Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fixing Overpowered Armor in DF.  (Read 4273 times)

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Overpowered Armor in DF.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 04:53:54 pm »

teeth/hooves are considered by the game to be of the same material as skin.
So when you lose all your limbs you gum people to death?

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »

Does the bones = skin bug mean that bone bolts won't penetrate skin?
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 07:09:46 pm »

Quality does seem to have a significant effect on the effectiveness of weapons or armor now too though.  I have seen in my most recent fortress high quality iron swords made by a legendary weaponsmith puncture steel armor about half the time.

I agree that teeth and horn materiel is seriously weird currently though.  I myself made some modifications to teeth (I think I gave them bone stats) Horn (Also bone) and nail (kind-of arbitrary number change).  Still seems really underpowered in my opinion.  A dog's teeth still can't penetrate any deeper than a tooth's size at any rate.  But at least they can break the skin now.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 07:59:47 pm »

Quality does seem to have a significant effect on the effectiveness of weapons or armor now too though.  I have seen in my most recent fortress high quality iron swords made by a legendary weaponsmith puncture steel armor about half the time.

Can you explain that in more detail?

I gave iron twice it's usual values for edge and every yield and fracture and tested it in the arena, but it wasn't still causing much in the way of penetration. Having twice the impact values of steel did seem increase blunt damage.

In fact, even if you give iron tensile-torsion-shear-bending yield and fracture of exactly one kilopascal lower than steel, it still fails to achieve reliable penetration.

Might be that quality affects items in it's own curious ways, not directly related to material system.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:04:23 pm by Dwarfoloid »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 09:27:05 pm »

I was under the impression that quality only affected max  edge and kinda assumed that was correct.  But changing the base max edge values didn't have any effect, maybe I'm wrong on how quality modifiers work.

But I saw masterwork iron weapons cut and stab through low quality steel and steel equivalent metals fairly often.  It wasn't every shot, but it wasn't one penetration every hundred strikes either.  It was probably about one penetration per 5 or so.

Now that I put more thought into it though it wasn't very scientific methody.  There were other variables.  My military as well as having high quality equipment were also all legendary fighters.  They also were at about professional with their weapon skill as well.  So it may have also been helped by soldier skill.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 01:33:44 am »

Might be that quality affects items in it's own curious ways, not directly related to material system.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg1012311#msg1012311

Quality affects hit and block rolls and some of the material modifiers (edge at the very least).  Not that I know exactly what those rolls do. 

In fact, even if you give iron tensile-torsion-shear-bending yield and fracture of exactly one kilopascal lower than steel, it still fails to achieve reliable penetration.
Now that is incredibly strange.  It sounds like something is seriously broken because we know there are random elements that should make 1kPa difference almost undetectable.  This could could also account for the way that injuries don't seem to matter until a dwarf passes out or runs away.  Some -% to attack rolls that comes from having a broken arm or running low on blood means nothing because of whatever bug is causing any material advantage to be super incredibly important. 

...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 05:05:03 pm »

If you look at the modding forum, the issue of teeth/hooves being weak has been found to be a bug that can easily be fixed (teeth/hooves are considered by the game to be of the same material as skin).
Can you give me a link?  I've been searching but I can't seem to find it.
See this thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55798.0
Thank you very much!

@WTFace:
I think that this is the first thing on Toady's list after the d# merge and bugfixing for that.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.
Pages: 1 [2]