Scotsmen
- 62 (63.9%)
Aussie
- 19 (19.6%)
other
- 16 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Scotsmen vs. Aussies  (Read 10480 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Scotsmen vs. Aussies
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2010, 12:21:18 pm »

every bird shares the same reptile ancestry

Actually birds are related to dromaeosaurids, or raptors. The velociraptor being the most well known of the group. Dromaeosaurids were not reptiles, rather they were basically birds, being feathered, having warm blood, laying eggs, building nests, hollow bones etc.
Some could also fly (although not Velociraptors, probably.)

Deinonychosauria is the sister clade to modern birds, and was made up of the aforementioned dromaeosaurids as well as troodontids. Birds are, basically, a subset of coelurosaurian theropod dinosaurs and are part of the Maniraptora clade.

Yes, Birds are basically dinosaurs; they've changed very little from their raptor ancestors.

rewinding a bit: i always was of the opinion that dinosaurs should be considered early birds more than reptiles, but i wasnt aware that this was already acepted. when it was said that "chickens follow a direct evolutionary line from Dromaeosaurids" i replied to remark that every bird shared the same ancestry, and if chickens "followed a direct evolutionary line from Dromaeosaurids" so did emus and turkeys

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2010, 04:21:07 pm »

Actually birds are related to dromaeosaurids, or raptors. The velociraptor being the most well known of the group. Dromaeosaurids were not reptiles, rather they were basically birds, being feathered, having warm blood, laying eggs, building nests, hollow bones etc.

Deinonychosauria is the sister clade to modern birds, and was made up of the aforementioned dromaeosaurids as well as troodontids. Birds are, basically, a subset of coelurosaurian theropod dinosaurs and are part of the Maniraptora clade.

Yes, Birds are basically dinosaurs; they've changed very little from their raptor ancestors.

rewinding a bit: i always was of the opinion that dinosaurs should be considered early birds more than reptiles, but i wasnt aware that this was already acepted. when it was said that "chickens follow a direct evolutionary line from Dromaeosaurids" i replied to remark that every bird shared the same ancestry, and if chickens "followed a direct evolutionary line from Dromaeosaurids" so did emus and turkeys

Why do you think turkeys are so aggressive? :D

Anyway, it's pretty much accepted by the scientific community that dinosaurs were the bird forerunners.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2010, 04:31:49 pm »

yes, but for example, in wikipedia, dinosaurs are listed as Class:Reptilia and not as Class:Aves.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2010, 04:34:47 pm »

The line of descent is mostly accepted, but people can't agree on what they actually are, due to the whole "Warm blood" thing, not to mention the fact that reptiles share characteristics with one branch of dinosaur while the birds share characteristics with another one. Considering the massive variety of dinosaurs, the classification itself is pretty hard.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2010, 04:43:46 pm »

I love the current direction of conversation; anyone arriving on the last page without first seeing the intervening ones will no doubt be going "WTF do the classification of extinct ornithological ancestors have to do with the Scottish or Australian nations?"
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2010, 04:52:33 pm »

Well it's simple Scots have chickens, Australians have alligators. To decide who is more badass we need to know whether chickens or alligators are more closely related to dinosaurs.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2010, 05:07:22 pm »

It's chickens. Alligators are directly descended from... well, Alligators. Seriously, they evolved parallel with Dinosaurs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2010, 05:19:33 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:22:43 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »

Australia does not have alligators, that is N. America. We have salt water crocs, that are bigger and meaner (not boasting, they just are).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2010, 07:36:12 pm »

Wrong way around; dinosaurs are not birds, birds are dinosaurs. Most researchers today classify or accept the classification of birds as theropod dinosaurs that evolved during the Mesozoic Era.

So it depends on what you mean by "closely related". If you're looking at physical characteristics and common ancestry, then it's probably alligators (I suspect that the last common ancestor of dinosaurs and alligators is less far away from either than the last dinosaur that was a common ancestor of all birds is from all birds, although I could be wrong). If you're talking cladistically, then yeah, birds are part of whatever clade dinosaurs end up in, so they're essentially zero away, while crocodilians are in a different clade.

Crocodiles and alligators are indeed part of the Archosaur classification, right alongside birds and dinosaurs. The 'first' Archosaurs did indeed look more like lizards than birds, but that was due to a lack of feathers; their bone structure was actually quite similar to that of modern birds.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:48:56 pm by Neruz »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2010, 11:20:25 pm »

Well it's simple Scots have chickens, Australians have Cassowaries. To decide who is more badass we need to know whether chickens or Cassowaries are more closely related to human dismemberment.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2010, 01:39:46 am »

We also have Emus.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2010, 02:41:38 am »

Anyone ever heard of pig chasing? It's a popular sport in Rural austraila. You see, first we have kelpies/bull-arab dogs which track down pigs. Most pigs will be from about 60 to 110 kilos, but they can get heavier, or lighter, depending. Once the dogs have tracked down a pig, they then 'bail it up'. This is when the dog runs around a pig to confuse it (If it's a small dog), or grabs the pig by the ear to hold it (if it's a big dog). At this point, said Australian runs in, proceeds to try and flip, or push over the pig, and then stabs it in the heart with a knife.
. . .

we win
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGem0n9kY9c&feature=related

this didn't seem to get the attention in deserved... the portuguese wrestle bulls!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2010, 04:00:27 am »

Reposting is not badass, sorry :P

jaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2010, 04:38:29 am »

We also have Emus.

Emus, so dangerous they started a war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14