Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Adopting the locals...  (Read 7145 times)

Doc_LaKock

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken bones? Brb soap.
    • View Profile
Re: Adopting the locals...
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 06:30:17 pm »

Fantastic read.

I have become absolutely enthralled by the Tigermen/Animalmen lately. This story and your posts confirm the fact that they can train in combat abilities, and other posters talking about their social skills/healthcare skills training makes my days.

Other forum posts have even shown that Tigerpeople* will also grab armour and weapons (random though) and keep them equipped.

This opens up so much potential for a fruitful slave trade in Dwarf Fortress!

If an artificial "fortress" is built outside of you existing dwarf fortress, with a pit designated to keep the tigerpeople in, it would provide a living area to move around outside of your meeting halls and statue gardens.

Stockpiles for food, ideal weapons/armour, and other necessities could be created in this pit. When a tigerperson matures or feels like equipping an item, you can semi-control what is available to them.

Soon these "mini-civilizations" of tigerpeople will have a bounty of breeding, war-equipped adults that (hopefully, I have been unable to test) will eventually be able to hold off sieges.

Dwarves are (though migrant waves make us feel otherwise) a precious resource, and all it takes is an unlucky copper bolt to end a dwarf's working ability.

Why suffer your fortress the painful loss of dwarven life when these sub-dwarven creatures can be sacrificed in their stead. With enough traps and an appropriate number of well-raised and tailored Tigerpeople, your Master-race dwarves can continue to prosper while the raggedly-clad, semi-intelligent jungle men provide the soldiering.

*more politically correct, I suppose
Goblins have no sense of humor. Therefore clowns hate them.

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 08:34:10 pm »

Clearly we must train these savage beasts, so that may become more civilized, and protect us dwarves. Tea ale time!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:36:32 pm by farecoal »
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 08:43:36 pm »

:P I also have a number of snail and slugmen caged up, but I'm a tad hesitant to try to assimilate those. Beyond personal reasons, I imagine people might start having some nasty slips around the fortress...
Do it. They might die otherwise.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 09:00:06 pm »

Tigerman being tameable "animals" is the way a bug unintended feature (iirc) since they somehow inherited the [Pet] tag. A rather nice one considering that you get warriors with inbuilt weapons.

I would advice to get rid of the snail- and slug-man because these dont have the pet tag thus they arent tameable. The underground animal people areby the way tribal which means they have a proto-civ and they too lack the pet tag.

heh can i borough a white tiger girl if you have one?  :P
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:09:55 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 09:10:33 pm »

IIRC, if you add the creature tag for Tigermen to the Mountain Entity, tigermen will be akin to dwarfs.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 09:34:38 pm »

It's even worse when you embark in a location with no stream. I have a well coming from a murky pool, and tigermen won't drink from it. The only way I can make them drink is if I let them be adopted as pets (instead of "stray"), and then their owner gives them water.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 05:29:00 am »

It's even worse when you embark in a location with no stream. I have a well coming from a murky pool, and tigermen won't drink from it. The only way I can make them drink is if I let them be adopted as pets (instead of "stray"), and then their owner gives them water.

They will? You can do that? But THAT'S EVEN BETTER!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

V12US

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 07:15:22 am »

I can't really recommend taming tigermen.

The elves came around in one of my old fortress, and they carried some cages with tame tigermen in them. I bought them, interested in having a little army of sentient pets, much like the OP. However, they breed like cats, and not soon after, I had a ton of little tigermen running around.  Then the game started to lag, and people were complaining of a lack of room and were generally getting unhappy, so I put all of the tigermen in a cage. They all die of thirst. It made me feel like I was a bad pet keeper.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 12:15:06 pm »

I once had a fortress well stocked with tamed wolves and foxes. This was sometime ago, so there were tentacles involved...
Signature goes here.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 12:47:46 pm »

Oh the tentacles... Still I though you were able to butcher anything that you can designate as pet? Just but b instead of enter.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 01:35:03 pm »

Oh the tentacles... Still I though you were able to butcher anything that you can designate as pet? Just but b instead of enter.
Not true; you can't do it with vermin, for example.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 01:38:17 pm »

I caught a tigerman cub recently, sadly I didn't know about their need for food, so she starved to death. I felt so bad that I exited DF and edited the save raw so they didn't need food or drink, then reloaded the game from the previous season. I got a warm and fuzzy feeling from that.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »

I caught a tigerman cub recently, sadly I didn't know about their need for food, so she starved to death. I felt so bad that I exited DF and edited the save raw so they didn't need food or drink, then reloaded the game from the previous season. I got a warm and fuzzy feeling from that.

IT
IT'S
IT'S AN UNDYING FURRY ARMY! RUN FOR YOUR FUCKING LIVES!!!!!!!!!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 06:59:32 pm »

So... If I get that correctly:

- tigermen can be tamed without a dungeon master
- they can be adopted as pets
- they need to drink from a natural water source
- they need to eat meat
- they will randomly equip themselves with weapon and armor
- they will naturally develop their combat skills

Are they butcherable? I understand dwarves will not eat them as they are sentient but can you butcher them all the same for bones and leather?

Any other creature that can be used like that?
Playing DF on a Mac.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 11:13:04 pm »

So... If I get that correctly:

- tigermen can be tamed without a dungeon master
- they can be adopted as pets
- they need to drink from a natural water source
- they need to eat meat
- they will randomly equip themselves with weapon and armor
- they will naturally develop their combat skills

Are they butcherable? I understand dwarves will not eat them as they are sentient but can you butcher them all the same for bones and leather?

Any other creature that can be used like that?

Not in vanilla...
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4