Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fixing Forgotten Beasts  (Read 2265 times)

Aalto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Forgotten Beasts
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 11:04:33 am »

Use dfhack to spawn a square of magma on it and a square of water on z+1. Instant obsidian. I figure it's only fair.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »

Oh no! A Forgotten Beast humanoid made of amber! It appears to be totally unkillable, all of its body parts are broken and it just wont stop!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 05:52:07 pm »

Hm.  All of my squad have died of thirst, but the dogs are still working.  One of my craftsmen went fey and actually got back to work. 

I thought I would have had a tantrum spiral by now for sure.

If your soldiers are dying of thirst, I think you can undraft them mid-combat and they'll panic like civilians. They'll end up hiding with the rest of your fort, but at least they'll be able to eat, drink, and sleep. You can probably re-draft them afterwards and they'll go grab their discarded armor and continue the infinite battle.

Use dfhack to spawn a square of magma on it and a square of water on z+1. Instant obsidian. I figure it's only fair.

If you're against cheating, you can use a cave in to kill it. Anything directly underneath a cave in is completely destroyed. Build a single tile held up by a support directly above the forgotten beast, link it to a lever, get any dwarves you don't want to lose out of the way, and drop it. It will probably kill all the dogs, or at least maim them if they aren't on the beast, but you'll get your floor back. Of course,  you may want to wait for the moody dwarf to finish, otherwise it may hurt him too.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 08:08:41 pm »

I had this exact same thing happen.  A winged blob composed of steam.  My military was godlike.  Probably coulda taken on the old HFS with no casualties.

But the damn thing wandered into my fortress and set up camp on the fortress' main travel hub.  It lost it's wings almost the moment my military got there, but they couldn't inflict any damage to the body itself.  And the thing couldn't hurt a kitten with it's attack.

It was my first forgotten beast of DF2010 too.  Ever since then I wall off the underground as soon as I encounter it.  If I eventually want to explore I make sure there's a long tunnel full of building destroyer suicide booths and a panic lever in the meeting hall that closes a drawbridge over a channel to prevent further movement, and keep the beasty from getting to the bridge.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »

Nigh unkillable forgotten beasts can be killed via cave in ^.^ I dug into cavern 3 by accident and unleashed a Flying vomit dinosaur. It ran after a single military dwarf the managed to hold his own for the week it took to drop a tile on the damn things head. Killed it, the hero fighting it and the miner who took on the mission. They were both given a heroes burial.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:03 pm »

All forgotten beasts are in your save file. Make sure your init setting is set to uncompressed saves though.

String dump has nothing to do with it. It's just a number of info extracted from the EXE file. Spoiler your list which doesn't help please :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 05:19:14 pm »

The demons are in a box because they were unable to kill.  Just make a wall around them and fill up any holes anywhere else letting it out.  Makes a good story.   

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 07:18:12 pm »

All forgotten beasts are in your save file. Make sure your init setting is set to uncompressed saves though.

String dump has nothing to do with it. It's just a number of info extracted from the EXE file. Spoiler your list which doesn't help please :).

Is there a guide anywhere for messing with the save file?  I couldn't find one on magmawiki.  I've already established that notepad is not the tool to use, since it appears to be limited to only loading a file into memory at a rate of 20KB/s or less (why?) and have gone with Notepad ++ instead.  I'm not interested in it so much for this project as I just need to mod the creature tokens, but I was wondering if there would be some way to export a geologic map of the world or something.  It'd be nice to have a map of where limestone could be found.

I've dealt with inconvenient creatures before by giving them ignition points lower than their body temperature.  You think it'll work with a steam beast or will I need to do more than that?  Don't have a gineau pig in my new world yet but I'm working towards finding one.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.
Pages: 1 [2]