what I'm saying to indicate that I'm a troll, or simply flaming hate.  I want this game to succeed, I've been watching it very closely since day one.  I'm just asking for people to see this in a reasonable way.  I had hoped that we had learned a lesson from Spore, about touting ground-breaking features and then not delivering it.  I just hope Elemental can still give us at least half of they promised, if not at release, then at some future point in time.

Deleted at 12:29

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #246 on: August 23, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »

I agree with some of what you posted. Star Ruler just released to retail as well and it is in a half-finished but playable state, however the dev team was very open and up front about that fact. They even posted on their website that they had run out of money, and must release the game as-is and promised to continue support with the sales revenue. The Elemental team did not do this, and continue to claim that the game is entirely complete and (as above) go out of their way to delete controversial posts on their forums where the Star Ruler team is interacting very closely with their detractors and reacting calmly while trying to help people who run into bugs or want new features.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 23, 2010, 12:13:02 pm »

Well, they can't hide the truth behind their fan-base for long.  I guarantee that mainstream gaming reviews aren't going to be very kind to this game in the next few days.  I feel betrayed in the same way and on the same level that I did for Spore.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:50 pm »

I will say that I do find the game entertaining as-is, and have spent about 6 hours on it since downloading it this morning.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2010, 12:27:04 pm »

I'm still waiting to be really entertained in the campaign, tbh. Once you figure out how cities work (hint, fertile lands are the only thing that really matters as far as I can see) there is literally nothing to do but follow the bread crumb trail. It's painfully obvious they've not tried to do something like this before, they're modeling what they've played before.

And even that isn't going so well. For example:

Fighting along, everything is way too easy, blah blah yakkity schmackity...suddenly they throw some demons at me. Ok, I think, I've killed these before...probably? So I get into battle, and one of them nukes every regular infantry unit for 10 damage, which is 90 of my baseline footman's life. It's almost enough damage to kill my only other hero still alive. My archers can't touch them. I don't have anywhere near enough mana to cast Infernal the 6 times it would take to kill them all. So I'm like screw it, autobattle my way out.

The autobattle tells me I won the fight. Er....what? Then the whole quest blah blah appears, and I move on past that. All my guys are alive, all of them almost dead. I leave the square and look back at the ruins I just left...and the demons I supposedly won against are still there.

That's described exactly how it happened. And it's an example of just how fucking confusing and poorly delivered the campaign is. Were it not for the fact I want a trial run at half the shit left to see in the game before I go play sandbox, I would have quit the campaign in disgust. It could be fun, if everything weren't confusing, like clicking on an interest point 1000 times trying to walk there and not having it work, then coming back 5 minutes later and suddenly it works.

And if you are going a direction they don't want you to go, don't worry, you will get a message boxed spammed to you with the same thing, over and over again, every turn, while you feebly click on open area that is just inaccessible.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:30:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2010, 12:37:51 pm »

So I tried to post some criticism about about the game on their forums, and my post was deleted twice by a Moderator within a few minutes.  I used to have a lot of respect for Stardock and their games, but if they want to silence honest criticism and hide the truth on their own site, I'll just post it here instead.

Lol! I was trying to click on it when I saw it, but they deleted it so fast it just errored out. I figured that since it was deleted so fast and with no replies that it was the standard extreme cuss filled flame, but this was a well written explanation. Pretty big loss of respect for Stardock. Should probably replicate your post at other forums like civfanatics.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:39:59 pm by Lap »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2010, 12:44:54 pm »

(hint, fertile lands are the only thing that really matters as far as I can see)

Maybe this is true in the campaign, I haven't played it, but the other resources are vital in sandbox games. Finding a few gold mine locations or forgotten libraries will boost you well along the development path. Fertile land is important too though, especially if you have 2 or more of them near one city and can drop down an irrigation system and granary.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53:53 pm »

Lol! I was trying to click on it when I saw it, but they deleted it so fast it just errored out. I figured that since it was deleted so fast and with no replies that it was the standard extreme cuss filled flame, but this was a well written explanation. Pretty big loss of respect for Stardock. Should probably replicate your post at other forums like civfanatics.

Yeah, if you go look at their forums, it would "seem" that most people are absolutely in love with this game, or have some very mild criticism of it.  That's because all posts with any negative information are getting deleted immediately.  I even posted a few minutes ago warning people of this, and my post was removed.

So make sure you hail the almighty Stardock, or risk being silenced.

Edit: Hah!  Just caught another one titled, "Game Breaking Issues?".  As soon as I clicked on it, it had been removed.  Wow, I've never seen anything like this before.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:55:34 pm by GaelicVigil »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 23, 2010, 01:01:03 pm »

Well, that's disturbing. Really disappointed in Stardock for this. Refusing to allow any negative reviews of their game, or even constructive criticism, is really poor form.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 23, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »

Reminds me of the Elder Scrolls Forums. "Good" times.

And the things I hear about this so far are kind of convincing me I will not like it. In general I do not like Stardock games, I find them simplistic and monotonous. The initial previews sounded pretty damn complex. Would still have to see for myself, but I doubt I'll find it much more interesting than other Stardock games.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 69