Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Theft... $#!*  (Read 10699 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Theft... $#!*
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:00 pm »

Some states have what's known as a "Castle Law" where a person is legally considered a threat to you merely by unlawfully entering your home.

Those that do not often have somewhat unreasonable condidtions as to when someone is a threat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2010, 05:15:12 am »

Well, hope you enjoy your killing of an idiot who was trying to rob you and the 15 years in prison afterward.  ::)
But don't trick yourself into thinking you saved anyone. Exept if you mess with a gang or if that kind of event happen a lot where you live (by that  mean: exept if you live in a crime infested slum, not exept if you live in america but are paranoïd)

Yes because obviously I have perfect intel of the thief's intentions when he breaks into my house, I know for a fact he doesn't have a gun hidden under his shirt, I know for a fact that he just wants to steal some of my stuff.  [/sarcasm]

Heres the thing, I DO NOT KNOW if he's unarmed and harmless, because I won't exactly have time to assess the situation and look for a concealed weapon. The moment he walks onto my premises without permission he is a threat and he has abandoned all rights to life or safety.  Excuse me for being callous, but Me and the people I love are more deserving of life then him.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2010, 09:54:06 am »

So you decide who have the right to live?
Well we all do to a point I guess but that make me, and my country law, say that you deserve about ten years in prison.
Humain life is more important than poperty.

Of course this reasoning doesn't bear if you live in a place where murder during home invasion is common. Maybe those are just less likly to happen here, making me say that the treath is low, while it is rather hight were you live I don' know.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2010, 05:25:45 pm »

That argument doesn't imply when somebody is busting open your door and freaking you out. It is extremely unrealistic to act superior in any way by saying you support an action that involves you sitting there wondering if it is morally correct to shoot a home invader while he rapes your children.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2010, 06:07:34 pm »

My stance is that hitting someone with a taser is less likely to kill them then hitting someone with a gun. If you want to defend yourself, get a taser and let the justice system handle life and death.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2010, 04:41:07 pm »

Thanks much for the advice gentlemen/ladies

I have set about replacing goods (with appropriate tracking implants), and in 5 weeks we will have a German/Husky mix. After a series of shipping errors, Dell has finally accepted my order my new computer should arrive before summer break.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »

Good choice of dog. Husky mixes tend to be pretty stable.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2010, 05:55:31 pm »

Quote from: Phmcw
I decide to defend my life. That's my right as an organism, I don't care what country you're from.

Humain life is more important than poperty.
I don't know whether he threatens my life or just my property. In order to secure my life, I need to make some assumptions. I would rather kill someone who would probably have killed me, than to take the chance and end up dead. Again, I choose my life over the life of some criminal scumbag. I choose my life over a hundred thousand criminal scumbags. Nobody else in the world is going to care enough about me at that moment to secure my safety.

Of course this reasoning doesn't bear if you live in a place where murder during home invasion is common. Maybe those are just less likly to happen here, making me say that the treath is low, while it is rather hight were you live I don' know.
You wake up and a huge guy is there. I bet your first reaction on reading that was not "Let's go grab a cup of tea in the kitchen and figure out whether you're here to rape and murder us all, or if you just want my TV. Because if you just want my TV, you're welcome to it. You certainly seem to need it more than me, to support your cocaine habit."

If someone breaks into my place and I'm in there, he has basically given up the right to certain amounts of his blood and the functions of certain body parts, depending on how fast he can run. Or maybe he takes me down first. But a burglar needs to know that's a risk he takes every time he destroys the frail illusion of safety that four walls and a roof gives us.

And maybe if a burglar is found the next day with his entrails strewn in the kitchen of a house, and the police are taking a statement from the owner, and there are a bunch of wailing crack babies in a tenement somewhere, maybe seeing that on TV will make other burglars think twice about this life of crime thing.

Of course, maybe I'd get killed in a drive-by in retaliation.

Point is, I'm not going to just lie there with my wallet out and my ass in the air, hoping I survive one more day. I am not a sea cucumber. I am a running, fighting omnivore with blood in my veins and a will to live. If my claws and teeth must keep me alive in defiance of a predator in the dark of night, then I will rip and shred and scream until that blood fails me.

I look down upon anyone who would do less.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2010, 07:05:45 am »

Leaving a radio in a room, audible from near the front door is also a good deterrent.
I know nothing about guns... I live in Australia... Few own guns here, and it's pretty strict... The problem at the moment is kids with knives... And people getting stabbed; There aren't so many deaths as people winding up in hospital.

When I was 13, a burglar (at least I'm pretty sure he was a burglar) started walking up the path to the door (rather large garden). Was bloody scary, but I turned the light on and got two knives and started making a loud blade-sharpening noise... I heard him leaving the property pretty quickly.

We have dogs now, loud ones, so nobody would be stupid enough to try, as everybody would hear.

[EDIT:] And now after reading the rest of the thread, I see a lot of hyperbole on both sides... And some people are awfully paranoid... I don't want to take sides really, but I want to add some hyperbole of my own; if someone breaking into your house *could* be wanting to kill you... And you shoot them in the head because of that... Then couldn't *anybody* on the street be aiming to kill you? You don't know... The next seemingly innocent, pram pushing new mother on the street could really be a COLD BLOODED MURDERER!!! BETTER SHOOT THEM BEFORE THEY KILL YOU. :o
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:20:00 am by Red Fortune »
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2010, 07:40:45 am »

There's a difference between walking down the street and forcing yourself into somebody's home in the middle of the night.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2010, 08:10:33 am »

I agree with the fact that you have the right to defend yourself if you life is put at risk. I disagree that home invasion alone suffice to justify such a reaction. At least evidence that the robber is bearing weapon is needed. Else you're being selfish. i's not because somebody is doing something illegal that he loose all its right. Even if it put you in a dangerous situation.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:54 am »

Well, there's always a chance that a seemingly average person will murder you... I thought you were saying "There's a chance they ARE trying to kill me!" But I may be wrong.

And yes, I believe there is an element of selfishness to those kinds of ideals.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2010, 03:28:03 pm »

I agree with the fact that you have the right to defend yourself if you life is put at risk. I disagree that home invasion alone suffice to justify such a reaction. At least evidence that the robber is bearing weapon is needed. Else you're being selfish. i's not because somebody is doing something illegal that he loose all its right. Even if it put you in a dangerous situation.

K, send me an address, I'll send someone to your house to take your shit.

Seriously, it's very easy to grandstand and act morally superior until you're in the situation yourself.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:28 pm »

I've never been attacked and that's why I pro gun regulation.
I've never been robbed and that's why I'm considerate about robber.
I've never lost anyone important and that's why I'm an atheist.
You've watched fox news too much and that's why you use this kind of argument.

Edit : this is a "there is no atheist in foxholes" kind of argument, or rather a derivative as Garkin was assuming that being robed would change my mind.
I was suggesting him to watch fox news a bit less. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:16:41 pm by Phmcw »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2010, 04:07:20 pm »

I've never been attacked and that's why I pro gun regulation.
I've never been robbed and that's why I'm considerate about robber.
I've never lost anyone important and that's why I'm an atheist.
You've watched fox news too much and that's why you use this kind of argument.
....wait what?
I can't even understand this...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8