Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: Worst Artifacts ever!  (Read 75509 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Artifacts ever!
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 07:52:43 pm »

I once got an artifact short skirt.  That was pretty bad.  It was decorated with the sort of inane things you'd see at a fashion show.  Not exactly the ideal throne room

Wouldn't a worn artifact made of silk, cloth, or leather wear down?
It shouldn't. Artifacts are suppose to be indestructible. Though I'm not certain I've really seen this in action

I've heard of an artifact quiver igniting and killing dozens of loot-happy dwarves.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2010, 09:26:26 pm »

I had a wooden artifact floodgate burn for two years after a brush fire lapped up against my walls and the 3 floodgate wide trade caravan entrance. I lost 3 dwarves trying to deconstruct it and another hauling it to some water. After it was put out, I was able to build it back into place, this time with a paved road to keep brush fires away from the gate.
 My worst was a blowgun artifact, no ammo and no dwarf could use it. Put it into a weapon trap by itself in a meeting room was the only thing I could do with it but did not cause I did not want the job cancellation spam: Urist McMechanic cancels load trap, no ammo.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2010, 01:42:42 am »

Avum Gan, The Culmination Of Dishes.
"This is a barrel. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of wild strawberry in Pink tourmaline."

It's pink, and sparkly, is named after dishes, and has a picture of strawberries on it.

I thought, OK, I'll at least have a nice thematic place to store some strawberry wine. My dwarves, however, are currently storing fish in it.

That's bound to end  in someone having a terrible stomach ache.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2010, 03:23:40 am »

Artifact blowgun.  3 bars of wood and one raw gem for a useless $7800 item.  Honestly I would trade the stupid thing to the kobolds for some cloth and food if I could. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »

You can't sell artifacts to nobody ever.

Well that makes any artifact that isn't furniture, weaponry, armour or placeable very pointless indeed. \o/

Well, they:
  • Boost a dwarf to legendary, unless he was possessed, which is always awesome and generally of far larger importance than the artifact itself, no matter how useful it might be.
  • Raise your fortress wealth a usually huge amount, which, if I'm not mistaken, makes your fort attract more migrants... yay?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2010, 08:48:05 pm »

Trussscrape the godly savageries it is decorated with golden larch wood and has rings of variscite on the item there is an image of an in yew wood.What the fuc* is an an?It was a toy hammer and I think it got stolen,good riddance.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:53:49 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2010, 01:37:47 am »

Well, they:
  • Boost a dwarf to legendary, unless he was possessed, which is always awesome and generally of far larger importance than the artifact itself, no matter how useful it might be.
  • Raise your fortress wealth a usually huge amount, which, if I'm not mistaken, makes your fort attract more migrants... yay?
True. It also makes it more attractive to raiders.

Also value can swing wildly, though it's basically related to the value of the materials you have laying around in your fort. Current fort I have ir closing in on ten years and the first artifact made here was a 7200 value palm crutch and the latest was a 613,200 value adamantine crown.

I kinda wish I could assign it to my Countess.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2010, 05:06:54 am »

I had a posessed dwarf make a green glass chain. No engravings, no decorations, just a green glass chain. Stupid sexy dwarfs.

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2010, 01:29:52 pm »

A toy bone boat, made out of the bones of the mayor.

I lost the fortress to lots of fun, but the memory remains.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2010, 09:10:53 pm »

Well, they:
I've noticed several dwarves that "withdraws from society" didn't get a skill boost.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2010, 10:03:00 pm »

I'm using an older version of the Genisis mod by Deon...

I just had a peasant go fey. The product?
"This is a peat amulet. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with peat and encircled with bands of peat. This object menaces with spikes of peat."

Before that, I got "Ashmondur", or "Shadyfists."

" This is a chalk bracelet. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with chalk. This object menaces with spikes of chalk."

Thus far I have been disappointed in the 25 dwarves I've limited this fort to. I haven't set up a working booze factory yet and the water on this map freezes. I'm tempted to just let them all die of thirst for SEVERE RETARDATION.

Well, they:
I've noticed several dwarves that "withdraws from society" didn't get a skill boost.

Dwarves that "withdraw from society" are possessed, I believe. Possessed dwarves don't get a skill boost, presumably because while it's their body doing the work, the mind behind the artistry is another's.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:05:49 pm by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

WumpusKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2010, 12:03:07 am »

"Withdraws from society" is a secretive mood. It just means they won't shout what they need and instead they'll draw pictures of what they need. Better than prancing about, certainly.

It will actually say "Urist McLamer has been possessed!" if he's possessed. It always sucks.

More on topic.. a Larch bracelet worth 127,200 dwarfbux. Not only is it particularly Elfy already, the platinum nuggets I locked into the room with the dwarf were used to depict The Thirteenth Journey of the elf Iki Tameglossed. A damn waste of platinum.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2010, 05:19:30 am »

I once got an artifact short skirt.  That was pretty bad.  It was decorated with the sort of inane things you'd see at a fashion show.  Not exactly the ideal throne room

Wouldn't a worn artifact made of silk, cloth, or leather wear down?
It shouldn't. Artifacts are suppose to be indestructible. Though I'm not certain I've really seen this in action

I've heard of an artifact quiver igniting and killing dozens of loot-happy dwarves.
As far as I know, artifacts that catch on fire never actually get destroyed, they just keep on burning forever. I've heard of people leaving them outside and watching kobolds try to steal them.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2010, 02:16:47 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:15:41 pm by Bronimin »

daego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2010, 02:32:24 pm »

I had a tower cap flood gate. It was crafted of the highest quality. It had no decorations, no menacing spikes, nothing. It was worth a few hundred bux at most. Lame.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32