Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [DF2010] Dwarves not using the metalsmith's forge  (Read 6881 times)

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[DF2010] Dwarves not using the metalsmith's forge
« on: May 08, 2010, 04:05:11 am »

I have a problem with my current fortress.  My dwarves will not use the metalsmith's forge that has been built for them.  Nothing in the forge is forbidden, and several dwarves have metalsmithing-related labors enabled, one of which became a legendary blacksmith while in a strange mood where said dwarf commandeered that forge.  Yet, no dwarf will preform normal ordered tasks at the forge, either manaully ordered ones, or ones handed down by the job manager.  I have tried removing and reconstructing the metalsmith's forge, but that produces no change. 

Is this a bug, or is there some esocteric setting that I might have accidentally tripped? 

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: [DF2010] Dwarves not using the metalsmith's forge
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:19:15 am »

Hi!

Mmmmhhh, so the jobs are listed when you 'q'uery the forge, but they never become 'A'ctive there and no dwarf ever makes a cancellation announcement? That's a new one on me.

Are you using burrows in your fortress? That would be the only thing I can think of that would kill job execution without any announcement.

I suggest you activate all cancellation announcements and see if something shows up then. Other than that and looking at your burrows if you use them, I have nothing I can tell you.

Ah, you do have all types of metal jobs activated, right? A blacksmith will not do any metal crafting unless he got metal crafting activated, and a metal crafter will not make that iron grate unless blacksmithing is enabled.

Deathworks

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:30:39 am »

Yes, the jobs are listed but never become active.  No, I have no burrows defined as of yet.  And yes, I believe that I have all the jobs activated that I need to do. 

At the moment I just want to make a few iron chains so I can tie a few war dogs inside the entrance. 

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:41:12 am »

Hi!

Let's see:

Assuming you didn't deactivate announcements:

If you lacked coal or iron bars, or if they were currently tasked to be hauled, thus unavailable, you would get a cancellation announcement. So that is not the case.

If your dwarves couldn't path to the forge or the material, you would also get a cancellation announcement. So, that is not the case either.

You don't have burrows, so they are not to blame (they would not spawn announcements).

You have enabled all the jobs and those dwarves are also idle, I assume...

The only remaining thing I can think of are the workshop properties. If you 'q'uery the workshop, check the workshop 'P'roperties: They allow you to limit who may use a workshop, both by excluding individual dwarves or by defining a skill range within which the dwarf in question has to be.

If you are still not making a progress, I can only assume that it is a bug.

Deathworks

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:12:23 am »

1 more possibility to add to what Deathworks said:

Did you, at any time, recruit the dwarves with the metal craft skill? When recruited, dwarves tend to stop doing civilian work... forever  :-\

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »

People keep saying the dwarfs stop civilian work after being recruited, and I have never seen this happen.  With 5 out of 10 in the squad set to train on a monthly basis, they rotate on and off and I have metalsmiths/weavers what have you also in the military and they will do their jobs when not training.
igless

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 08:15:11 pm »

People keep saying the dwarfs stop civilian work after being recruited, and I have never seen this happen.  With 5 out of 10 in the squad set to train on a monthly basis, they rotate on and off and I have metalsmiths/weavers what have you also in the military and they will do their jobs when not training.

Yeah, it isn't a consistent bug. I've recruited miners and woodcutters without having issues getting them back to work and the militia commander in my last fortress was happily spending some free time working on a screw pump. However, I've also seen dwarves that stop doing any work except hauling the moment they are added in a squad. I haven't noticed a regular patern with the bug yet.

blinking icons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »

Well, it also might have to do with whether they have military skills and whether they train in barracks in my experience. I have put dwarves on and off the military in early forts successfully, but later on they never go back to work.

To be clear, for chains you don't need the blacksmithing labor but the metalcrafter labor.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:57:09 pm by blinking icons »
The Thresher looks sick!
The Thresher looks even more sick!
The Thresher vomits.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 03:51:23 am »

I have yet to recruit any dwarf into my military. 

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 05:14:42 am »

It might be a bug.

If you can, upload the save so people can have a look. Trying to figure out things without being able to test them kinda sucks.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:45:05 am »

I will try.  How do I do that?  Could you post a link to a current walkthrough of how to submit a save? 

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:21:46 am »

Hi!

First of all, you have to know the name of the save directory. If you have not messed around with it, it should be region## (that is region1, region2, region3, ...). The actual directory is shown whenever you select continue playing the game (each entry has two lines).

Go to the subdirectory where you installed DF. In the data/save subdirectory, there will be the save directories of your games. Find the one you want to submit.

Archive that save folder as a zip archive.

Go to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/

Make an account there and the use the site navigation to upload your zipped save directory (that should all be fairly self-explanatory).

Deathworks

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 01:26:50 pm »

Done, the file can be loacted here

See if any of you can figure it out.  If not, bug report!

Head Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 02:22:22 pm »

A similar thing happened to me also. I'd been using a smelter and metalsmith forge outside since the beginning of building my fort then I finally built a place inside to build several smelters and a couple forges. Then dismantled the former smelter and forge. Well, for some reason, they would never do their jobs at the new smelter (the forge still worked though and was right next to the smelters, and I had plenty of coke, charcoal and metal bars nearby).

Then I dug out a new area closer to my other workshops and made some new smelters and forges there and everything worked fine. So I'm thinking it is some sort of pathfinding issue. If you're having this issue, just try building the workshops elsewhere til it does work... or build it outside, see if it works, then move it around inside your fort til it is accessible.

Jeff/HH

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 02:35:21 pm »

I am not certain how pathfinding would affect it.  The fact that it gets built (or deconstructed) in the first place suggests that they can path to it just fine. 
Pages: [1] 2