Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Adopting the locals...  (Read 7149 times)

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adopting the locals...
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »

'Ello, Bay 12! First post here. :3

To begin, my latest fortress is entrenched in thick and savage jungle where a wide range of... fauna lurks about. Oddly, a lot of creatures seem to prefer deliberately entering my fortress and inevitably falling prey to the gauntlet of cage traps I have set within the outer walls. By the number and variety of beasts I have penned so far, I'm thinking of starting a spacious (and I mean spacious) zoo whenever I get around to it. Of these caged curiosities, however, are the tigermen. I believe I have about twenty so far. Packs of them have meandered the region ever since I've settled there. Their raws indicate that they can talk and learn -- after all, being anthropomorphic usually entails a hint of sentience -- but I never thought much of it. I mean, they're still just savage beasts, aren't they? Surely unable to take to the civilized and sophisticated ways of the dwarves. Until I glanced at the kennels, and a curious thought arrested me: taming them! It should be possible, shouldn't it? And it was. But these aren't just animals. These are (somewhat) intelligent creatures with humanoid features; there could be promise here. So I went for it.

I started with two of them, a male and a female. If successful, these two could be our first ambassadors to the tigerpeople! :o Well, at least until I got around taming the rest of them. After some undoubtedly awkward negotiations through some cage bars, surely facilitated by some tempting haunches of meat, the trial appeared successful -- the two were now sporting (tame) tags! Cautiously, I planted their cages further in the fortress by the kennels and let them out... They apprehensively left their cages and, at first, just stood there: two wide-eyed creatures of the wild suddenly plunged into the dark, cold, geometric depths of an eldritch underworld, populated by a numerous community squat, perplexing beings. It wasn't long, however, before they started walking about. I was thrilled. Surely the occasional visitors from the Mountainhomes think this place strange enough for being smack-dab in the middle of a perilous, tropical wilderness -- imagine what they'll say now, with tigermen walking about like proper citizens! Ha! If only I could train one of them to be a broker... trading might go a lot more smoothly.

Despite seeming confident enough to wander about now, they didn't leave eachothers' side. They headed toward a well and cleaned themselves off. Curiously, I then noticed they started walking out of the fortress. Before long, I found out why: they were thirsty. Instead of consuming some of the plenitude of booze, they prefer water. Yet, why didn't they just use the well? Fresh stream water only, at that, eh? How picky. Either way, it doesn't seem possible to see what they're doing like you would with a dwarf, so their actions are a little more cryptic. After getting their fill, they promptly returned inside. It seems that, despite sitting in a cage only to be coaxed out with first piece of food they'd seen in weeks, they've been convinced of the hospitality of the dwarves, after all. Their destination seemed to be, like all the other animals', the drinking hall. Tigerpeople relaxing in the drinking hall. I don't know why, but the idea delights me immensely.

Since then, I've proceeded to tame and civilize the rest and I've noticed they've started to dabble in basic dwarven skills -- primarily those in combat (kicking, biting, striking, even armor using) followed by social ones (negotiating, comedy, flattery, etc.). This not only confirms they have the intelligence to possibly adopt a dwarven lifestyle, but they can steadily learn how to speak, to boot; otherwise how would they crack a joke or compliment someone's beard, unless it means they only have that ability amongst each other (which I doubt because they would have already had those skills, in that case). I've even noticed a few tigerman cubs running about. I'm currently torn whether or not to designate them as available pets for dwarves. A tigergirl? I'd sure want one. But due to the fact that they speak and learn skills, I'd rather consider them second-class citizens of the fortress rather than pets. Not to mention that, while pets ordinarily follow their masters everywhere, the tigerpeople seem to enjoy the freedom of wandering out of the fortress from time to time -- and make stalwart defenders of the surrounding area when the need arises. It's good to know you have some allies out in the jungle.

To that end, however, I don't know the full scope of this but I think Toady should allow you to manage tamed humanoids like you would dwarves (of course, probably to a lesser extent, such as they cannot be nobles or preform workshop jobs). It would be nice to be able to draft them into the military, for instance, if they seem able to learn all weapon, armor and combat skills -- who wouldn't want a militia of seven-foot, bipedal tigers clad in steel? :P Anyone have any other thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:46:44 pm by Bronzebeard »

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adopting the locals...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:49:12 pm »

IIRC there is goblin tower somewhere in Core's or Power Goals, so that includes slavery and multi-racial fortresses

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:59 pm »

Now all I want to do is start a fort with animal people around and tame them to make a massive furry army. FEAR MY FURRIES!
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:42:33 pm »

Great first post, I had an amazing read. :)
I dont know why but I always end up playing in temperate or cold settings. Now I see what I am losing!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:02 pm »

Massive Furry Army?
How terrifying. ._.

I am, from this point on, going to buy all of those poor creatures from the elves.
Or, you know, just kill those damned elves.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:48:26 pm »

About halfway through an image of a wookie popped into my head, now I must try and replicate your experience. I think a squad consisting of Markstigermen and Speartigermen would be pretty awesome. Excellent read, also.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 04:40:28 pm »

IIRC there is goblin tower somewhere in Core's or Power Goals, so that includes slavery and multi-racial fortresses
Really? That's awesome! Admittedly, the concept of slaves wasn't the first thing that popped into my head, but it would make a fitting role for any subjugated locals.
Great first post, I had an amazing read. :)
I dont know why but I always end up playing in temperate or cold settings. Now I see what I am losing!
Thank you! :) And, in that case, you're just like me; I adore cold regions and I've founded quite a few polar fortresses ruins so far. Not that I always choose an extreme like glaciers, though. Failing that, I prefer temperate regions. This is my first tropical fortress, since I wanted to shake it up a bit.
Now all I want to do is start a fort with animal people around and tame them to make a massive furry army. FEAR MY FURRIES!
I think a squad consisting of Markstigermen and Speartigermen would be pretty awesome. Excellent read, also.
Haha. Just what I had in mind. :3 Sad they can't be drafted (yet). Although, I expect that over time their skills will improve -- should they encounter any combat -- even though they're doomed to just walk around... naked, for now. ;;

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »

be wary of those cubs, the last thing you want is a tigermansplosion

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:03:26 pm »

Put them up for adoption. Pretend that your fortress has a policy to pair a tigerman with a dwarf to teach them the way of the Pick.

I want tigermen...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:17:12 pm »

be wary of those cubs, the last thing you want is a tigermansplosion
Oh yeah, the inability to butcher sentient creatures could be quite problematic here...
though I'm not sure if that extends to animalfolk.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 08:39:14 pm »

It so happens that earlier today a large siege was imposed upon my humble, furry-loving fortress. Most of the vermin (and their wide array of mounts) fell to my cage traps but there were still plenty to test the mettle of my dwarves -- which was surprisingly formidable. After my militia of twelve-or-so (versus many more their number) pushed through the last of the remaining goblins idly waiting by the entrance -- no doubt for news of victory from within -- one simply rode off on his "rutherer". My militia gave chase but couldn't quite match his mount's speed. He led them in a circle around the immediate jungle before dashing back through the gates...

...and colliding with a startled tigerman cub, effectively immobilizing himself long enough to meet his doom at the hands of some tired soldiers. Unfortunately, the cub died in the brief exchange of blows but, remarkably, he managed to deal some significant manage to a seasoned goblin swordsman in the seconds before my men got there. Apparently keeping the tigermen around is paying off already! :P I also have a number of snail and slugmen caged up, but I'm a tad hesitant to try to assimilate those. Beyond personal reasons, I imagine people might start having some nasty slips around the fortress...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

huh if you can butcher animalmen... and also make them were armor.... Tigermen in tigermen pelt armor!
Nom nom nom

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 08:46:42 pm »

Whatever you do, don't leave your tigermen caged or chained.
It breaks their spirit, they don't eat, they don't drink... and then they die of thirst/hunger.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 06:09:55 pm »

Apparently, some of the tigerpeople have achieved legendary fighting and wrestling skills with little to no fighting, allowing one to single-handedly fend off a giantess before it could infiltrate my fortress (due to a blunder on my part, digging a channel outside the gates)! My recommendation grows. Has anyone else managed to get some yet?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:31:48 pm »

TIGER CUB IS KREDIT TO FORTRESS!!!!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4