Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pipe dream.  (Read 1769 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Pipe dream.
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

It would be nice to have the possibility to make pipes for water. Kind of the same way you connect machinery. That way you could more easily decide where to pump up water and a little more controll where it pour out.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Pipe dream.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »

I was kinda hoping that pipes were constructable in this version. Especially since we can already make pipe sections.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

It would be nice not have to build channels. Just run a pipeline on the ground outside.

It would also be nice to have up/down pipes - up would require a screw in every part, and enough power for each part.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

I've laid some of the...  pipe... for pipes...  pipe.  But there's some trickiness.  Ideally, you'd be able to walk on a pipe, walk in a pipe, not see through a pipe, not be able to walk through the walls of a pipe, flow things and freeze things and obsidian stuffs in a pipe, and make interesting T and 5 and 6 and 4 directionally and corner pipe sections and lay them out however.  I'll do it at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »

I don't think up would need any screws, just pressure: to simulate that, you'd have to connect it directly to the pump (otherwise air pressure prevents it from pumping upward), and each pipe to a higher z-level than the pump that is connected to the pump's pipe network would make the pump require +10 mechanical energy (this would, of course, apply only once to the machine network: e.g., a pipe up would cost +10 mechanical energy to the system, regardless of whether it was attached to 1 pump or 11 pumps).

Basically:

code:
~~--\##########
####|##########
####\---%%    #
##########~~~~#

Total energy cost to pump = 30 power (10 power to pump, +10 power for first vertical pipe, +10 power for top elbow pipe)

You might consider adding a small power penalty for each elbow in the pipe, too, to reflect drag due to loss of liquid momentum, so the above system could work out to 34 power or some such.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

I have a simpler, maybe alternative way of having piping.

One part would be making the pumps count as a wall (the side where water is pumped from) this so water doesn't flow backwards (it's very annoying right now to pump water up 5+ levels :S

This way you can create a shaft all the way down say 5 z-levels
at the bottom there's a river/reservoir and a pump the pump is in a part of the shaft, so it's sealed. And then I start pumping. Water is pumped in the shaft and goes upwards (until there's no water left to pump out.)

You could also make it a power requirement (every z-level = 40 power required?)
Piped could be added later once they work, and allow you maybe to have it cheaper (20energy per Z-level with pipes + you can control it more where it ends and all, add valves to close the pip with a lever.

But to not make a new topic as well, please review pumping. It's -very- difficult and time consuming to pump several z levels up (have to work with a reservoir on every level :S The higher i go the more that flows back down trough the pump itself.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »

code:

#######
  %% ####
#####~%% ####
########~%% ####
###########~%% #
##############~~~~~~

I've never had any problems.  Even the mechanics aren't that difficult:

code:

\_/ <-- four windwills heading into the screen, connected below with axles
  /|\
####|##
  %*--*##
#####~%*--*##
########~%*--*##
###########~%* #
##############~~~~~~

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

it works when the mechanics come from the top, if you have water mills then there will be holes for the axels to go trough.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »

You can build a maintenance corridor from beneath in that case, too. ;-)

code:
Top View
#########\
######>## \
###### ##  \
~~~~~%%.#   \
######|##    \
######*##     \
\     #########
\    ##### <##
 \   ##### ###
  \  ##### #~~
   \ ##### ###
    |##### *##

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

The most sound solution for pipes I've ever considered was having them be "tunnels". As in, a section of space enclosed with a certain number of 0-thick walls, kinda like floors. However, these are more like sewers, really wide pipes that allow you to walk through them. I envisioned pipes as something a little less in size.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

Yes, small pipes that dwarves can move and see through would be more useful imho. Otherwise the difference with tunnels we can already make is not obvious, unless we want to cross empty space.