Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Awwww...Skill Decay?  (Read 10844 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awwww...Skill Decay?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 01:32:50 pm »

Will modifying those stats as posted by Nonsapient require a regen? I assume not since it's modifying tags rather than adding.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 01:35:15 pm »

Naw, no regen necessary.  At least as far as I understand it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 01:37:27 pm »

Shouldn't be needed. I know you can put [SPEED:1] in the raws and take it out of the raws without needing a regen in the cases where you need super dwarves for a few seasons.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 01:39:06 pm »

Correct, it will not require a world regen.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 01:47:15 pm »

<unused counter rate>:<rust counter rate>:<demotion counter rate>

Anyone know... the time for each rate?  Say the default is 2:3:2...  Does the '2' mean 2 months?  2 weeks?  2 days?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 01:51:16 pm »

<unused counter rate>:<rust counter rate>:<demotion counter rate>

Anyone know... the time for each rate?  Say the default is 2:3:2...  Does the '2' mean 2 months?  2 weeks?  2 days?

2 Urists:3 Urists:2 Urists.
Seems fine to me.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 02:43:54 pm »

Yes, I should've said 'might explain'. You're right, fat doesn't look like an attribute. I assumed since it changed during gameplay that it was.

So is it just the new genes that cause some dwarfs to balloon up regardless of labor intensity?

I was only giving half the story, accidentally. A dwarf's metabolism right now is tied to the recuperation ("heals quickly") stat, so if that stat decays, they definitely might get fatter.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »

Ummmm I think there should be MENT_ATT in front of some of those attributes, instead of PHYS_ATT, right? Such as Analytical Ability and Focus

Also, does it matter where exactly one inserts these corrections in creature_standard.txt? Just as long as they're under [CREATURE:DWARF] and before [CREATURE:HUMAN]?
EDIT: Oh, and what's the purpose of those + and - signs?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:32:03 pm by albatross »

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 04:30:46 pm »

They represent the quality of an attribute's "curb".  There are several different range sets for attribute potential, and those signs serve as a reminder.  They have no functional use beyond that.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 04:39:46 pm »

Ummmm I think there should be MENT_ATT in front of some of those attributes, instead of PHYS_ATT, right? Such as Analytical Ability and Focus

Also, does it matter where exactly one inserts these corrections in creature_standard.txt? Just as long as they're under [CREATURE:DWARF] and before [CREATURE:HUMAN]?
EDIT: Oh, and what's the purpose of those + and - signs?

Yes, some of the PHYS_ATT_RATES should be MENT_ATT_RATES instead.  The ranges are correctly MENT_ATT though.  And no, it shouldn't matter where in creature:dwarf you add those, but I would look for where it's existing stats are, and either replace them, or remove the brackets from the current values (this makes them no longer treated as tags) and place the new values in their spot.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 05:34:23 pm »

Well whaddya know, there's an entire article about this stuff in magmawiki <.<
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cheating#Tinkering_with_the_Dwarven_Soul

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 05:44:25 pm »

Well whaddya know, there's an entire article about this stuff in magmawiki <.<
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cheating#Tinkering_with_the_Dwarven_Soul

Except it doesn't answer what I want to know about it...  but yea, definitely useable by the OP. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 06:27:00 pm »

From what I recall of the various sneak peeks, fat is suppose to be based upon the metabolism of the individual dorfs and activity.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2010, 07:32:13 pm »

No world regen required? Not true. This comes from experience. Upon adding and removing [SPEED:1] to and from creature_standard.txt I didn't see the change until after I created a new world.

Loading the existing save: no change
Abandoning fortress, starting a new game and reclaiming the last fortress: no change
After creating new world: saw it instantly, dwarves moved ridiculously fast
Removed the line one last time and loaded the game: they still moved ridic fast

As far as skill learning or decay rate goes, the changes I made seemed inconsistent even after creating a new world.  I added the line [SKILL_RATES:5000:NONE:NONE:NONE] there (above the default dwarf PHYS_ATT and MENT_ATT stuff) and after mining about 500 tiles with a single dwarf he went from Not Miner to Talented. To me this seems it was somewhat faster but not nearly as fast skill improvement as I would've expected. I expected he'd be Legendary or something, going from 100 to 5000, that's 50x increase after all. But then again, I'm a newbie at DF.

Is it supposed to be SKILL_RATES or SKILL_RATE? Where do you get these... names. The magmawiki link seems iffy in this regard, it uses both terms (not to mention the other typos, may the author suffer 50 lashes).

EDIT: New world, changed SKILL_RATES to default 100, same amount of digging. McChosenDigger ended up Talented, no more, no less. So yeah, something's wrong here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 07:53:54 pm by albatross »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2010, 07:59:04 pm »

No world regen required? Not true. This comes from experience. Upon adding and removing [SPEED:1] to and from creature_standard.txt I didn't see the change until after I created a new world.

Loading the existing save: no change
Abandoning fortress, starting a new game and reclaiming the last fortress: no change
After creating new world: saw it instantly, dwarves moved ridiculously fast
Removed the line one last time and loaded the game: they still moved ridic fast

Erm, don't the region folders have their own raws? Editing those would probably make the change immediate and wouldn't require a worldgen.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4