Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which Antivirus?  (Read 1680 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Which Antivirus?
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:37:09 pm »

My Norton subscription will expire in about a month, and instead of renewing it, I'm thinking of trying another antivirus (having heard a lot of bad stuff about Norton). of course, I'm concerned with security quite a bit, but also performance. After a PC gets infected, even if it heals completely it just feels... tainted. I feel uncomfortable using it. I also don't want to have an antivirus that bricks by PC from all the scanning etc.

Any suggestions?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which Antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:44:11 pm »

Yea, both MacAfee and Norton suck and have their problems.

Anyways, AVG is a good one and is available for free.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 04:50:15 pm »

AVG. Never complained.

<waits for Blacken to arrive and tell us we know no shit>

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »

Kapersky

'Nuff said.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:29:30 pm »

If you are willing to pay, Kapersky is an excellent program.

AVG is shit, and Grisoft has a history of being a severe bunch of assholes with their software. Avast is alright, but is bit of a resource hog. Microsoft's own Security Essentials has some features that nobody else seems to have, keeps their definitions up to date very nicely, integrates into Windows Update, and requires comparatively few resources. I see no good reason to use anything else.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:45:07 pm »

Don't use one. Viruses only can run if you run a program embedded with a virus. All you have to do is enable file extensions and don't run anything suspicious.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:49:14 pm »

Viruses can run in the background, often having their own startup entry, so having no antivirus is the worst thing you could ever do.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 12:07:54 am »

Viruses can only be activated if you run the suspicious program in the first place.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:12:04 am »

That's true, somewhat. Ever heard of Drive By viruses? And even programs that don't look suspicious can have viruses. Not only that, but there's also Browser Exploits.

You are still missing a lot of security by not having an antivirus. No matter how careful you are you WILL miss something.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 01:02:46 am »

Viruses can only be activated if you run the suspicious program in the first place.
Wanna bet? Clearly you've never heard of BART or MPack or Squirtle or AttackAPI. Clearly you also haven't heard of MITM attacks. Or XSS. Or how very, very dangerous all of the above can be.

Hint: this is another topic you don't know anything about. Why do you persist on broadcasting your cluelessness? Is doing a little bit of research just that impossible for you?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:08:00 am by Blacken »
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 01:05:43 am »

There are viruses that run without social engineering.

That being said, I don't use any kind of virus scanner on my linux box, which is probably a Bad Idea too…

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 01:29:23 am »

ESET NOD32. It's the best antivirus there is, simply put.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 05:01:28 am »

No it's not. it's complete shit, and fails to detect a load of stuff. Use kaspersky.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 05:58:52 am »

I use avast. AVG has been troublesome from 2 years ago onwards. It simply eats far too many resources.

BTW: Before anyone mentions avira:There's stuff it fails to detect. Like virut, for instance.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:33:33 am »

Avast. Free and easy, and it's kept me virus free.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2