Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support adding waste/sewage, and management thereof, as part of Dwarf Fortress? Note that this is in support of most creatures regularly generating some sort of waste, which may have various uses, like fertilizer, or must merely be disposed of.

I support adding creature waste to the game
- 134 (46.9%)
I do NOT support adding creature waste to the game
- 86 (30.1%)
I would not mind, but do not care
- 37 (12.9%)
Other
- 3 (1%)
In the distant future, but not anytime soon. (You should vote yes instead of this, but it was called for.)
- 26 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 285

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Would you support adding waste/sewage?  (Read 12473 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Would you support adding waste/sewage?
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:08 am »

Okay, since the other thread has gone out of control, lets use one that fixes a few of the perceived problems. Some better language (probably more in line with what Toady would use, anyways), slightly different poll options, and differently ordered justifications:
Note that even the YES option implies it would not be, for example, something that would be about to happen - this is a long term "is this something you would want" question.

Benefits of waste:
Allow construction of functional waste management systems/ sewage systems
Provide a basis for fertilizer in regards to animal waste
Provide an basis for other creature "leavings", like eggs for chickens

Cons:
Requires a functional waste management system / sewage system for larger fortresses.
May encourage immaturity and puerility.

Okay, so hopefully we can have a more reasonable discussion here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:26:54 am by GlyphGryph »

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would you support adding waste/sewage?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:13:03 am »

nvm

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:17:08 am »

Cons:
Requires a functional waste management system / sewage system for larger fortresses.
Will encourage immaturity and puerility.

Fixed.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:35:27 am »

Cons:

Fixed.

You're acting like immaturity is a symptom rather than a cause.

"OH THERE'S POO IN THE GAME THIS WILL MAKE PEOPLE WILL BEHAVE IMMATURELY AND MAKE POOP JOKES AND DROWN ELVES IN POOP"

The capability to do those things will not make people act in an immature manner. Immaturity is the reason people would do all of those things.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:22 am »

Cons:

Fixed.

The internet encourages immaturity.  Just look at the prevelence of running around putting words in peoples mouths and proclaiming that you've "fixed" what they were saying.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:59:17 am »

I'm going to propose an alternate system where workshops create waste.

Kitchen scraps, leftover plant matter from farmer's workshops, mills, and stills, inedible bits from the butcher are all created under normal operation and have to be dealt with before they start creating miasma and disease. This creates the need for a sewage system without baiting immaturity.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:02:24 am »

Urist McArtifactmaker has canceled awesomeness, going to bathroom.

Sure, sewers would be nifty, but this is too much. I mean, they don't even eat/sleep normally. That'd have to come first.

And just imagine adventurer mode...
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:06:34 am »

You forgot the "not now" option - people often vote against something if they think it does not have immediate priority.

Edit: As is perfectly demonstrated by the above post.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:13:01 am »

Urist McArtifactmaker has canceled awesomeness, going to bathroom.

Sure, sewers would be nifty, but this is too much. I mean, they don't even eat/sleep normally. That'd have to come first.

And just imagine adventurer mode...

Why would modifying the eatting/sleeping schedules need to come first?  If waste production was scaled to an appropriate frequency compared to other automatic activities, what's the problem?

One interesting thought I had related to the eatting/sleeping schedule:  Waste production/using the facilities should occur paired with either the eat or sleep task, before or after one of them, based on the dwarfs preference.  That would assist with fortress layout (put appropriate areas relatively close to dining hall and sleeping quarters; properly plumbed, of course) and not having the problem of a dwarf stops a job, goes to sleep, starts the job again when he wakes up, gets tile done on the job, and then goes to the facilities.

And pretty sure artifact makers ignore all bodily needs anyway ;)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:15:23 am »

You forgot the "not now" option - people often vote against something if they think it does not have immediate priority.

Edit: As is perfectly demonstrated by the above post.

I think rather than a "Not Now" option (I don't think anyone actually thinks this needs to be the next thing Toady works on), it should just be made clear in the OP.  Additionally, I think the original suggestion should include an init options to turn it off (or on, having the default be off).

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:00 am »

In the not too distant future...

"Hey, dude...Have you played DF?"
"DF?"
"Dwarf Fortress!"
"Oh...Is that the game where you save up turds to drown stuff with?"
"Yeah, man!"

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:26:55 am »

I would argue for the "Not Now" option.
Although having a sanitation requirement sooner or later would be a plus.  The advantage of adding sewage is that it becomes harder to build a completely sealed off fortress (else sewage build up causes massive out-break of infections).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 10:27:15 am »

In the not too distant future...

"Hey, dude...Have you played DF?"
"DF?"
"Dwarf Fortress!"
"Oh...Is that the game where you save up turds to drown stuff with?"
"Yeah, man!"

What, so adding waste to the game will suddenly make it all about waste? Gee, what happened to the dwarves, the magma, the forging, the fighting, and everything else? Oh, I guess it's all just a grand backdrop to what DF is all about: poop!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 10:29:41 am »

As I said earlier, a workshop waste system gets you the benefits without the poop backlash.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 10:29:55 am »

I've added a not now option for those who prefer it, though honestly "not now" isn't something I think we have to worry about - regardless of long term goals, the games material and fluid mixing system isn't anywhere close enough to handling this properly.

And hell, most creatures don't even eat yet.

Riznar - most of the benefits, perhaps, but it wouldn't exactly scale up the same way. Still, its a good idea, I think. Once a system is set to handle materials like this I think it would be nice to add, since I doubt creature waste will be enough to fill a sewer what with it probably only happening once or twice a year.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:31:45 am by GlyphGryph »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8