Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advice on megaprojecting...  (Read 590 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advice on megaprojecting...
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:46:27 pm »

I have a school project right now but next week I can start working on the megaproject I'm planning.

I don't want to give anything about the nature of the project away yet... but lets say I'm going to need some advice on building above ground spheres.

Three parts of the project will be above ground, while one will be carved out of the mountain (already read retros wiki page on mining megaprojects... thanks). Also it will cut straight through the caverns until it reaches the magma and I'll leave it open to the magma. Think I might use the magma damming method to stop the cavern waters.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:02:48 pm by darkrider2 »

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on megaprojecting...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:49:43 pm »

One, are you modding the RAW folder in your save? Instead of df_31_03>raw, go to df_31_03>data>save>regionX>raw. Mod that.

Secondly, I heard that SPEED: 0 is bugged. Try SPEED: 1. Something with pathfinding, apparently.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:02:11 pm »

That did the trick. thanks Rotten.

never seen dwarves move that fast...

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:16:07 pm »

One, are you modding the RAW folder in your save? Instead of df_31_03>raw, go to df_31_03>data>save>regionX>raw. Mod that.

Secondly, I heard that SPEED: 0 is bugged. Try SPEED: 1. Something with pathfinding, apparently.
Speed: 0 isn't bugged