Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best way to create a pyramid.  (Read 8443 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best way to create a pyramid.
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:46:46 am »

Let's say I have created an infinite number of stone blocks, and wish to build a pyramid. What would the best way to do this be? Create stair scaffolds every level? But I need ramps too...how would making ramps on a pyramid work? I suck at building ramps, so I'm not quite sure how to get around to doing it...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to create a pyramid.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:48:10 am »

Build ramps next to the outside walls, use them to build walls level by level.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:18:11 pm »

Funny you should mention it, I've been working on an Egyptian themed map.

I built a squarish pyramid first, with only one set of ramps up, and then added the sloped sides afterwards.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:31:34 pm »

Build it one level at a time. Build ramps around the outside. This gives you access to the next level, and also shrinks the size of the pyramid each level it goes up. You don't need any scaffolding to do this.

You can see I used a pyramid type design for my roof here:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-17393-castlekeeproof

Its not the complete pyramid of course, but you can just keep on extending that for as long as you want, until you run out of space at the top of the pyramid.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:34:48 pm »

What they said.

And unrelated to actually building a pyramid, make sure to place a masterwork statue of a dwarf striking down an elf at the top.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:22:04 pm »

All of the above are correct; each layer should be walls in a rough square, surrounded by ramps, which will allow access to the next level up. Word of warning, if you want to cap this pyramid with anything, and especially statues of dwarven heroes, you cannot do so unless you build a place for the builder-dwarf to stand. Just putting a few statues on top will not do it; dwarfs will build three of them and then decide they have no place to stand to build the fourth.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:22:55 pm »

All of the above are correct; each layer should be walls in a rough square, surrounded by ramps, which will allow access to the next level up. Word of warning, if you want to cap this pyramid with anything, and especially statues of dwarven heroes, you cannot do so unless you build a place for the builder-dwarf to stand. Just putting a few statues on top will not do it; dwarfs will build three of them and then decide they have no place to stand to build the fourth.

Just build a temporary scaffolding that you take down after you finish the capstone.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:45:34 pm »

Guys, this is dwarf fortress.  The best way to build a pyramid is inverted.

Single stone wall at the bottom, 31 wide at the top.  Of course, this would require scaffolding gallore.

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:29:04 pm »

In inverted pyramid the only tricky part is to build corners, all the rest is simple and wouldn't require extra floor tiles (as long as you're building it from inside)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »

In inverted pyramid the only tricky part is to build corners, all the rest is simple and wouldn't require extra floor tiles (as long as you're building it from inside)

I was assuming it would be solid.

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 02:37:28 pm »

I was assuming it would be solid.

You always can fill it later, with stone blocks, water or... magma :)
Bonus points if its inverted and made from glass.

Wait. It would be hard to fill it with walls without leaving at least 1 tile shaft inside. But water/magma is still ok.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 02:44:24 pm »

...I'm done already.

Thanks everyone for your input!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 02:01:12 am »

I just had an awesome idea. A glass pyramid, hollowed out, filled with magma pumped up from the magma sea. Halfway up, one wall is made entirely of floodgates.

There's a lever connected to these floodgates.

The only entrance to the fortress is directly in front of the pyramid.

This would be one of the biggest "screw you"s in history.
くコ:彡

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 04:43:55 am »

I built a squarish pyramid first, with only one set of ramps up, and then added the sloped sides afterwards.

Is there a trick to constructing sheer ramp faces rather than having to terrace them? My dwarves won't construct from a ramp or the top level and it's messing with me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:46:00 am by Some Internet Guy »

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 10:14:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is there a trick to constructing sheer ramp faces rather than having to terrace them? My dwarves won't construct from a ramp or the top level and it's messing with me.
AFAIK, you cannot simply build sheer ramps without other support; first, ramps don't provide that sort of support, and second, diagonal support does not work that way. What I do is build walls with ramps outside, like
Code: [Select]
/|
/|
/|__
///
, or vaguely similar to that. On the next level up, you build ramps on top of the walls and walls just inside the ramps; this does provide continuous support and a semi-sheer face. As far as the top level goes, I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, but I suspect it can be solved with temporary scaffolding.
Pages: [1] 2