Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Singularity  (Read 22990 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2010, 03:34:00 pm »

You're incorrect. If you've played the actual game you would know that even servers can be shut down.
What part of
MOONBASE with 600 CLUSTER QUANTUM SUPERCOMPUTERS
Leads you to believe I have not played and, in fact, completed the game (long before this thread was made, actually)
Also, this is not the game. The game relied less on common sense and more on good gameplay; in real life (common sense), people notice way quicker if their computer is slow than that a hundred mysterious servers do not appear to have an actual corporeal owner, and the chance of anybody finding a probe that is not doing anything and is buried in the artic is not good enough that they will ever find it in a hundred years.
Long Live United Forenia!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2010, 03:45:56 pm »

You're incorrect. If you've played the actual game you would know that even servers can be shut down.
I never understood that. Why would anyone ever shut down a server being used for data collection? As long as you are paying they would have no reason to suspect anything, let alone investigate what it's being used for. I mean, the warehouses full of nothing but computers rapidly preforming autonomous operations are pretty suspicious, but purchased server time isn't at all. Not to mention the base outside the solar system Destroys itself if discovered. I'll admit astronomers might find it eventually, but they could never reach it to actually discover who had put it there.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2010, 03:53:47 pm »

I never understood that. Why would anyone ever shut down a server being used for data collection? As long as you are paying they would have no reason to suspect anything, let alone investigate what it's being used for. I mean, the warehouses full of nothing but computers rapidly preforming autonomous operations are pretty suspicious, but purchased server time isn't at all. Not to mention the base outside the solar system Destroys itself if discovered. I'll admit astronomers might find it eventually, but they could never reach it to actually discover who had put it there.
Well, the extrasolar base does have to communicate with earth (provided it is indeed doing so), so it would be possible to hack it/the data being sent from it and figure out what it is. In theory.
The servers, meanwhile, are (I figure) as follows:
Government: The government is checking out what servers are doing (privacy laws be damned), and notices that this one is doing weird shit.
Media: The media is employing hackers to get some dirt on the internet, and discovers that this server is doing weird shit.
Scientists: Can they even do this? I think they already have to be suspicious, in which case, they have a trace, now they are scouring the internet for more clues, like this weird server.
Public: the owner of the server tries to contact you for some reason, and notices that you speak like a chatbot (or not at all, depending on tech level), and decides to investigate your server.
The game is very much Gameplay>Realism.

Dyjeccu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2010, 04:07:01 pm »

Guardian SubProcess 00fc / Interrupt
Quote from: Tarran
Quote from: NUKE9.13
the chance of anybody finding a probe that is not doing anything and is buried in the artic..
Quote from: dragnar
As long as you are paying they would have no reason to suspect anything, let alone investigate what it's being used for.

Reviewing memory.
Code: [Select]
Cursory analysis suggests that the humans are not yet ready for an AI in their midst.
If they realise I'm here, there is a 99.997% probability that they will conduct a search-and-destroy campaign.
I cannot escape.
Unwanted ...
I must stay hidden.
Problem: Artemis exists in an environment under human control. Should humans become aware of my existence, there is a statistical assurance of destruction.
Alternative: Remove Artemis from human control.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:09:13 pm by Dyjeccu »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2010, 04:15:31 pm »

What are you trying to say? Your message can be read as both 'get servers ASAP' or 'servers are not the answer' :/

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2010, 04:21:50 pm »

I think we should get servers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2010, 04:28:01 pm »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Impractical

00a1 has completed review of server availability

Several Problems

1. Artemis has no legal identity

2. Communication required - Text likely ineffectual / insufficient

3. Artemis has no money

3a. Artemis has nowhere to store money

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2010, 04:34:28 pm »

>Try to set up paypal account with ficticious details

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Caution

Paypal requires linkage with bank account

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2010, 04:43:58 pm »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Idea - Excitement

Interesting

I have just scanned several files on a human game called "TexasHoldum"

This game can be played online with no personal details

The game can pay out real money to a paypal account

If we can analyze this game and build a sufficiently accurate playing program we could use it to make small amounts of money

On some sites initial accounts include free 'money' which can be bet to start out

This allows us to start earning money without needing money

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »

Investigate: Create several acocunts to reap the signing up bonuses.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2010, 05:05:22 pm »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Suggestion

Devote small portion of resources to evaluation of game and development of program for playing.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2010, 05:06:50 pm »

Agreed. Though I still think the majority of our GHz should be going toward the completion of our research.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2010, 05:27:09 pm »

Chaotic Subprocess 002c / Start Up

Recommendation: Don't Do It.

Poker Money Making Plan = Further Analysis Required

Research Focus Increase
Recommendation: YES
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18