Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves avoid crossbows like the plague  (Read 315 times)

Gutierrez

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling Ash
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves avoid crossbows like the plague
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:23:27 pm »

I am working to train up my military and had the luck of getting an extra hunter in my most recent immigration wave with really good Marksdwarf stats. So I suit him up to head a unit of marksdwarves, the Raging Volcanoes, I set their equipment set to the base archer type, and they go grab an assortment of axes and picks...

At that point I just go to assign the Ragers specific Crossbows. I just forged a few iron ones.  My list only has a legendary spear Urist McForgeypants made recently and then a list of fungiwood spears and towercap blowguns.  Where did those come from?  Dealing with that failure, I try to set the not so raging molehills to crossbow as weapon... They hold tightly to their hard won axes and stand around in the training hall practicing personal drills. They have quivers available, 100 bolts set for ammunition, and those are left in the store piles as well.

I want to see a hail of bolts skewering goblins.  Instead I get a bunch of do nothing dwarves picking their noses next to an outdoor armor stand.

On a similar note my wrestlers have also decided they want axes as well as not to feel left out.  I remove weapon from their equipment list and they also refuse to drop their tree-dulled hatchets.  I try and forbid/dump the weapons, and that seems to do little to make them toss the items either.

How do I get my soldiers to use the weapons or lack thereof I want?

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves avoid crossbows like the plague
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:48:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)