Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best way to create a pyramid.  (Read 8439 times)

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to create a pyramid.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 02:09:30 pm »

I'm not talking about unsupported by a floor; I'm talking about won't be constructed without an adjacent nonramp space at the base of the ramp to stand on.

If I want to make a structure that from side profile looks something like this:

/
/|

I can't, the order just sits there forever. In order for a dwarf to actually construct the upper ramp, I have to create a terrace like so:

_/
/|

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 02:19:15 pm »

Funny you should mention it, I've been working on an Egyptian themed map.

I built a squarish pyramid first, with only one set of ramps up, and then added the sloped sides afterwards.

The raised up egyptian style village is cool.  I'm wondering if one could put beds on the roof by building an extra level, buidling the bed, then deconstructing it? 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 02:30:29 pm »

I'm not talking about unsupported by a floor; I'm talking about won't be constructed without an adjacent nonramp space at the base of the ramp to stand on.

/
/|

I can't, the order just sits there forever. In order for a dwarf to actually construct the upper ramp, I have to create a terrace like so:

_/
/|
What the smeg? I've never had that problem and don't know how you got it. I usually just build
Code: [Select]
  /|
 /|
/|
and it works fine. Probably my dwarfs stand on the floor immediately adjacent to the ramp/wall they're building, but I don't know.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 02:32:27 pm »

/
/|

_/
/|

Possibly because they can't stand on the same level that the ramp is going on (without standing in the spot for the ramp?

Have you tried something like:

R: ramp
.: Open space
#: Wall
G: ground (technically the top of a wall below)

Floor 1:
R##
R##

Floor 2:
.G#
.R#

This should let them get on the wall from floor 1 to build the ramp on floor 2 (Note that on Floor 2, I think another column of walls on the right is necessary for the wall on the next floor up to be built) (Also Note I've never tried any of this, so it's just what I think should work).

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 02:37:35 pm »

Possibly because they can't stand on the same level that the ramp is going on (without standing in the spot for the ramp?

Floor 1:
R##
R##

Floor 2:
.G#
.R#

This should let them get on the wall from floor 1 to build the ramp on floor 2 (Note that on Floor 2, I think another column of walls on the right is necessary for the wall on the next floor up to be built) (Also Note I've never tried any of this, so it's just what I think should work).

Sure, that works, but you're left with at least one rampless tile the dwarves can't build on and I was being impressed by his apparently complete pyramid face. You way underestimated how petty and stupid the issue is, here.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 02:47:16 pm »

Floor 1:
R##
R##

Floor 2:
.G#
.R#

Sure, that works, but you're left with at least one rampless tile the dwarves can't build on and I was being impressed by his apparently complete pyramid face. You way underestimated how petty and stupid the issue is, here.

Once you have the adjacent ramp build, I'm pretty sure they could then stand on the already built ramp and build the one next to it on the same level.  If that doesn't work, then use constructed floors and remove them later.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:01:58 pm by Ilmoran »

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 02:56:29 pm »

They can't stand on the ramp apparently, but I'll try constructing the floor out somewhere, thanks

And it was a joke dude, chill out.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 03:02:59 pm »

And it was a joke dude, chill out.

Eh, sarcasm doesn't always work that well on the internet, but fine, I've withdrawn my snide remark.  I was probably overreacting anyway, people today just seem to be getting on my nerves.
Pages: 1 [2]