Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Theft... $#!*  (Read 10695 times)

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Theft... $#!*
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 04:00:37 pm »

To be real honest,if a guy breaks into your house,and you shoot him,it's far less of a hassle if he actually dies,as strange as that is.
There's way too many cases where a burglar was shot,did not die,and the courts ruled that obviously,the home owner didn't shoot to kill,thus he was not in mortal danger.The burglar gets re compensated.
Fucked up,ain't it.
Same thing,for example,if a hulking brute comes at you unarmed attempting to break your neck,and you shoot and kill him.Under a lot of laws,you weren't justified because he was "unarmed".
 If i can remember the case,i'll link it,but some kid's dad went berserk,killed the mom and his sister,the kid shot him as he was running towards him,and the kid goes to jail as well because the dad was not armed.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 05:03:16 pm »

What are we Knights? "You have slain an unarmed foe in the field of combat, and for this unjust treatment of your enemy you shall forfeit all titles, wealth, and your family shall be scratched from history and sent to exile deep in the wilds. Make peace with your loved ones." Imagine the line after Agincourt.

Absurd. I believed governments had at least a shred of common sense, but i guess not  :D
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2010, 06:53:05 pm »

Just remember, this is one of those "You don't have to outrun the bear, just the slowest of your friends." Or in this case, neighbors. As long as your house looks more secure and like a less lucrative target than at least one of your nearby neighbors, you are probably not gonna get robbed. No one will fight their way through a dog and a security system to get at $1000 when a neighbor has $2000 and unlocked doors. Well, unless they are drunk; but that's another case altogether.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010, 11:55:24 am »

The amount of poeple thinking that guns are a good thing in a robbery baffle me.
I don't know about thieves in America, but here, they usually want to steal things. So 1) They try not to get in house when poeple are inside, 2) They do not harm said persons unless they have to. For instance, when said person are armed. So get locks, dog and alarms. Try to have a sheriff who is not too lazy.
And don't have guns at home because if they steal them, who know what they will use them to/ who hey will sell them to.

Edit: I forgot to add that I find he number of poeple who feel like it's ok to shoot a thief equally worrying.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:58:58 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2010, 04:53:17 pm »

My Dad/Stepmom's house was raided TWICE. IN 6 MONTHS.

It sucked :(
Let's see...We lost a Wii/Playstation 2. Twice. DANGIT.
I had to help my dad write a list of EVERY SINGLE GAME we owned. Which was a lot.

Luckily the second time we were on vacation, and the first time I was at home with my mom/stepdad. And my laptop NEVER leaves the room I am in. EVER.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:56 am »

What if you want to get laid?

Joking aside, a good insurance policy can actually make disastrous events profitable. I upgrade from D&D 3.0 to 3.5 when my house burned down!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2010, 12:33:42 am »

-sets house on fire-
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »

Edit: I forgot to add that I find he number of poeple who feel like it's ok to shoot a thief equally worrying.

I think it's worrying that someone would break into my house, take my family hostage, rape and steal and destroy, and leave without anything bad happening to them. I think it's worrying that any person, who is inherently an organism seeking its own survival, would believe that a thief should just be able to walk away from that.

I think it's entirely fitting, if someone breaks in and attacks you in your sleep, for you to defend yourself. And killing your attacker is entirely within the bounds of self-defense in these cases.

If you don't agree, please explain your rationale, because as far as I can tell defense of the self and offspring is the most basic component of all animal life as we know it, with reproduction a secondary concern, and others trailing well behind.

If one hundred people attack me, I will fight for my life even to the extent of killing every one of them (assuming that's even possible!), and I would not look at that as a bad moral choice on my part. Plainly, I would trade the lives of a hundred people for my own in that case. I cannot be expected to just lie down and die. Nobody can.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2010, 05:27:51 am »

Because they are thief, not zombies... :o
I don't know about your thieves, but ours want to steal, not to rape you with a cactus.
So they enter, when they think there is no one home, get what they want (including your stupid gun) and leave. If you're home, make some noise, that will make them leave. Call he police beforehand of course.
If they have no weapon and you shoot them, you're the one going to prison for murder, very logically.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2010, 05:45:28 am »

Because they are thief, not zombies... :o
I don't know about your thieves, but ours want to steal, not to rape you with a cactus.
So they enter, when they think there is no one home, get what they want (including your stupid gun) and leave. If you're home, make some noise, that will make them leave. Call he police beforehand of course.
If they have no weapon and you shoot them, you're the one going to prison for murder, very logically.

If someone breaks into my house, how do I know he's not going to stab me? How do I know that he's just here for my lewt? Do your thieves come up to your house, knock and politely say, "Excuse me sir, but I am going to rob your house in an hour, could you please not kill me?, I will not hurt you or your family, Thank you, sir."

If I see someone strange break into my house as far as I'm concerned he's a Raping-Serial Killing-Nazi-barbarian-evil worshiping theif who would like nothing better then give me a slow tortuous death.

Besides, prison is worth it if I protect those I consider family.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 06:08:10 am »

Well, hope you enjoy your killing of an idiot who was trying to rob you and the 15 years in prison afterward.  ::)
But don't trick yourself into thinking you saved anyone. Exept if you mess with a gang or if that kind of event happen a lot where you live (by that  mean: exept if you live in a crime infested slum, not exept if you live in america but are paranoïd)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2010, 06:35:01 am »

The amount of poeple thinking that guns are a good thing in a robbery baffle me.
I don't know about thieves in America, but here, they usually want to steal things. So 1) They try not to get in house when poeple are inside, 2) They do not harm said persons unless they have to. For instance, when said person are armed. So get locks, dog and alarms. Try to have a sheriff who is not too lazy.
And don't have guns at home because if they steal them, who know what they will use them to/ who hey will sell them to.

Roughly half of the pwople murdered in Toledo in 2009 were killed in home invasions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2010, 09:10:12 am »

Where did you get that satistic?

Also, forgive me but I'm not sure of the meaning of your sentence? Does it mean that half the murder in this town (you mean toledo in the US right?) are caused by roberry, or that half of the murder commited in this town take place at the victim's house? Because if it's the former, I'm not impressed. If it's the first then  :o
... no gun control suck.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2010, 09:11:45 am »

I live in Toledo (the one in Ohio.) Half of our unusually high number of murders were committed in the victims home by home invaders. In at least two cases, the perpetrators deliberately targeted houses where people were home in case they had their valuables with them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2010, 06:31:41 pm »

Well, hope you enjoy your killing of an idiot who was trying to rob you and the 15 years in prison afterward.  ::)
But don't trick yourself into thinking you saved anyone. Exept if you mess with a gang or if that kind of event happen a lot where you live (by that  mean: exept if you live in a crime infested slum, not exept if you live in america but are paranoïd)

That's not quite how it works in American courts. If you wake up and there is someone breaking into your house, and you go downstairs with a club of some kind and see him taking stuff, and you smack him and he dies, you aren't going to jail for manslaughter. Maybe if you can't post bail you have to wait in jail until your court appearance. And maybe if you don't have money for an attourney and you have to rely on a public defender who will just do a plea deal. I'm not sure about that.

But generally, you can defend yourself using as much force as is used against you with zero consequences. You can quite often get away with defending yourself using additional force, if you can convince the jury that the circumstances warranted it (it was dark, you were protecting other people too, you were outnumbered, you were surprised, the attacker was really big). And intrusion into the home can be viewed as a potential assault on your person if you're in there, because as a resident you really don't know what his intentions are so you have to assume the worst.

Honestly I wouldn't live in a country where a guy can break in and I just have to sit there watching him do things and hope he doesn't kill anyone. That ridiculous and dehumanizing. It's a degradation of the human spirit to know that your government demands that of you. That your government values the life of some scumbag more than you and your whole family.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8