Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mounting heads on pikes  (Read 1991 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mounting heads on pikes
« on: May 05, 2010, 07:55:06 pm »

Simple modding suggestion: a 1x1 custom workshop which requires a spear and a head.  The head would probably still rot after a time, if it had flesh.

Thoughts?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting heads on pikes
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:35:34 pm »

umm the point?

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »

Do workshops still add value to rooms in the latest version (I believe they did in 40d)? If so it would be an effective way of increasing room value.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:25:48 pm »

Except workshops cause noise, which is a minus to happiness when sleeping.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:00 pm »

It's heads.that are on pikes.it doesn't need a point or purpose,it's awesome enough as is.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:09 pm »

I believe they only cause noise if used....so if it was a working totem pole (since the current ones are for trade only) you could customize it to be some really odd job that wouldn't be used by anyone or just make it so no one can use it...henceforth a workaround for decorative totems

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:33 am »

I didn't think sound was back in yet. Even then, only constructing furniture and workshops caused a one-off noise?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:34:17 am »

If I were you I'd make it a two tile workshop then... bottom would be the | and the top a skull.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 07:48:39 am »

I believe they only cause noise if used....so if it was a working totem pole (since the current ones are for trade only) you could customize it to be some really odd job that wouldn't be used by anyone or just make it so no one can use it...henceforth a workaround for decorative totems

I don't think you even need to assign a reaction to it.  You could just create the building and it wouldn't have anything you could do at it.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:14:46 am »

I'd mused over the idea of decorative workshops earlier, skull totems and gem cases came to mind.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 08:16:13 am »

I don't think you even need to assign a reaction to it.  You could just create the building and it wouldn't have anything you could do at it.

Noise from workshops was removed and I didn't see a changelog stating that it's been added back. Where did you find it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:20:16 am »

It's heads.that are on pikes.it doesn't need a point or purpose,it's awesome enough as is.

what can you do with it? its not like you can stick it into the ground in front of your entrance and scare the crap out of thieves.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 08:43:27 am »

Simple modding suggestion: a 1x1 custom workshop which requires a spear and a head.  The head would probably still rot after a time, if it had flesh.

Thoughts?

that's possible and easy, but you have to make it so the workshop tile is walkable, or your dwarves wont be able to build it

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:06 am »

Thoughts?

that's possible and easy, but you have to make it so the workshop tile is walkable, or your dwarves wont be able to build it

A head on a pike should be a walkable tile anyway, unless your creating it with a dozen heads and spears, and just abstracting that the game can only show you one.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:38 pm »

what can you do with it? its not like you can stick it into the ground in front of your entrance and scare the crap out of thieves.

You aren't from round here, are you? We don't need a reason, we just need an excuse.
Pages: [1] 2