Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can a plant be both wood and food item?  (Read 3763 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Can a plant be both wood and food item?
« on: May 08, 2010, 04:11:04 pm »

I got back into the idea of a candyland mod.

But the question is, can candycanes and lollipops be used both for food as well as building material?
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Can a plant be both wood and food item?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:14:35 pm »

Try it and see?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »

No idea, but it should be trivial to mod in a reaction in the kitchen to cut them into something edible

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:16:49 pm »

Never mind, apparently what I posted doesn't work.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:18:57 pm by dragon1423 »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:28:50 pm »

you cant use the kitchen, but you can use custom buildings. for example you could make an cocoa mill that processes wood:tree_cocoa into cocoa_powder with the plant powder matgloss that dwarven sugar got somehow. maybe you need to mod in a dummy cocoa "shrub" that actually is millable into the powder for use but wont exist in any biome of the world.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 12:32:09 am »

Im pretty sure you can use the kitchen, its one of a few hardcoded workshops that you can use custom reaction in. The render fat reaction in reaction_other uses the kitchen.

As for eddibility, it might be enough to simply add the [EDIBLE_RAW] tag and use a reaction to turn the logs into some edible item type (I dont think dwarves even consider eating logs)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 12:59:13 am »

Kitchen is one of the custom reaction buildings avaliable so Grimlocke is totally right. Why did you think otherwise, Rhenaya?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 01:41:55 am »

So the same could be true for sand and dimonds I guess.

Hardest fortress ever. The dwarves keep on eating your building materials.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 03:15:33 am »

But, if done correctly, it could solve the problem of stone getting packed in everywhere hehe.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 05:14:36 am »

Hehehe, modding project: make the whole world edible. Plump helmet man style.

Meat for rocks, flower and sugar for sand, bread for wood, candy for gems, etc. Could be funny novelty mod.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 11:14:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

maybe thats enough to use the wood in a mill, else maybe need a reaction for it

i am sure the reaction is all wrong and need fixing, but thats the direction i would go with that idea
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 11:19:56 am »

Hehehe, modding project: make the whole world edible. Plump helmet man style.

Meat for rocks, flower and sugar for sand, bread for wood, candy for gems, etc. Could be funny novelty mod.

Or if you want to make it a bit more serious you could set the entire world to be a giant creature and you play as a race of parasites. As well as bulk meat to dig through and eat you could have veins of bone and clusters of various organs and glands. Flea Fortress anyone?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 12:17:57 pm »

Or if you want to make it a bit more serious you could set the entire world to be a giant creature and you play as a race of parasites. As well as bulk meat to dig through and eat you could have veins of bone and clusters of various organs and glands. Flea Fortress anyone?

Got potential. You could make stone layers melt into red goo at room temperature, and possibly make veins of bone impossible to mine with
values for...is it impact fracture? I forget, but setting one of the values to 500 000 makes it basically indestructible. Would you fight white blood cells in the underground?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 01:25:29 pm »

Oh so slades unminability isnt decided by the deep_surface tag? neeeat. And that creature mod sounds fun, you could even simulate a resistance system with poisenois stones. Could also make giant hair trees, make sedimentary layers skin, metamorhpic ones fat and ignious ones muscle. Then make a worldgen parameter set to generate worlds looking like a big floating creaure, or even better, paint one.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 06:50:00 pm »

I'd have thought that the metamorphic layers should be muscle/organs, while igneous layers should be the fat and general near-surface flesh as most of the time fat is placed over muscle rather than under it (and metamorphic layers are typically under other rock layers). What would soils be though? Dandruff? Caked-on dirt? Underground you could also meet up with fellow parasites and compete for space with them.

And I thought the HFS stones unminability comes from the DEEP_SURFACE tag? Has anyone else actually done any testing, as I don't really know though.
Pages: [1] 2