Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ushildomas, a community fortress: Chasing Silver  (Read 1744 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ushildomas, a community fortress: Chasing Silver
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:42:39 am »

Chapter 0: First Snow

The year is 255, and the Dwarven civilization The Greatest Girdle is well. The mountains that they call home are deep and wealthy, and each strike of the pick unveils new dangers and riches.

But as they are wont, easy life leads the dwarves to greater greed. But the riches of mountains fill the halls, and goods of the humans and elves flow freely. There is nowhere new to grow.

It took a single dwarf - C.D. Lulltrumpets, a dwarf with just enough foolhardiness to voice a good idea. He was an innovative genius they said, a brave dwarf who shall push The Greatest Girder beyond the wildest dreams of wealth.

As the first snow crystals crunched under his leather shoes, Lulltrumpets shivered miserably. It took a real idiot to make a breakthrough, he reasoned. He was such an idiot. Who knew that the thorny gray plant from the frozen north would catch his kin's wealth-lusting eyes? A real idiot, indeed. Before this, he did not even know what "snow" was! And now, his "discovery" led him to be named the leader of the Oil of Lights, and sent out on his way to found Iceguild, a new frontier for the dwarven civilization, the crown jewel of the Greatest Girdle, and the world's only source of silver dye.

Crown jewel be damned. More like the back arse of the Greatest Girdle. The thought brought a sideways smile to his face, which was immediately punished with blowing ice.
And what does a humble dyer know about life outside the Mountainhome? They called him a pessimist once, and it really stuck. What in Tithleth's name was he doing in this hellho...

His thoughts were interrupted by a loud crunch. Apparently, the wagon hit snow - real deep snow, the kind that breaks wheels so you can't fix them anymore. And just at the foot of the mountain, too.

This is it, thought C.D. That's far enough for sure.  Kicking the wagon for good measure, he looked at his fellow dwarves - who he barely knew, really.

"This is surely a sign from the mountain that we are welcome!" - he was really trying - "This is our new home, Iceguild. By the decree of the King, strike the earth!"

It really did sound better when others did it. Oh well, this will have to do.
And what do you know, it is really quiet here in the north. The wind blows to your bones and back, but at least no living thing is crawling out to eat him whole. Then again, who would want to come out here? Me, he told himself. So I could lead the Iceguild. He almost had himself convinced.

///////////////////////////

After many hours of reading, it's prime time for my first community fortress! I have never been able to successfully extract silver dye, and this fortress will be my very first attempt at running a successful silver clothing industry! It just happens to be in Cold, Haunted northern reaches.

Enjoy the reading, and feel free to claim a dwarf! As of the moment, we have:
Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:46:13 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ushildomas, a community fortress: Chasing Silver
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:16:52 am »

I'll take Atir. And start hoarding barrels.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:22:17 am »

Rakust, because I also like tower-caps. In 40d I refused to have any barrels or beds unless they were made of tower cap wood. Requesting Rakust be given a tower-cap bed with a one tile furniture stockpile in his room that only accepts tower-cap barrels.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:17:12 am »

I'll have an immigrant engineer, named Urist the Red. Mechanics and siege engineering are what I do.

Also, it's sliver dye.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:30:40 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:58:57 am »

I am Sodel, I'll craft yer equipment!
(And hide in my forge when the werewolves are comming!)
Military and Militia. It's horrible

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:13:21 am »

Gotcha! Will post your info soon!
////////////////////////

Journal by C.D. Uvarsakzul
Iceguild of Oil of Light
1st of Granite, year 255

First day of our glorious fortress! Everyone is looking excited (could however be that they are cold) so I found a nice spot, and told a big miner dwarf to dig it. He looked at me, and told me he had no pick. Okay then, I figured I'd get his pick.

I didn't know what the bookkeepers were thinking. As I opened the trunks of the wagon - now firmly lodged in the slowly melting snow - I found that there was no tools, per se. He did find a very heavy anvil. This was immediately snatched out of his hands by one of the dwarves, a mighty squat. When questioned, he was putting up a forge nearby, to prepare tools. You'd think someone would tell me, the expedition leader.

A while later, I found Arni standing around his makeshift forge. He was, apparently, waiting for coal. There was no coal, actually.
Curse it. I'll burn some damn wood.

3rd of Granite, Year 255

I dug out some bituminous coal from the wagon (Must make me a dabbling miner!) and now we're smelting it into pure coke. I found myself being glared at by one of the dwarves. His name was Jimmy, and he inquired, very loudly, where are the beds. I told him that to get beds, we need bedrooms, and for that we need picks, for which we need coal. He told me I talk too much, and that he'd rather be cutting wood. Well then, I told him to cut some herbs down. With his hands. We'll see how he likes that! (he didn't)

I should get some beds prepared, though. We have a carpenter, whose name escapes me, and I told him to get well... carpentring! Whatever they do to wood. So he made bins. What in Armok's name?! I guess we could use them for the coke we're preparing.

14th of Granite, Year 255

I'm starting to hate it here already. The sky is so... BIG! And, it's everywhere. I can't think properly without a proper rock over my head. How do those humans and elves do it?
What didn't help is that I heard the smith, Arni, muttering something about werewolves. I couldn't stop thinking about it since then. What DOES live here, anyways?

20th of Granite, 255

I heard a loud, loud howl tonight while looking through the various herbs we found around... of which there aren't. What howls like this? Our dogs do, but they aren't that loud.
I'm scared. That steel needs to come faster.

11th of Slate, 255

Ahh good, we're into the mountain. Those things that howl... I saw them in the distance. They are like dogs, but BIG! And they howl. I saw them hunt down a snowshoe hare, and it was horrible. I'm glad they stayed away. I swear, it's Jimmy's swearing. He seems to have a grudge against every tree - from what I gather, because they aren't towercaps. He hits them with vengeance. I... wouldn't want to be a goblin in front of that dwarf. He'd probably declare me not a tree cap, and just HACK. Horrible.

16th of Slate, 255

After about a month here, I figured I'd grab some rest time. Our miner dug out a splendid rough cave, and I slept there to the sound of digging. I'm up now, and he's still digging! At least the wolves are gone.

19th of Felsite, 255

I saw the most HORRIBLE thing today! I asked awhile ago what lives here... apparently, horrible, rotten groundhogs. Usually, they are cute little furry things that taste rather dull. But today I was out supervising Jimmy (after LordSlowpoke told me he still has no sliver thorn) and they just kinda... oozed up a ramp. Disgusting.
It can't catch up to anything, but they smell. They smell.... horrible. I can't get it out of my nose.
Could also be LordSlowpoke, though. He's rambling about lack of barrels, and smelling badly. We really need some soap!

1st of Hematite, 255

Spring is over. We now have a cozy little place in the mountain, with small bedrooms, and some workshops.
It worries me though, as we still haven't found any sliver barb. We'll keep looking, of course. The zombie groundhogs are edging in menacingly, but they are almost... cute in their decay. Ugh.

//////////////////////

First season is done, and still no sliver barb. I have Haunted Grasslands... shouldn't it be here?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:49:20 am »

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:SLIVER_BARB]
[DRY][EVIL][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Oh yeha and about cutting them with bare hands:
[PREFSTRING:wicked thorns]

Maybe the region is too wet or too cold for it? Or Jimmy might just still like his hands without wicked thorns in them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:51:33 am by Arni »
Military and Militia. It's horrible

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:51:11 am »

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:SLIVER_BARB]
[DRY][EVIL][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
Oh yeha and about cutting them with bare hands:
[PREFSTRING:wicked thorns]

Maybe the region is too wet or too cold for it? Or Jimmy might just still like his hands without wicked thorns in them.

The biome is cold. However the dry part... as I said, I have Grasslands. Is that dry? Or would it have to be tundra/savanna?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:44:23 pm »

[DRY] means that the plant won't be found within two tiles of a body of water (brook, murky pool, etc.).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 03:19:36 pm »

// Having gathered all the accessible plants, there is still no sliver thorn. Ugh. May have to remake this. Stay tuned! //