Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The 32x32 Tileset Project - Graphical DF  (Read 6520 times)

paxanadu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The 32x32 Tileset Project - Graphical DF
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:34:18 pm »

Facts: 800x600 resolution is passé.  1920x1080 resolution is cheap today.  2560x1600 resolution is the way of tomorrow (well, its already available today but at a whopping 1600$ -ouch- so it ain't actually maintream... yet!).

Tired of squinting your eyes trying to *guess* at the graphics, rather than simply admire it while getting a clear, immediate and 100% instinctive image of just what is what?

Join in the 32x32 tileset project, even if it is only to post that "I'd also like to have that!".

Today already intends (along with about a gazillion other things) to eventually remake the way text is displayed in the game (currently it is as tiles -- so it is kinda limiting a bit).  With this project going, it will just come much, much sooner.

Please do not send me with private messages, just post directly your comments and interest here, and also tell what kind of help, if any, you would like to provide to the 32x32 tileset project.  We don't need only artists to make the tiles, we also need team leaders, organizers, motivators, record-keepers and whatever (everything except nobles!).  And also a couple highly charismatic global overseers with the future of DF at heart and also a lot of time on their hands.

Why 32x32 you say?  Well, obviously smaller tiles (like say 12x12) is a niche-request from players with obsolete resolution displays or that don't know that they can go into their DF/data/initi/init.txt file and simply adjust the WINDOWEDX WINDOWEDY GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY and GRID to make their game much better while still in windowed mode.  And humongous tiles like Vista's 256x256 "Extra Large Icons" may be super-beautiful artowkr bot not only wouldn't allow us to see a lot of our fortresses, but would also be a real pain for the tiles artists to create in a consistent manner.  So the best overall gaming usability is reached at 16x16 pixels with "starting to get obsolete" displays (800x600) but is actually at 32x32 for current HD resolution (1920x1080).

Ideally, Pheobus, Beefmo and Toady (or at least some one very near him) would also join up, or at least show their support.

So let's form a project team, guys! 

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: The 32x32 Tileset Project - Graphical DF
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:24:08 pm »

Good luck, I guess.

I think you're gonna have trouble finding people with huge monitors, though.
I just recently started a set of my own (18x18), and I know that's still too big for some people.

Still, if you're inspired to draw 32-pixel sprites, more power to you! I wish you the best of luck.

...also, if you want to get people excited, you might want to actually show them some art.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:30:08 pm »

I like the sound of this, but wouldn't that size make windowed mode a bit hard to use? not many would fit..

-a guy with a 1440x900 laptop screen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:58:15 pm »

Actually, the biggest problem is that the game doesn't run with less than 80 tiles horizontally.

I had originally intended to make my set a bit bigger until somebody reminded me of that.

Only people with a horizontal resolution of 2560 pixels will even be able to play with a 32x32 set.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:14:06 pm »

Sounds like 24x24 would be a better goal (50% wider/taller than current, so 125% more viewable area) since that would allow 80x45 tiles on the HD resolution specified in the OP (1920x1080)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 03:20:32 pm »

...Vista's 256x256 "Extra Large Icons"...

Wait, what? Vista still uses bitmap graphics for icons?
 :o ??? :D
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:21:50 pm »

I think they're closer to PNGs, actually.

They support semitransparent pixels and all that jazz.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 03:22:46 pm »

Well, after the merge, 32px will be useful when zooming in, but pixelart doesn't scale down well.
Anyway, OP, got any content to show?
<3

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 03:26:08 pm »

I think they're closer to PNGs, actually.

They support semitransparent pixels and all that jazz.

A PNG is still a bitmap. I meant scalable vector graphics. I never used Vista or 7 and I assumed vector graphics as icons are the norm now.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 03:27:50 pm »

Ah.

Then nope, we're still mapping bits.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 03:38:02 pm »

A PNG is still a bitmap. I meant scalable vector graphics. I never used Vista or 7 and I assumed vector graphics as icons are the norm now.
The day Windows starts consuming GPU cycles, I'm switching to Linux.

Totally following this project. Scaling will make it work on my computer (currently dual-screening 1280x800, so 2560p is a bit out of reach at the moment), but I'm an ASCII whore myself, so I mainly want to see the art for its own sake.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

FatedTemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 04:03:45 pm »

With the merge on its way any size monitor will be able to play any size tiles/graphics (they don't even have to be the same size) as it stretches/reduces the size as needed. It may not look perfect at all sizes but it'll make a change to be able to zoom in and see nice detailed tiles. And as graphic support improves (I think it's still pretty high on the eternal voting list) it'll be good to have more variety of graphics to choose from.

I don't have any experience will making sprites or anything but I made a few oak trees to show how much difference adding more pixels can make. Left to right: 16px, 32px, 64px.

I'm sure better examples can be found. And some people prefer simpler tiles but I quite like the larger semi-realistic look as well as the smaller, more abstract look.
------------------
vvvvv
When I zoomed out fully in d19 I could see pretty much all of a 4x5 embark fort or there about. That more than covered my needs to see as much of my fort as I wanted, being able to zoom in more as well (well, technically having the default zoom be set to larger tiles) would be good in my opinion.

Deon: df stands for ... doom fortress? Great tiles though, I wish I could get such character from so few pixels!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:31:18 pm by FatedTemp »

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:58 pm »

Personally, I'm quite happy using 16x16 tiles are 1000+ resolution. It just means I can see more of my fort. I'm not saying bigger tiles aren't a good idea though.
Akur Akir Akam!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »

I'm waiting for 32x32 too :)

My df tiles so far:

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »

I honestly think anything bigger than 24x24 is way too large. My laptop can just about do a 16x16 graphics set, and it's a seriously large laptop.

24x24 is good for the new standard size of 1920 x 1080, so I'd use that if you're looking for oversized tiles.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: [1] 2