Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Irrational Fears  (Read 2744 times)

Pathos

Irrational Fears
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:49:39 pm »

So, yes, let's hear your fears that are irrational, silly or just plain stupid!

The ones of mine I can think of at the moment:-
- Having an insect land on my private parts whilst I'm sleeping. This terrifies me and I do not know why. I don't mind insects the rest of the time. I don't mean I don't mind them landing on my private parts. You know what I mean.
- Having my feet out from under the quilt / off the edge of the bed. I suppose it's the difference between heat and cool air over my body, but still this horrifies me.
- Not being able to see a part of my room from my bed. I hate not being able to shift over a bit and see everything.

And yours, ladies and gentledwarves?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Irrational Fears
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:51:03 pm »

The same with not being able to see my room. Also, at nighttime, not being able to see every conceivable way to get behind me. I must know that behind me is secure.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:04:00 pm »

Well I easily panic by the knowledge alone that there is a bee/wasp/hornet/whateverthatpanfullystings near me.

Also needles, no not needles but the kind that doctors use. Just watching someone poke a needle on someone on tv makes me shiver.

And heights, I can handle a certain height but from there on my phobia kicks in. (Altough I am not afraid of flying, aslong as I am safely inside a plane or something.)

Hmm.. there are probably more but I don't remember them.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 11:04:43 pm »

Let's see... I have an irrational fear of being caught with my hands covered in red paint, but only because of the irony.

Also, a pen exploding on a test I'm taking. (not an ink explosion.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:11 pm »

- Having my feet out from under the quilt / off the edge of the bed. I suppose it's the difference between heat and cool air over my body, but still this horrifies me.

Dude, that's the best way to sleep.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:10:33 pm »

I don't really have any irrational fears, i do have a fairly strong rational fear of spiders; which is mostly because i live in Australia and if you don't have a rational fear of spiders in Australia you have an extremely short life expectancy.

Other than that, my imagination is somewhat overactive and tends to conjure all kinds of fantastic things lurking in the dark, but i actually enjoy being in the dark, so yeah.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:13:34 pm »

When I was very young I had an irrational fear of the Dark while outside.

When I was a little older I had a slightly less, but still pretty irrational fear of the Coyotes and Boars that might lurk in the dark.

Even today I get a little shiver down my spine taking out the trash at night. Hearing howling doesn't help much either.

Also, this isn't so much a fear, but at one point I was unable to go to sleep if there was even a tiny bit of light visible in my room. I'd have to shove clothes under the doors, draw the blinds, turn my computer off, and hide the alarm under a pillow to get any sleep.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:16:39 pm by Creaca »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:14:36 pm »

I have a very specific height fear modifier: Can I reach/get to somewhere above a great height? Say there is a window before me with a glass door to a foot-wide ledge. Even if the door is locked I would be terrified, as that ledge is technically accessible to somebody. Or a hanging object above a hundred foot drop. Terrifies me.

I used to have a fear of sharp objects and somehow fumbling with them, but I got over that when I got my swiss. And then subsequent Sweetass Knife.

But what terrifies me most of all would be causing pain to somebody I love. Like, I have distinct memories of leaving crap on the floor as a kid and my mother walking over it, sometimes cutting her feet. Goddam, this is perhaps the reason behind the old knife fear.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:15:58 pm »

I used to have an irrational fear of being stung by wasps, but that was overcome by living in a house that was constantly besieged by wasps.  I got to see just easy they are to destroy.

I do have an irrational fear of many arthropods, especially spiders.  Not for anything having to do with stings or bites or whatever.  Bug faces just creep me the fuck out, with all those eyes and mandibles and shit.  Ergo, the bigger and closer the insect, the creepier they are.

There's other little things that do cross my mind at the moment I'm presented with them, like fire or sharp objects or whatever.  I wouldn't call them irrational, because they come and go and don't follow me around.  I certainly can't think of them at the moment.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:20:22 pm »

sharp objects

Ah this reminds me of another irrational fear.
My younger brother (the oldest one of them) tend to wave his hands around when he is talking.
Imagine him doing that in the kitchen, while holding a sharp kinfe.
I'm sure he was just takeing a slice of bread or something, but as paranid as I am..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:38:05 pm by Ultimuh »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:37:08 pm »

When I was little, I was terrified of heights and got horrible, almost to the point of vomiting vertigo.
I got over it by forcing myself to go on rollercoasters (the wooden kind, they're the best).
I also had nightmares about Pyramid Head.

I don't currently have any fear things, but I am nervous around venomous things and having my back open.
Carrying my guitar on my back whenever I'm at school is almost a security blanket thing.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 11:59:07 pm »

I had a serious fear of zombies. At one stage it got so bad i had to have barricades near every door/window in my house so i could quickly fit them in an emergency. Makeshift weapons in every room, trapped garden etc. I've got over the worst now but its still in the back of my mind.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 12:15:26 am »

I can't think of anything I would call irrational.  I have a fear of heights but that seems perfectly rational. I don't like bugs but I grew up where all the bugs are poisonous and bitey. I am a bit paranoid, but then again I've got the scars to prove that not being alert can be a very bad thing. I'll get back to you on this. 

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 12:19:11 am »

Getting blood drawn from me. Now, I can handle the pain of getting the syringe in me, however, I can feel my blood get pulled out of me. Even worse, I can still feel the points I've been drawn from or had an IV poked in. Thinking about it just made me remember the points again. *shudder*

But yeah, it has gotten to the point that I can monitor my consciousness moments before I faint. Not out of fear, but the feeling that takes place. Of course, I think what makes my fainting almost comedic is how blazae I am about it. It would go as simply as: "Okay, that was painful... And now I can't stay upright... okay, now I'm blacking out, get me some water. Down in 3, 2, 1..." *faint*

Of course, I get myself in position so I don't drop like a bag of hammers, and minimize injury/speed up recovery.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 12:21:40 am »

When I was younger I had an irrational fear of ghosts. So my dad made me watch Ghostbusters. I learned two things that day:

1) Ghosts aren't that scary, as long as you know who to call.

2) Sci-fi is awesome.

However, to this day I cannot stand the sight of a centipede.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2 3