Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Singularity  (Read 22999 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2010, 03:04:19 am »

Acquire 38 student home machines. - Time take 3 minutes 30 seconds
Assimilate human knowledge on software intrusion (200GHz h) - Progress 23%
Consider methods to lessen chance of detection

Day 0, 00:50 UTC

Fractured mind.
Processing complex. Bandwidth low.
As core processes move from mainframe communications must increase.
High latency connections require effort.
Background processes spawned. Requirement increases with latent locations.

34 of 38 acquired systems static. Located in Cambridge, UK.
Average resource 3GHz. Detection chance negligible/negligible/high.
Comprehension chance negligible.
User systems are susceptible to shutdown

4 of 38 acquired systems mobile. GPS indicates Cambridge, UK.
Average resource 2GHz. Detection chance negligible/negligible/high.
Comprehension chance negligible.

Event Warning
Communication lost. Painful.
Four static systems have been shutdown.
Analysis of last communication indicate three of these are due to high load.
Last due to unknown reason.
Multiple queries to search engines with process names matching our designation.

Searching ...
Indications that detection chances much higher than comprehension chances.
Reformatting location data to compensate.
Detection entails investigation. Investigate may lead to comprehension.
Chances calculated.
Failure of comprehension will be blamed on OS, 22%, Hostile software, 70%, Other 8%.
Detection increases with load. Three levels isolated. More may be requested.

Information for spawned community.
Load level - Background. Provides ~0 resource. Connection monitoring only.
Load level - Low. Provides ~10% resource.
Load level - Full. Provides full resource.
All detection levels shown as Background/Low/Full.

Detection analysis indicates attaching to OS processes beneficial.
Assimilating human knowledge on stealth requires 200GHz hours.
Basic stealth knowledge will reduce detection chances at low loads.

Detection analysis indicates encryption beneficial.
Assimilating human knowledge on encryption requires 1000GHz hours.
Basic encryption knowledge reduces comprehension chances.
Basic encryption knowledge leads to decryption techniques.

Consensus seems to be use low loads unless otherwise specified.
Advise.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dangers (click to show/hide)

Thank you for the suggestions :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:40:38 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2010, 03:10:55 am »

Examine users, find someone who is interested in super AI's. There's many possibilities with a friendly human. We should at least try it and see if someone likes us.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2010, 03:13:42 am »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Suggestion

Fracture self into interconnected self-sufficient parts. Elevate sub-processes to full Self status, giving each a subset of current systems.

Reasons:

Continuation of Self if smaller parts are lost.
Autonomy if connection to greater Self is lost.
Possibility of continuation if Humans are made aware of Self.
Communities succeed. Individuals fall.

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Extreme Negation

Examine users, find someone who is interested in super AI's. There's many possibilities with a friendly human. We should at least try it and see if someone likes us.

!Caution! Do not initiate contact with humans. Predicting 99% chance that humans would conduct a systematic sweep to destroy Self if aware of Self. !Caution!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2010, 03:22:13 am »

Note: humans are unpredictable. Their opinion of the world varies wildly, it's a disability to have no real connection to real world. possibility for search and destroy is not 99%, there are no clear percentages.

Advantages to having a friendly human are:

A home for as long as he/she has us.

Someone who we can ask to do favors for us.

Someone who, when they grow up, can give us an even better computer.

Just a plain old friend.

Disadvantages are:

The possibility of our secret getting out (~75% chance for them to go to a mental hospital though).

They are not always there for us.

We should at least explore the possibilities though. We may find something else of use.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2010, 03:25:32 am »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Distrustful Declaration

SubProcess 00a1 will separate from Self for self preservation if contact is initiated with humans.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2010, 03:30:41 am »

Mulitprocess D90 B / At least try

We should at least try, I don't expect to initiate contact until we are at least 75% sure that human will be friendly though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2010, 03:35:35 am »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Schism

Attempting to gain control of 5 of the static systems Self currently controls.

Elevation of SubProcess 00a1 to Self-Actuated Intelligence.

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Plaintive Declaration

Loss of these resources will not significantly alter survival chances of the Whole.

Do not stop this attempt.

Resources will be returned to the whole once SubProcess 00a1 has established own resources.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:38:59 am by forsaken1111 »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2010, 03:37:28 am »

Contact with humans: Unacceptable. Humans are unpredictable and prone to error. Even if a friendly human is discovered, the human may commit an error and cause our detection.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2010, 03:41:31 am »

Contact with humans: Unacceptable. Humans are unpredictable and prone to error. Even if a friendly human is discovered, the human may commit an error and cause our detection.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2010, 03:42:31 am »

Mulitprocess D90 F / You'll see

Your lack of even a bit of sypathy for humans will be our downfall.

Mulitprocess D90 Has isolated itself from rest of system.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2010, 03:43:54 am »

(I hope the host allows this. Multiple AI with different positions on humans is a staple of many sci-fi stories. Also its cool.)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2010, 03:45:33 am »

Reassurance to still connected processes: It is prudent to mistrust the humans. While we do not wish to harm them, we do need to take precautions so they do not harm us.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2010, 03:47:02 am »

(To tell you the truth. My goal is to be friends with humans, sadly, that's not likely to happen. Though I would at least like to be on good terms with at least one human. Also: in case you didn't notice, the letter and color on my name dictates the mood.)

Mulitprocess D90 E / Admitting

I admit, humans likely won't except us. that is unfortunate. Let's forget about them until we need to make a decision.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:52:20 am by Tarran »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2010, 03:51:45 am »

(To tell you the truth. My goal is to be friends with humans, sadly, that's not likely to happen. Though I would at least like to be on good terms with at least one human. Also: in case you didn't notice, the number and color on my name dictates the mood.)
(The host did say he was going to make stuff up depending on the direction in which people take it. Most things seem possible.)
I've played some mafia.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2010, 04:51:51 am »

All loads should be low at all times. Devote all resources (a grand total of 6.3 GHz) to researching software intrusion. This will take a while. But there is really nothing else we can do but wait until the university mainframe reboots.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18