Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshops: rough stone versus blocks  (Read 753 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Workshops: rough stone versus blocks
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:12:03 pm »

A search didn't turn up anything related to this, and this is something that otherwise doesn't make much sense.

It's possible to build nearly any workshop from a single boulder. It is then possible to deconstruct the workshop and get the boulder back. One wonders exactly how this works for stuff like stills and looms...

Realistically, a workshop built from rough stone should alter the stone sufficiently during construction that the stone is outright destroyed during deconstruction. Workshops built from blocks would not suffer from this problem.

It would probably also make sense for workshops built from rough stone to take longer to construct and perform tasks a bit more slowly compared to those built from blocks.

The same could also be true for metal bars versus metal blocks.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshops: rough stone versus blocks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:22:34 pm »

If it destroys the stone making it into a shop, it would destroy the bars or blocks making the shop. Since it only takes 1 stone/block to make shops, the same fate of "customization" should await both.

I think the better alternative would be to have a rough stone turn into a WORKED block when the shop is torn down. This would show that the rough stone had been "worked" into the counter and other workspace(s) of the shop.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »

I think one "Stone block" is actually a bundle of smaller blocks.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:30:51 pm »

It would probably also make sense for workshops built from rough stone to take longer to construct and perform tasks a bit more slowly compared to those built from blocks.
It would be nice if they could automatically "upgrade" when blocks or other improved items became available.
Also, shouldn't most workshops be requiring something more than a single boulder? Or additional things like tools and so on could improve the work speed in the workshop.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:31:24 pm »

The "required tools" will come along later.

More than 1 rock/block/bar for a workshop probably will come later.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 04:35:17 pm »

Yeah, material quantities and such are hazy right now.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:12:16 am »

If any changes were made, it'd be likely we'd move away from using random rocks and whatnot and start using actual furniture and tools.