Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moron's Guide to Military?  (Read 1352 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Moron's Guide to Military?
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:53:16 pm »

I've tried the one on the DF wiki, and it doesn't seem to work the way the wiki says.

Anyone have a true moron's guide to military?  I really want to start playing DF again but can't get my milidorfs to do anything at all.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
Re: Moron's Guide to Military?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:28:00 pm »

Remove the booze supply; it'll get them sparring.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 10:48:39 pm »

The wiki is quite good actually, try reading it again. The system needs to be set up in a particular order the first time around. Make sure you're reading the 31 version.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:14:33 am »

In a nutshell:

To get them to individually train, since you don't want the organized training, assign a militia commander and make a squad, assign a weapon rack to their training. You might need to set their alert level to active to get this to work, or delete the training orders. You shouldn't need more than one barracks defined.

If some of the drafted dwarves don't train, one workaround might be to give them a kill order (s-a-k-... from the main screen, not the military screen) so they become novice in a few combat skills.

If you want to station them somewhere, first place a note (N), then edit/give an order to station (m-s-e-o-o-o), select the dwarves you want, alter the "min" on duty, and press shift+enter to save. The problem here is that it usually takes them a while to wake up and go to the station.

So instead if you want to kill some things, a kill order (s-a-k-...) is usually better as it instantly drafts, but the pathfinding seems a bit screwy - if you lock some doors you might be able to coax them into doing their job!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:16:44 am by Leperous »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:38:11 am »

Are kill orders not as buggy as they were at first?  I've been avoiding them since just after release, maybe for no good reason.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 03:12:16 am »

Are kill orders not as buggy as they were at first?  I've been avoiding them since just after release, maybe for no good reason.
They work well *if* dwarfs can path to the object (which does not equal to 'path exists', seems they will not bother to try pathing over too large distance)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 03:39:31 am »

I give up.  =/

Hopefully the new version fixes the interface/bugs/makes it easier/whatever.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:04:13 am »

Actually the new version has some bugs with the military scree, otherwise it works. You just have to get used to it.
Kill orders work fine but I've found out that if your dwarf is not very agile he won't be able to chase his victim and it will run away. So if you want to kill animals, tell your marksdwarves to do so.

If you want to station them somewhere, first place a note (N), then edit/give an order to station (m-s-e-o-o-o), select the dwarves you want, alter the "min" on duty, and press shift+enter to save. The problem here is that it usually takes them a while to wake up and go to the station.
Or you could just tell them to "move" and press enter (s->a->m->enter). Much faster this way.

If they are doing something else, s->a->o, then s->a->m->enter (s-a-o is "squad" - "select squad A" - "cancel orders").
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:06:36 am »

I haven't really read this, but it may help. Screenshots are always good. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57226.msg1248736#msg1248736