Scotsmen
- 62 (63.9%)
Aussie
- 19 (19.6%)
other
- 16 (16.5%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Scotsmen vs. Aussies  (Read 10517 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Scotsmen vs. Aussies
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2010, 09:25:37 pm »

Chickens eat other birds. That's terrifying.

Emus as giant chickens is actually way off the mark. Chickens follow a direct evolutionary line from Dromaeosaurids.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2010, 08:00:58 am »

every bird shares the same reptile ancestry

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2010, 08:01:52 am »

I was joking.

EDIT: Also, Dinosaurs aren't reptiles. They're Dinosaurs.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2010, 08:31:58 am »

Actually birds are related to dromaeosaurids, or raptors. The velociraptor being the most well known of the group. Dromaeosaurids were not reptiles, rather they were basically birds, being feathered, having warm blood, laying eggs, building nests, hollow bones etc.
Some could also fly (although not Velociraptors, probably.)

Deinonychosauria is the sister clade to modern birds, and was made up of the aforementioned dromaeosaurids as well as troodontids. Birds are, basically, a subset of coelurosaurian theropod dinosaurs and are part of the Maniraptora clade.

Yes, Birds are basically dinosaurs; they've changed very little from their raptor ancestors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2010, 08:33:10 am »

If we are going to include other nationalities, there is an amazonian tribe where the test of manhood is to wear a glove made of stinging ants (which have been individually described as causing the most excruciating pain imaginable) for 10 minutes. If you can't handle it, you are a weak baby, and are shunned until you complete it.

They have to do this, not once, not twice, BUT 20 TIMES before they are manly men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraponera

Damn...sounds like the pain-box from Dune.

I think we've established that Australia is badass, not necessarily Australians. Personally, I'll go with Mongolians. Their children often learn to ride horses before they learn to walk, they engage in wrestling matches just to pass the time, they drink fermented horse milk, they live in felt tents in the middle of nowhere, and conquered a quarter of the planet while riding midget horses.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2010, 08:36:08 am »

Actually birds are related to dromaeosaurids, or raptors. The velociraptor being the most well known of the group. Dromaeosaurids were not reptiles, rather they were basically birds, being feathered, having warm blood, laying eggs, building nests, hollow bones etc.

Deinonychosauria is the sister clade to modern birds, and was made up of the aforementioned dromaeosaurids as well as troodontids. Birds are, basically, a subset of coelurosaurian theropod dinosaurs and are part of the Maniraptora clade.

Yes, Birds are basically dinosaurs; they've changed very little from their raptor ancestors.

Velociraptors are dromaeosaurids?! Okay, there goes my childhood.

(On the other hand, I was right when I thought I was joking. Yee!)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2010, 08:42:17 am »

Velociraptors are dromaeosaurids?! Okay, there goes my childhood.

(On the other hand, I was right when I thought I was joking. Yee!)

Indeed they are. And they most definitely had feathers, as fossil evidence has shown the presence of quill nubs, which pretty much confirms feathers.

Velociraptors probably looked something like this:

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2010, 08:45:39 am »

I know that they're birdlike, it's just that ever since I saw (Doyle's) The Lost World, I assumed they were tiny. And my mental image of Dromaesaurids is closer to the Jurassic Park raptors.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2010, 08:47:00 am »

It's too bad we can't just clone them.they look pretty tasty.Like a physically fit turkey and a duck.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2010, 08:48:42 am »

An adult Velociraptor measured about 2 meters long and half a meter high. So that little guy up there would probably come up to just above your knees.

He also only weighs 15 kilos, so you could pick him up and carry him around if you didn't mind him trying to claw your face off.

Basically, if Dromaesauridae were around today, we'd probably consider them funny looking birds. And we'd be right.

--EDIT--

SCIENCE!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:50:24 am by Neruz »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2010, 08:51:49 am »

Well, Utahraptor

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

was hideously big. Bigger than a Dilophosaur, and more massive.

EDIT: HAHA, google image search for the win.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2010, 08:54:03 am »

Bigger raptor=less chance to miss.Utah would be the number one exporter of chicken if those were around.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2010, 08:55:36 am »

Bigger raptor also means less chance of an immediate kill, unless you're packing an elephant gun. :D

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2010, 08:58:50 am »

True,but That contingency is stated in the fine print of becoming a raptor hunter.They knew the risks.And they shouldn't have worn red shirts.

Oh and on topic of the thread,my vote goes to scotsman.Part of my lineage and such.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2010, 09:11:30 am »

Having observed a flock of chickens dismembering and eating a live mouse, I can totally buy the notion that they're descended from velociraptors.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14