Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrants. What the hell?  (Read 1304 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants. What the hell?
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:26:31 pm »

Hello, forums. I've got a pretty funny situation with my migrants. The last one was a baby, and i've started investigating how did he migrate to my fortress by himself. First thing that i found was that his mother, father and two siblings came to the fortress in the previous migration wave, that was 2 seasons ago.
This is not a question-thread, this is O_O-thread.
dwarf therapist screen of migration waves:
http://s39.radikal.ru/i084/1005/0e/394d306ff896.png
in-game relations screen:
http://s002.radikal.ru/i200/1005/7a/708bc540ed16.png
edit: the thing that makes me O_O most of all is that there was one migrant in the last wave.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:33:00 pm by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants. What the hell?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:28:43 pm »

It's like The Incredible Journey!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 01:37:12 pm »

Wait, they left the baby behind? ???
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:39:02 pm »

Well the mother only has two hands, so the 3rd baby had to crawl :P

I didn't think it was possible for dwarves to have triplets? This is probably a quirk of migrants being picked from historical figures...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »

they can have triplets, it's just very,very rare, rarer than twins, which are quite rare in their own right. The chances are you could play 100 fortresses and not have triplets born in your fort.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:54:12 pm »

Baby was born in your fortress.

Dwarf Therapist uses some random magic code to determine "migration wave" which is not always correct.
In my previous fortress I had 4 "migration waves" with one baby in each.
It is "O-O" at first but its not that unique and its definitely not a game bug but DT guessing based on dwarfs IDs

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:56:16 pm »

Oops, beaten to it!

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:59:44 pm »

I find it stranger that your fort is almost exclusively female.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »

It is "O-O" at first but its not that unique and its definitely not a game bug but DT guessing based on dwarfs IDs
It is game bug, then, because game told me 'some migrants have arrived', not 'Urist McMother has given borth to Urist McBaby'
Well, this is also some bug, because all my fortresses in 31 that i remember have had only 10-20% males.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:02:14 pm by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:48 pm »

It's also listing a female dwarf as a father.  I think that's probably the weirdest thing, though I assume it's tied to the whole entity/megabeast mixup that can happen if you gen a world and then immediately play on it.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13:23 pm »

It's also listing a female dwarf as a father.
Ooops :/
at least THIS is dt bug, cause in-game he is shown as a male dwarf.
It's mildly depressing.

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 02:13:55 pm »

It is game bug, then, because game told me 'some migrants have arrived', not 'Urist McMother has given borth to Urist McBaby'
Well, this is also some bug, because all my fortresses in 31 that i remember have had only 10-20% males.

Don't know if yours DT works fine but mine wont show new migrant waves without restart. (and iirc this wast reported somewhere as DT bug)
The odds are that your in-game population is much bigger than numbers of dwarfs in your fortress in DT  aaaannndddd you simply don't see what caused 'some migrants have arrived' message.

But if I'm wrong and you saw how this baby was crawling alone from border of your map then I guess you should post this on mantis.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 02:15:56 pm »

n't know if yours DT works fine but mine wont show new migrant waves without restart.
Yeap, i am restarting dt every time migrants come to my fortress, also all the newborns and migrants are zoomed in by df, and that baby was zoomed in to the map edge, not to his mothers room.
It's mildly depressing.

ronnyfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:39:46 pm »

Erm, do you all have the latest version of DT? i thought that was fixed.. *checks* yeah.. it lets me update properly mid game after migrant waves

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:56:21 pm »

If you take the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag off of female dwarfs in the raws you can have a population boom.

This has the unfortunate side affect of when a second set of triplets is born before the first has reached child age, they replace the infants in the mother's arms currently. The old ones are lost in memory somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2