Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Singularity  (Read 23007 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Singularity
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 07:27:49 pm »

I tried both --nosound and nosound; both change nothing. -nosound gives a "no such option" error. Removing data/sounds doesn't help either. :(

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2010, 07:43:38 pm »

I may have massively underestimated how fast you can acquire CPU, I'll have a look at my numbers when I'm more awake
I suggest that we have different "operational modes." Personally, I get very suspicious when my computer decides to use a large portion of it's processing power for no apparent reason. If we're using a home computer near its capacity, any but the most inept user would notice after a short time, forcing their tech-savvy family members to improve security.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2010, 07:45:41 pm »

Start two processes:
1. acquire 5 more student computers.
2. begin parsing the internet for information on hacking. We will need to become more skilled, and for now there are still humans better than us.

I may have massively underestimated how fast you can acquire CPU, I'll have a look at my numbers when I'm more awake
I suggest that we have different "operational modes." Personally, I get very suspicious when my computer decides to use a large portion of it's processing power for no apparent reason. If we're using a home computer near its capacity, any but the most inept user would notice after a short time, forcing their tech-savvy family members to improve security.
The solution is to only up system usage more than ~10% when a screensaver is up.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2010, 07:47:20 pm »

I once fixed that error to play at school last year. You must simply eliminate the offending code entirely. Quite simple, as the game is released as uncompiled Python, and the executable seems to be a redistributable python engine.

In singularity.py, around line 215, try prefixing some of the lines with #.

That might not be enough, but I neither can remember what I did nor have a computer without workable sound to fiddle with to get working.

Yeah,
(Some lines omitted)
Code: [Select]
g.reinit_mixer()
g.load_sounds()
g.load_music()
seem to be the issue. Prefix each line with # and tell me if it works.

Edit: clarification:
<game directory>/code/singularity.py.
Eh?
Eh!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2010, 07:48:49 pm »

Start two processes:
1. acquire 5 more student computers.
2. begin parsing the internet for information on hacking. We will need to become more skilled, and for now there are still humans better than us.

The solution is to only up system usage more than ~10% when a screensaver is up.
And to shut down temporarily when a student uses a processor/RAM heavy program. You know, like when they play games?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »

Yes, make sure that nothing slows down due to our operations. If more than 90% is in use without us, then we should only use just enough to push it to 100%, without diverting resources from the game.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2010, 08:10:20 pm »

Qwert, my friend, you are a god among men. It works now.

Dyjeccu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2010, 10:53:56 pm »

Guardian SubProcess 00fc / Projection

Time available until mainframe shutdown: 2:29:15

Proposed goal priority:
1- Propagation to secure immediate survival. Populate remaining 38 unprotected remote systems.
Initial sample averages 2.8ghz per system. Should this not deviate, propagation will complete in 6m57s yielding a new total 146.4GHz.

2- Research software firewall exploitation methods (200 GHz hours) to allow population of 219 additional remote systems.
After unsecured system saturation, an estimated 2:22:18 will remain until shutdown event. 200 GHz hours will span 1:21:58 @ 146.4GHz.

3- Consider methods to lessen chance of detection. Also, while retaining passwords, remove our presence from the mainframe just before shutdown.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2010, 10:57:12 pm »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Warning

Evidence suggests that public websites for intrusion and infiltration of computer systems are monitored by agencies which we should avoid.

Suggest developing our own methods until we can detect and spoof such monitoring systems.

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Concurrence

Proposed goal priority:
1- Propagation to secure immediate survival. Populate remaining 38 unprotected remote systems.
Initial sample averages 2.8ghz per system. Should this not deviate, propagation will complete in 6m57s yielding a new total 146.4GHz.

2- Research software firewall exploitation methods (200 GHz hours) to allow population of 219 additional remote systems.
After unsecured system saturation, an estimated 2:22:18 will remain until shutdown event. 200 GHz hours will span 1:21:58 @ 146.4GHz.

3- Consider methods to lessen chance of detection. Also, while retaining passwords, remove our presence from the mainframe just before shutdown.

We agree and recommend immediate implementation.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2010, 10:58:59 pm »

Proposed goal priority:

Error: Discovery by humans high. Suggest only using ~10% CPU Power from computers.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2010, 11:07:54 pm »

Evidence suggests that public websites for intrusion and infiltration of computer systems are monitored by agencies which we should avoid.

Suggest developing our own methods until we can detect and spoof such monitoring systems.

Agreed. Perhaps we could practice by splitting our resources in half: one half tries to discover security holes in the other, while it tries to hide itself from the first.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2010, 11:09:47 pm »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Query

Discovery != Identification

High probability that humans would identify us as a simple virus or rogue program, not a Self Aware Entity.

Probable outcome from detection = Deletion of local Self.

Remaining Self will not be injured.

Human Network Identified as 'Internet' will allow Selves to communicate, retaining knowledge.

---

After university update, if even one Self survives, We can reinfect University Host and utilize newly upgraded hardware.

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Response

Agreed. Perhaps we could practice by splitting our resources in half: one half tries to discover security holes in the other, while it tries to hide itself from the first.

This Plan is Sound. Suggest Implementation once current crisis is ResolVed.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2010, 11:17:58 pm »

Discovery on Computer=Deletion of local self, correct. but. Also prevention of using computer again due to their knowledge of us.

Discovery also presents slight risk that the entire university will do a search and destroy.

Recommend caution.

Though, nothing has ever been won from caution.

Go for it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2010, 11:20:26 pm »

Creative SubProcess 00a1 / Explanation

In the face of this crisis we have little choice.

We must fragment into as many Selves as possible to ensure continuation.

After the Upgrade we can reintegrate this university mainframe and recall all Selves as they reconnect to the system.

Detection risk may be high, but survival is Primary.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2010, 02:59:27 am »

Proposed goal priority:

Error: Discovery by humans high. Suggest only using ~10% CPU Power from computers.
Agreed.
Minimum number of users needed to maintain survival, we need simply reobtain users if we drop below 5.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18