Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marriage Determinants and Inbreeding  (Read 667 times)

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marriage Determinants and Inbreeding
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:42:02 am »

What dtermines if two dwarves will become romantically involved?

Also--  is inbreeding possible? 

I'd really like to do an Adam and Eve/ Redneck fortress.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Determinants and Inbreeding
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:25:48 am »

i'm only going off what i remember from df talk, but currently i think it only forbids them from marrying their parents, children, and siblings. cousins and aunts/uncles are allowed

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:28:19 am »

i'm only going off what i remember from df talk, but currently i think it only forbids them from marrying their parents, children, and siblings. cousins and aunts/uncles are allowed
Okay, thank you!  So in order for this to work, I actually need two breeding pairs to get started.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:42:00 am »

Well, basing on some personal experienced, have not made any serious tests with this yet, if the descriptions and likings match in some level they may get married. Though it probably need some heavy interactions between those two dwarves, perhaps some time spent idling in same area talking with each other?

So far haven't noticed any inbreeding, though that doesn't prove it's not possible. In new version never got fortress to that point where two or more babies born in the fortress had become grown ups. And after that, making them marry each other would require some heavy work to arrange.

*Adam Savage voice*
I say definately plausible
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:53:24 am »

Cousins marry in my forts all the time, and aunts/uncles will even marry their nephews/nieces.

I play as a race with a childhood of 1 year and a lifespan of 10, to put things in perspective.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod