Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Theft... $#!*  (Read 10671 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Theft... $#!*
« on: May 07, 2010, 05:51:31 pm »

So quite recently someone has broken into my house and stolen my basic needs (computer + games), over 500$ and more...    :'(

So i need some advice on how to prevent this from occuring in the future...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Pathos

Re: Theft... $#!*
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:56:24 pm »

Locks are useless. Security systems (or even false ones displayed on the outside of your house) and you openly practicing with guns are the best ideas. If you're really THAT worried, you might like to get a large dog, too.

Oh, and having security cameras up with the tapes in secure storage somewhere is also a good idea.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »

Locks are useless. Security systems (or even false ones displayed on the outside of your house) and you openly practicing with guns are the best ideas. If you're really THAT worried, you might like to get a large dog, too.

Oh, and having security cameras up with the tapes in secure storage somewhere is also a good idea.

Yes I've learned locks are useless (they opened the door with a crowbar), I wouldn't really trust a security system considering how lazy the cops are in my area and the cost... We are getting a german shepard though, always wanted a dog, even if it can rip my face off.

I had considered land mines but thats a no-no  >:(

it will be a while (a week +) before we get the insurance money and even longer (2 weeks +) before i recieve a new computer, any ideas on securing items before hand?
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Pathos

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 06:15:21 pm »

I wouldn't really trust a security system considering how lazy the cops are in my area and the cost... We are getting a german shepard though, always wanted a dog, even if it can rip my face off.

A security system is just discouragement. That's all any of this advice is. You're discouraging people from robbing your house as it's high risk compared to the return. As is the dog. You might also like to get a fairly loud dog, so that people know it's there. Oh, and a sign saying, "WARNING DOG". Locks don't discourage, they just slow people down. I could break into almost any house given a hammer.

If you're EXCEPTIONALLY paranoid, and have a back garden wall, you might like to consider some of those greases that absolutely stink, or some barbed wire / shards of glass, and just put them at the top of the wall. They also discourage pigeons and kids from trying to climb over.

it will be a while (a week +) before we get the insurance money and even longer (2 weeks +) before i recieve a new computer, any ideas on securing items before hand?

Just use public library computers or whatever. You're on a friend's / family member's? I don't see a real problem with that. If you want games at the moment, I'd suggest grabbing them off eBay or playing free ones. If they stole a bunch of cash, it'd allow you to make some back.

Like I said, a gun that you regularly "practice" with (it can just be an air rifle / pistol out in your back garden) will discourage any thieves that stake out houses.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

I'll have to share these ideas, the yard doesn't have walls, but is borded with trees and high grass which could be excellent for hidding presents. Already planning on geting a gun a 9MM, i would like something larger and more intimidating (AK-47?).

I'm stranded at my fathers house for a week so computer access isn't really a problem (but his laptop is horrible).

The thief(s) where exceptionally retarded and managed to steal all my broken games (excluding the ones inside the systems) so cash lost from stolen games isn't that high (originally: 120$ ish Now: 70-90 ish). But did manage to make it off with a berretta (that spelled right?) 12g. shotgun which was our home defense, but will of course be replaced...
— Commander Fleyitch

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:37:04 pm »

For home defense a shotgun really is best. Shotguns have a wide spread and so are easy to aim. Just point and shoot. Pistols are smaller, yes, but aim is important with them.

A rifle is just a bad idea. Its a long range weapon, and not useful at close range where its large size becomes a factor. Also depending on where you are located, its probably illegal as well. Automatic weapons have been illegal in the US since the 1930's, IIRC.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 06:45:33 pm »

For home defense a shotgun really is best. Shotguns have a wide spread and so are easy to aim. Just point and shoot. Pistols are smaller, yes, but aim is important with them.

A rifle is just a bad idea. Its a long range weapon, and not useful at close range where its large size becomes a factor. Also depending on where you are located, its probably illegal as well. Automatic weapons have been illegal in the US since the 1930's, IIRC.

They're not illegal where i live, you can't turn on full auto without just cause and i believe home defense is just cause. The clip has to be limited (i think 5 rounds or less). I can't fire a shotgun (nearly dislocated my shoulder) so i have to go with a weapon with less recoil.
— Commander Fleyitch

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:59:57 pm »

Also be very wary of where you store your gun. YOU DO NOT WANT THE THIEF GETTING IN BETWEEN YOU AND THE WEAPON!

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 07:41:43 pm »

Also be very wary of where you store your gun. YOU DO NOT WANT THE THIEF GETTING IN BETWEEN YOU AND THE WEAPON!

Well that would be quite stupid.

Thanks for the advice Guys/Gals if you have any other suggestions feel free to share them
— Commander Fleyitch

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:03:46 pm »

Everyone is speaking against LOCKS?  Honestly, a deadbolt prevents alot of crime.  There are thiefs out there who check the door to see if it's left unlocked and then move onto the next house.  Having a porch light on at night is a large discouragement to theifs as it makes it easier for them to be spotted and identified.  Make it a motion sensor light if you want to save on your electricity bills.  Make it a motion sensor light attached to a megaspeaker and a hit backsteet boys song if you really want to make him cranky. 

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:01:33 pm »

Having a porch light on at night is a large discouragement to theifs as it makes it easier for them to be spotted and identified.  Make it a motion sensor light if you want to save on your electricity bills.  Make it a motion sensor light attached to a megaspeaker and a hit backsteet boys song if you really want to make him cranky.
This. The key to house burglary is to not get caught, or take high risks. So even if you live in a really crappy area where police response time is slow, having huge lights and sounds go off will spook the thief off unless he's an amateur thief or stupid.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 09:21:25 pm »

Do note noisy alarms scare away crooks real quick like, and having an obvious-looking security system will drive people away. Why rob you when there is a home next door that doesn't look rigged to set off a sonic boom of alarm?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 09:26:34 pm »

Also, a pump-shotgun cocking is the universal "Run, punk, run!" sound.
Shoes...

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:32:19 pm »

Do note noisy alarms scare away crooks real quick like, and having an obvious-looking security system will drive people away. Why rob you when there is a home next door that doesn't look rigged to set off a sonic boom of alarm?

Because our house has no other nearby houses other than a ruined mobile home, recycling year old beer cans, and rusted metal doesn't sound like a good haul...

In semi-related news: anyone have a reccomendation for a new computer (preferably a laptop & under 1500$)?
— Commander Fleyitch

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 10:49:44 pm »

The sound system warning is an awesome defense. My neighbors have theirs set up so loud that when someone tried to rob them, the sheriff guy of our area was actually woken up by the noise. That is sweet.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8