Scotsmen
- 62 (63.9%)
Aussie
- 19 (19.6%)
other
- 16 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Scotsmen vs. Aussies  (Read 10481 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotsmen vs. Aussies
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2010, 05:10:56 am »

It's funny because at nature reserves, the Cassowaries are in meter and a half high fences, with big signs around saying 'Do not attempt to feed, or go near the Cassowaries'. It's not because they're an endangered species. It's because they're aggressive, and they have an extended middle claw, made expressly for disembowling shit. Like people. And they do it, too.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2010, 06:46:34 am »

Actaually there are no known records of people being disembowelled by Cassowaries. There has been only one recorded human death; that of a young man in 1926 who was struck in the neck by a Cassowary, he bled out (as you tend to do when you suffer a neck wound). Cassowaries rarely strike the abdomen, and the largest Cassowary inflicted injury recorded was a puncture wound about 1.5 cm in diameter.

There is also a record of a Cassowary striking a dog in the stomach; the dog was only bruised, but did later die of what is believed to be internal bleeding caused by the blow.

tl:dr - Cassowary danger vastly overstated.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2010, 08:00:21 am »

Maybe that's because humanity, in it's wisdom, already knew what a Cassowary would do to you, and so put up the signs BEFORE there was a serial disembowling!

Did I mention Northern Queensland has Caimans? [/blatant_lie]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:02:15 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2010, 09:37:19 am »

NQ has Saltwater Crocs, Caimans are just cute little round things aren't they?

It is great when your giant river monster(crocodiles) can go for a holiday in the open ocean, and your sea monsters(sharks) can wander up your rivers for a look around...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2010, 10:37:47 am »

We have... erm peasants... and deer?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2010, 10:38:55 am »

And we get seasonal migrations of them tiny little jellyfishy things that put you into a state of inconceicable agony for 2 - 6 weeks.

I saw a discovery channel thingy on some guys doing research on them, one of the girls had an accident and got stung, by one.

She was in hospital, on the absolute 'we can't give you any more morphine because you will literally die' maximum of painkillers, for a month, and she spent the entire month screaming.

Australia has awesome wildlife.

We have... erm peasants... and deer?

You mean Pheasants, peasants are a social class.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2010, 10:43:01 am »

No, it was intentional.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2010, 10:58:04 am »

You hunt peasants?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2010, 11:32:01 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:44:02 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2010, 11:38:11 am »

Maybe that's because humanity, in it's wisdom, already knew what a Cassowary would do to you, and so put up the signs BEFORE there was a serial disembowling!

A scotsman would have hunted them to extinction, and laughed like a madman while doing it.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2010, 12:33:30 pm »

Arizona has black widows. Probably what developed my Arachnophobia.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2010, 07:56:55 pm »

Come to Australia, i'll take you up north and show you our colonial spiders that live in hives of up to a thousand.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:55 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:44:18 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2010, 08:18:15 pm »

Come to Australia, i'll take you up north and show you our colonial spiders that live in hives of up to a thousand.

And how bout the Golden Orb Weavers after that?

And it wouldn't be a trip to Australia without the Sydney Funnel Webs.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2010, 08:56:57 pm »

A scotsman would have hunted them to extinction, and laughed like a madman while doing it.
They wouldn't have bothered, Cassowary makes Haggis look like potato...

The official stance on Cassowary meat is that when preparing it you should include a large rock in the recipe, when the rock is edible then the meat is probably close to done...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14