Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thrower is now my new favorite skill.  (Read 2682 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thrower is now my new favorite skill.
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:15:48 pm »

So I've  been going down the adventurer skill list, putting 15 points in a skill, trying it out, then quitting. All ofd them seem interesting, but thrower I've found is lots of fun, not as fun as the kill a dragon with a worm days of 40d, but it's still fun.

I was being attacked by two axemen, and I threw my bronze whip (how does that work?) at one, and it knocked him down, and my 2 handed sword at another.

It took off his head.

And those were, in order, the first two moves of the fight. Thrower FTW!

I've played a guitar with my penis.
Re: Thrower is now my new favorite skill.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

Yeah. Thrower is one of those skills that I train up right away. It might take ten minutes of picking up rocks off the ground and throwing them back, but it's SO worth it. Just a few moments ago I was reminded of how awesome it is...

I was clearing out a Wesman town (they're like humans that are part of the Genesis mod pack) and I was using my superior throwing skills to throw crossbow bolts at people and kill them with relative ease. My character, Kelvas Swiftcut the Youthful Rogue of Clods, a legendary almost-everything with superhuman strength, was almost out of arrows when he was accosted by a ranger. I threw my last couple arrows at him and missed horribly. Then, completely by accident, I threw my quiver at him... Well, the result had me laughing for about four minutes at the hilarity of what had just happened...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:57:51 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:06:52 am »

Yeah. Thrower is one of those skills that I train up right away. It might take ten minutes of picking up rocks off the ground and throwing them back, but it's SO worth it. Just a few moments ago I was reminded of how awesome it is...

I was clearing out a Wesman town (they're like humans that are part of the Genesis mod pack) and I was using my superior throwing skills to throw crossbow bolts at people and kill them with relative ease. My character, Kelvas Swiftcut the Youthful Rogue of Clods, a legendary almost-everything with superhuman strength, was almost out of arrows when he was accosted by a ranger. I threw my last couple arrows at him and missed horribly. Then, completely by accident, I threw my quiver at him... Well, the result had me laughing for about four minutes at the hilarity of what had just happened...

Best name ever.
Also, throwing is useless unless you throw something really sharp. Or really heavy. But I saw a dragon corpse that only bruised a bone of a wolf.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 06:15:27 am »

Also, throwing is useless unless you throw something really sharp. Or really heavy. But I saw a dragon corpse that only bruised a bone of a wolf.

I don't know how sharp or heavy an elf corpse is, but I once killed an entire forest retreat by throwing corpses of elves at other elves. I didn't use a single punch in the whole fight (I killed the first elf, a child, by breaking most of his limbs and then strangling him to death). It was awesome.
I also rather enjoy wielding a dragon corpse in each of my hands, but that's for another forum topic :)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:21:01 am »

I don't know how sharp or heavy an elf corpse is, but I once killed an entire forest retreat by throwing corpses of elves at other elves. I didn't use a single punch in the whole fight (I killed the first elf, a child, by breaking most of his limbs and then strangling him to death). It was awesome.
I also rather enjoy wielding a dragon corpse in each of my hands, but that's for another forum topic :)

Are you really sure you're playing DF2010? Because I doubt you can really do that. It's more of a 40d thing, to kill an elf and then throw it at everything expecting that it'll die.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:05 am »

Best name ever.

Well, see, that makes perfect sense. Trying to impale something with a dragon is hard - it's nearly impossible to throw it properly, because it's so heavy. But something light, like an elf, can be thrown with greater accuracy and force, therefore allowing you to impale other creatures with it. See? Logical! :P
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:38:18 pm »

Best name ever.

Well, see, that makes perfect sense. Trying to impale something with a dragon is hard - it's nearly impossible to throw it properly, because it's so heavy. But something light, like an elf, can be thrown with greater accuracy and force, therefore allowing you to impale other creatures with it. See? Logical! :P

Also years of hate for the elves coupled with the burning of their forests have given adventurers the magical ability to fling elven corpses at such speed that it instantly impales anything they hit

On a totally different note, typing into this text box is nearly impossinle because IT KEEPS SCROLLINg UP everytime I press a button
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »

On a totally different note, typing into this text box is nearly impossinle because IT KEEPS SCROLLINg UP everytime I press a button

I have that problem on IE8 (blech).

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:22:40 pm »

Are you really sure you're playing DF2010? Because I doubt you can really do that. It's more of a 40d thing, to kill an elf and then throw it at everything expecting that it'll die.

Make no mistake - it took me a really long time. But yes, I am playing DF2010. I was a maxed out Thrower and even then, the spinning elf corpses broke bones at best. It was also a really small retreat, with not much in the way of military.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:42:10 pm »

Make no mistake - it took me a really long time. But yes, I am playing DF2010. I was a maxed out Thrower and even then, the spinning elf corpses broke bones at best. It was also a really small retreat, with not much in the way of military.
The only thing better than killing an elf by throwing the corpse of another elf at it is killing an elf by throwing the corpse of another elf at it repeatedly.
...Eh?

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 01:46:47 am »

The only thing better than killing an elf by throwing the corpse of another elf at it is killing an elf by throwing the corpse of another elf at it repeatedly.

True that.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 07:50:33 am »

I threw an elf corpse at another elf today.

The spinning elf corpse struck the elf and lodged in the wound.

I don't think I want to know how that even is possible.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 08:03:04 am »

I threw an elf corpse at another elf today.

The spinning elf corpse struck the elf and lodged in the wound.

I don't think I want to know how that even is possible.

The ears, man! The ears!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 01:25:37 am »

Haha yeah you can lodge just about anything into anything now. Once got a war hammer stuck into some guys toe, and a scorpion stinger in a scorpion.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 09:02:58 am »

Haha yeah you can lodge just about anything into anything now. Once got a war hammer stuck into some guys toe, and a scorpion stinger in a scorpion.

I wonder if you can cut off a scorpion stinger and use it to poison people.
Pages: [1] 2