Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Operation Clean Hell - would this work?  (Read 1820 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Operation Clean Hell - would this work?
« on: May 07, 2010, 08:40:54 am »

Since some of the HFS are unkillable by traditional weapons, we need a reliable, preferably automatable way of protecting our dwarves framerate from revealed nasties the military cannot yet face. Would this design work for such purpose?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Clean Hell - would this work?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:42:58 am »

It's been proposed to do something similar, but use pumps to suspend the water in the shaft, and rain magma down through the suspended water.

Then you'll be making obsidian bullets!

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:44:56 am »

Sadly, no... the falling water would reduce your FPS, and the variety of party favors (fun stuff) that come up the stairwell would include flying amphibious things and flying burning things that would turn water to steam.

Obsidian bullets would work, though.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:32 am »

It's been proposed to do something similar, but use pumps to suspend the water in the shaft, and rain magma down through the suspended water.

I managed to achieve that.
Here's what I learned:
1. Even with an infinite water and infinite magma source, the production will be slower than the demons.

esc -> abandon

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:54:45 am »

Short answer: No.

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 11:49:40 am »

1. Even with an infinite water and infinite magma source, the production will be slower than the demons.

Whoa... how is that even possible? Would it help to have a long pipe for the demons, passable only from the bottom to maximize the time they spend on the obsidian bullets path?

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »

Normal medium sized worlds have at least 3 billion demons according to some math people did.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 12:13:43 pm »

Whoa... how is that even possible? Would it help to have a long pipe for the demons, passable only from the bottom to maximize the time they spend on the obsidian bullets path?

The game mechanic works something like this:
Code: [Select]
1. check demons
2. is there not enough demons?
3. create more demons
It makes them out of thin air. Literally. Even their history is made out of RNG's fantasies, just like your embark dorfs.
Truly, with infinite sources you can create obsidian out of thin air too. But even if you get five demons in one shot, there are five thousand more to take their place.

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »

I managed to achieve that.
Here's what I learned:

esc -> abandon

z-0
w-wall
s-pump input
S-pump output
B-raised bridge
b-lowered bridge
x-floor

wwwwwwwBBBBBBBwwwwwwww
sSxxxxxxxxxbbb  bbbxxxxxxxxxSs
wwwwwwwBBBBBBBwwwwwwww

This is what I imagine the plan for a basic 'cave-in gun'. If the ceiling is open, then the two pumped streams of magma and water would form an unsupported obsidian block in the middle and fall down onto the clowns. If my thinking is correct if these two pumps are synchronized on the same gear system, they will both place a water and obsidian on the same tile at the same time.(?) Also, it could be possible to stack the design and increase the rate of fire.

So unless the demons can climb the shaft in the time it takes for an obsidian bullet to form (1 pump cycle), then you're in the clear. The general plan is to open the shaft, keep the gun firing until you mine out all the adamantine on the map, and then floor up hell. However....your fort STILL dies cause of the FPS death demons cause -_-

(PS: If anyone's actually tried this plan and made it work / had it fail let me know please)