Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Worst Artifacts ever!  (Read 75480 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Artifacts ever!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 02:58:40 am »

A lignite quern.  It was worth 48,000 so I ended up sticking it in the baron's room, but still...from a practicality standpoint, I don't think lignite is the best material for grinding food.  Unless you like your dwarven flour to be fortified with the smooth pilsner flavor of ancient peat, that is, or want your cloth dyed a lovely shade of sewage.

Of course, it just had to be a possessed mood so the peasant that made it promptly returned to hauling stone and garbage after the fact.

Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 04:32:34 am »

my two worst artifacts right now are a wood and a rock floodgate.  They have cool pictures on them though, and are buildable, so they aren't that useless.

I've also got an electrum pick, a dog leather backpack with a picture of the pick, a steel crown.

The best is an adamantine short sword decorated with obsidian and some kind of exotic leather, and bears an image of itself on it.  It is worth over 800k dwarf bucks.  Interesting to note, the weaponsmith grabbed some crappy rock blocks as his first item, which i promptly forbid.  He then grabbed some adamantine and later for his rock block requirement grabbed obsidian.  I wonder to what extent i influenced the creation of the artifact by forbidding the first item after he'd brought it to the forge.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 05:05:07 am »

Interesting to note, the weaponsmith grabbed some crappy rock blocks as his first item, which i promptly forbid.  He then grabbed some adamantine and later for his rock block requirement grabbed obsidian.  I wonder to what extent i influenced the creation of the artifact by forbidding the first item after he'd brought it to the forge.

Forbidding the items means he'll search for a replacement. If you unforbid them again before he starts building then he'll use those times as well. This is how 'quantum' artifacts can be created (with hundreds of items in them), but most people consider this an exploit.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42:37 am »

I had a dwarf go into a fell mood, and was stoked.  I expected something like a baby-bone shield, or a pair of dwarf leather pants, or something wicked like that that would at least be ominous to have around- even if I didn't have much use for it.

What happened?  He ran to the nearest refuse stockpile, picked up the first dead vermin he saw, and cranked out a Fluffy Wambler Earing, decorated with Fluffy Wambler fluff.

How the hell does a dwarf go into a fell mood, and make something that damn cute?

That's actually hilarious.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 08:23:27 am »

A lignite quern.  It was worth 48,000 so I ended up sticking it in the baron's room, but still...from a practicality standpoint, I don't think lignite is the best material for grinding food.  Unless you like your dwarven flour to be fortified with the smooth pilsner flavor of ancient peat, that is, or want your cloth dyed a lovely shade of sewage.

Of course, it just had to be a possessed mood so the peasant that made it promptly returned to hauling stone and garbage after the fact.
Ash Barrel
   Plump Helmet [3]
   Plump Helmet
   Plump Helmet [7]
   Flour Bag
      !!Flour!!
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 02:25:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The object is worth like 876,650 =(

This one is worth over 1,100,000 Dwarfbucks, but its badass
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

a stone bed covered in spikes?
sounds pretty useless and unpleasant to me
noble of your choice
Even if dwarves cared about the spikes, there's always a use for sharp objects.

It's magma-safe. Ideal for nobles!

My most useless was in 40d. A tower-cap blowgun. Which menaced with spikes of tower-cap.
On a map with NO FUCKING TREES. Not only was it totally fucking useless because nobody could use it, but it couldn't be thrown in a trap due to lack of ammo, and it USED UP A LOG. A precious log that was earmarked for a bed. In the first year, no less. I dragged that log all the way from the mountainhome, and he turned it into a blowgun.
It was a possession as well, so not even a legendary bowyer.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 03:30:27 pm »

It's not an artifact yet, and it's not likely to ever become one, but my metalcrafter is demanding zinc bars and rough gems. In the middle of a demonic invasion.

EDIT: I walled him into the forge so that he might survive the demon purge. He went berko and attacked the mason who walled them in together...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:15:04 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Fluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 04:08:00 pm »

I had a dwarf go into a fell mood, and was stoked.  I expected something like a baby-bone shield, or a pair of dwarf leather pants, or something wicked like that that would at least be ominous to have around- even if I didn't have much use for it.

What happened?  He ran to the nearest refuse stockpile, picked up the first dead vermin he saw, and cranked out a Fluffy Wambler Earing, decorated with Fluffy Wambler fluff.

How the hell does a dwarf go into a fell mood, and make something that damn cute?

Fluff cancels normal life: Terrified beyond belief.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 04:27:23 pm »

"Peaknights" This is a pigtail fiber left mitten. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it is encircled with bands of pigtail fiber. It is made from pigtail fiber cloth.

Well Thannnk Youuu Michael.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 04:38:51 pm »

"Peaknights" This is a pigtail fiber left mitten. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it is encircled with bands of pigtail fiber. It is made from pigtail fiber cloth.

Well Thannnk Youuu Michael.

Could be worse.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 08:37:33 pm »

A Diorite mug. My stonecrafter got possessed, grabbed a dozen rocks, and cranked out the best cup ever. Too bad they're useless.

Also, does it seem like possessions turn out less useful artifacts to anyone else?
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 11:48:00 pm »

noble of your choice
Sounds like an S&M kind of item too me. The spikes are obvious, the rings could be restraint anchors and the red color of the bauxite is quite fetching too.
Akur Akir Akam!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:47 am »

the red color of the bauxite is quite fetching too.

It hides the blood.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

king of xanth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 12:16:57 am »

noble of your choice
Sounds like an S&M kind of item too me. The spikes are obvious, the rings could be restraint anchors and the red color of the bauxite is quite fetching too.

alas, that fort was lost. was not paying attention and somehow collapsed a large section of cavern into a water filled cave. quite a few dwarves fell and drowned. it involved alot of water and my version of a trash chute. basically was going to place unwanted items and garbage into a pit and flush them into the magma somehow. didnt really work out. after that i carved a path to one of the caves to get into and out of them safely and abandoned. im actually playing a few forts to play around with adventure mode in a pocket region anyhow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32