Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: The 7th Fleet  (Read 17456 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The 7th Fleet
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:34:15 am »

Congratulations, Captain! You've been promoted to the command of our brand-new NTN Purgatory, just finished for our now-completed 7th Fleet!
This transport will take you straight away to Arcturus, where the Fleet awaits for you! Get to know your crew and the rest of the Fleet, we'll send the rest of your orders sometime soon.
Understood? Good, dismissed.

---

I kind hate these guys already.
I've only been here for four days, but they're already getting on my nerves.
My crew seems to be the worst.
They're all recruits with no combat experience at all, fresh from the Academy. They don't seem to have the slightest idea of how anything works on this ship.
The Purgatory isn't so bad herself, but with this crew, we're screwed.
Another thing is; this isn’t a real fleet. It’s just a couple of ships thrown together. Nobody gets along with eachother.
Plus, we’ve only got ten ships, and two of those are Scorpions. Even a single pirate raid will kill this Fleet for good.
We're a very varied bunch, and not just because of our ships.

The NTN Purgatory

Me.
Captain of a support frigate for two years, now suddenly a transfer to this.
The Purgatory is new. I’ve been told this is just the second one they’ve built.
Neither of these ships have seen any combat. They’ve fared well in simulations,
but that’s nowhere close to real fights.
Still, it’s got nice guns. An autocannon, plasma charges, some scatter guns and two missile racks. Powerful shielding as well, which is needed in such a slow ship as this.

Nex-class Support Frigates

Also familiar to me, as I’ve spent two years on one.
Fast, but still able to cause a lot of damage. They’re Old Theocracy stuff, one of the best ships we’ve found.
Anyway, they’re controlled by Captains Domor, Callaghan and someone called ‘Needle’, whoever she is. Domor’s another fresh recruit, but both Callaghan and this Needle have seen their share of campaigns.

The Dante-class Light Cruiser Avalanche

The Avalanche is our only capital ship. She’s got a ton of weapons, ranging from simple Blasters to an EMP Cannon, which I’m happy to have on this fleet.
The Avalanche’s captain is someone called Argunn, who has an impressive service record.
He’s participated in six major space battles in the last five years, with this very same ship.
Her crew is also the only experienced crew in the fleet.  Without them, I would've already gone mad.

The Scorpion Attack Craft

We have two Scorpions. Yes, your heard that right, two. Not a wing of them, or a single squadron. Two single Scorpions. I have no idea what we’re going to do with them.
Don’t know their captains, don’t really care.

The Watchman-class Attack Frigates

We’ve got three Watchmen in this fleet. Watchmen Attack Frigates are ridicously average.
They’re usually deployed in swarms, where they can overwhelm enemy ships quite easily.
On their own, they’re useless. I don’t know what to think about three.
Captains are Harene, Masema and a 'Caesar', who's in command of the Chimera.

---

So that’s it, the magnificient 7th Fleet.
We’ve finally gotten our orders, and are heading for a nearby pirate base. They’ve been disrupting trade for nearly six months, but we haven’t been able to locate their HQ until now.
Time to do some wrecking, I guess.

MISSION - DESTROY PIRATE BASE
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If anyone wants to take control of one of the ships, just say. The Purgatory is the only one you can't have.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:47:06 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 7th Fleet
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:11:27 am »

Give me a watchman! And name it 'Chimera'.

Edit: You typo-ed Chimera.
EditEdit: But not my name, hurray!
EditEditEdit: Why am I 'a Caesar'? Sounds Like I'm some sort of computer program.
EditEditEditEdit: What's that program you use? Assuming you're using one. Sorry for constantly editing this post, by the way. I'll stop now.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:39:45 am by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:24:39 am »

Gimme a Nex name it The Lucky Punk
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:43:00 am »

Give me a watchman! And name it 'Chimera'.

Edit: You typo-ed Chimera.
EditEdit: But not my name, hurray!
EditEditEdit: Why am I 'a Caesar'? Sounds Like I'm some sort of computer program.
EditEditEditEdit: What's that program you use? Assuming you're using one. Sorry for constantly editing this post, by the way. I'll stop now.

He thinks Caesar is a nickname, thus these ' '
I'm using a game called Battleships Forever for this game.

Updating now, I'll assume you just wanted to move out as quickly as possible.

EDIT: I'm trying to upload 14 images to imagehost at the same time >_>
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:45:49 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:44:10 am »

Nah, the AF Chimera's following any orders she's given, trusting on the (slightly?) more experienced commanders.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:49:53 am by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:45:39 am »

Oh, can the captain be named Marie Callaghan?

/yes I'm referencing the awesome movie.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48:06 am »

Changed it.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:51:25 am »

Alright, as for combat, just try to avoid losses, send the Nex's in first, bla bla bla.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 08:54:16 am »

I changed my mind. Whatever happens, I refuse to enter the combat fray AFTER the Nex's.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:56:40 am »

Uhm, I already started, but good news; the Nex's did go in first, and a Watchman did get some shots at the enemy before the Nex's.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 09:06:12 am »

Hmpf. Acceptable.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:16 am »

You move out, splitting the force in two.

You, the Avalanche, two of the Watchmen, the second Scorpion and a Nex on one side,
the rest on the other side. The Avalanche opens fire with her EMP Cannon, stunning the first of the pirate defenders.
The rest of you join in a moment later, unleashing your weapons on the little defenders, the first taste of combat for many.

You go straight through, and a heavier patrol ship joins the fray.

A long-range gunship opens fire from a distance, but the Chimera and her sisters shield the others from harm.
It continues hitting them until they catch up and return fire.

Payback’s a bitch.

Up ahead, the pirates have set up some weapons platforms, explaining the lack of real forces.
Scans indicate they have quite the collection of weapons.

The Avalanche advises everyone else to stay back while the heavy ships move up, but
the Nex’s still end up leading the formation. The greenness of the ship crews shows, as everyone
hurries up to get there first.

Still, the first one goes down easily enough.
Everybody moves up to the other platforms, keeping up the constant fire.

Once the nearest is damaged enough, Domor charges up his engines and physically rams the platform, breaking it in two. This act, while quite impressive, brings down the ship’s shields down to a mere 30%.
While he survives, the second Scorpion manages to get itself out in the open, trusting it’s speed a little too much.

It tries to pull away, but it’s useless. It’s engines gone, the lone Scorpion drifts around in space,
until the platforms finish it off.
The four-man crew is killed instantly.

The third platform is destroyed just afterwards. The Nex’s rush up to the last one, ignoring orders to wait.

It does not end well. Caesar’s Chimera joins in, but too late for the poor Domor.

Before you move on, Captain Argunn gets on the comm. He’s not happy.
Two ships lost, both for not following pre-decided tactics, and, honestly, the inexperience of the crews.

The main base is near. How will you approach?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I'll wait for your instructions longer this time)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:36:00 am by Digital Hellhound »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:37:25 am »

What's our repair status? Have we been damaged a lot? Or have our ships been repaired?
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 09:45:37 am »

Can I take the Avalanche?

And I think we should form our ships up around the Avalanche, Nex's in front, one Watchman to the left and one on the right side, the third up front supporting our Nex's.

Purgatory and the Scorpion will guard the rear, also serving as reserves.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:56:37 am »

Repairs will mysteriously come right now, but from now on you'll only get repairs after a mission is complete.

And sure Spartan, but I'm not changing the Captain's name.

When this mission is over, we'll get to a major space station. There you can get upgrades to your ships (It helps me keep track of you, so that's good too.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22