Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: .31.03 - Increasing number of embark points?  (Read 5164 times)

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
.31.03 - Increasing number of embark points?
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:25:22 am »

Hey everyone, I was wondering if it was possible to modify the number of points you can spend on skills/equipment/animals prior to embarking in DF .31.03.  I was used to having 2000 points to start out, but was then faced with the problem of using 1300-1400 points to get equipment.  This, in conjunction with the fact that I can no longer farm without irrigation (which will result in my farms taking much longer to set up), is a serious issue for me.  I was wondering if there was any way to change it so that I may embark with 2000 points once more, other than using some sort of hex/memory editor or cheating/tweaking program.  Thanks,

Zancor Mezoran
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: .31.03 - Increasing number of embark points?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:28:35 am »

Look in the world_gen.txt ... it's like the 3rd item down. I've set it as high as 20000

[EMBARK_POINTS:20000]
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:33 am »

Thanks much!
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 01:13:32 am »

Also if you gen a custom world it is one of the parameters you can set

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:26:07 am »

That's what world_gen.txt does. It's allows to customize game world gen parameters :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:43:29 am »

He means its in the custom options screen somewhere in worldgen(admittedly hard to dig through), meaning you can do it through the game interface without editing any files.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 03:57:40 am »

Yea, but editing the files is easier.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:47:00 am »

Look in the world_gen.txt ... it's like the 3rd item down. I've set it as high as 20000

[EMBARK_POINTS:20000]

Did that actually work?  As in, did you actually have 20,000 points when you started?  The in-game interface says it's limited to 10,000.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:16:29 am »

It's not limited, but you have to edit the Worldgen file and not do edit it in-game afterwards. Remember that TEN MILLION ITEMS might lag your game a little, so try to keep it to a limit. Currently dominating a pocket region with 100,000 embark points.
"And then Urist brought fifteen of every animal, both male and female."
"And then he ate them all because the caravan wouldn't show up."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:20:45 am by Duane »

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:28:01 pm »

The modding question was answered, so I'm just gonna bookmark this thread and offer a little practical advice for anyone else having a similar problem.

I was used to having 2000 points to start out, but was then faced with the problem of using 1300-1400 points to get equipment.  This, in conjunction with the fact that I can no longer farm without irrigation (which will result in my farms taking much longer to set up), is a serious issue for me.
Anvils and weapons got dramatic price cuts, so it's actually not much of a loss. The big difference is all the medical gear you get in the default loadout. What I usually do:

Cut all the thread, cloth, crutches, etc by 1 each (what are you gonna do with 5 crutches, anyway?).
Drop one pick and one axe (only bring one of each for Day 1 operations).
Bring a handful of copper nuggets (6 points each, vastly cheaper than the steel picks and axes you're forced to bring)
Bring a fire-safe stone or three if you're embarking to an aquifer.

The copper lets you smelt the picks you need (and axes if you have surface wildlife to deal with). Burn trees for charcoal, you can have plenty by the time the migrants start to pile up.
Culling the hospital supplies nets you a TON of points. It's the difference between embarking with supplies for a month and embarking with supplies for TWO SEASONS (I usually get my farms working by mid-summer, with only a few turtles and drinks left, and getting my planters busy is my #1 priority).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 08:37:19 pm »

Farming operations certainly seem to be the number one priority in this new version.

If there are trees on the map, I get rid of all medical supplies. 1500 points in the new version goes a long way.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 01:46:24 am »

The plant cloth is actually a lot more expensive than regular cave spider silk or leather. So drop that and get their equivalent if you still want the medical stuff. Still nets you a lot of points.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 01:48:47 am »

Yea, I've done only two new forts in the new version. I find the embark points to be enough to have ample supplies. I dont start that many highly skilled dorf. Currently my only really skilled dorf is my medical on. I generally give my hopeful expedition leader some points in appraise and some of the social skills, as he'll level up the other administrative stuff in short order.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:01:40 am »

Farming operations certainly seem to be the number one priority in this new version.

If there are trees on the map, I get rid of all medical supplies. 1500 points in the new version goes a long way.
I find that's temping fate. Tried it once, and found my tree corner populated by half a dozen elephants. Six untrained wrestlers don't fare very well against those odds, but they might've survived if my doctor didn't have to fell the trees and fashion the splints himself.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.