Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uberubert has lost a pet recently  (Read 1155 times)

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uberubert has lost a pet recently
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:08:55 pm »

Until recently I has two millipedes: Fotiill 1 and Fotill 2 (footy 1 and 2 - translated from norwegian)
Today, I found Fotill 1 dead after coming home from my daily class :(

This is more for my own personal therapy than for the forums entertainment or even attraction:
Fotill 1 was always the careful one. Giant african millipedes always contract to a relatively small ball whenever they are disturbed (sometimes even if disturbed slighytly), and Fotill 1 was alway quicker to ball herself than Fotill 2. Whenever I checked in on my Fotill's, Fotill 1 was always more socially careful than Fotill 2. This is also the reason for naming Fotill 1 with the first number, since I considered her to be able to stay alive longer than Fotill 2 (due to her carefulness).

The past few days, Fotill 1 was feeling slow and sick. She was moving like a "really old guy": Namely, slow, did not react to her surroundings (poking and blowing on her did not make her move much at all), and was shaky when moving. I am sad to find that this were symptoms to something that led to her death :( I am sad to have found her lifeless and completely non-reactive to my approaches at response. I was also sad to have disposed of her lifeless and non-stiff body :(

She is already missed, and will be missed in the future. I will of course tend more to her roomate, Fotill 2, and attemp to tame her not only for a better co-excistance with me, but also for a better quality of life. (She doesn't need to curl up whenever something is changed in her environement, she doesnt get scared and curl up whenever I put in food etc...)

So this was basically a sadness-post.. :/ If anyone has any information regarding millipedes, their sicknesses, problems, or anything I might have done wrong, please reply, and enlighten me on anything I could have done to keep Fotill 1 alive!! Seriously! I don't want my creatures to die because I'm too stupid to care for them! :O
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uberubert has lost a pet recently
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:14:26 pm »

How long have you had them? According to wikipedia, they can be expected to live 7 to 10 years.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:35:57 pm »

I'm not an expert.. But a "qualified guess" according to their current size vs their expected size:

Fotill 1 & 2 where about: 6-7 years old

They are about 7 inches long (less than 20cm long) which is less than their expected maximum lenght. I've heard they grow to about 8 or 9 inches (23-26 cm) long, and no problems.

They had a calcium-rich foodsupply: Namely cheese and broccoli(as well as cucumbers, apples, salad and various other "healthy" stuffs). Forgot to mention, Fotill 2 is now having a good time, being spoiled with fresh bananas and cucumbers. Never really had a close relationship with Fotill 1, but I'm still sad that she's gone :(
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:04:15 pm »

Aww... I feel for you, buddeh.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:52:31 am »

It always hurts to lose a pet... he sounded like a good pet and sounded like you gave him a comfortable and happy for life...
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:23:37 am »

Pets certainly are not fun to lose.

Right around the time I was born. My family got a dog from the human society, she was just a little puppy. I grew up with that dog. She was a very lovable, kind dog. She almost never barked or growled. Her favorite thing in the world were tennis balls. As she grew up, she grew fat. When I was 14. (And she was 14/15) she stopped being able to stand up on her own. eventually she stopped eating. It wasn't long until she died. That was a few years ago now, but I still miss her.

According to the information I could find, it may not have been a sickness, so much as it was just old age. I don't think you did anything wrong. Don't beat yourself up too hard.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:54:04 pm »

Unless you decide to keep turtles or koi fish, you will outlive your pets. Many times over. Its always hard to lose them.  :(

Some species of turtles and koi fish (they're carp!  :o) can live several hundred years.

Even more of a reason why you should fear carp.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 06:58:13 pm »

And parrots...my friend's family has an extremely annoying one, and it'll be that way for the next 60 years...
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:59:36 am »

I lost my Dalmatian just over a year ago, too. It was very sad.

I'm curious as to the burial procedures of a millipede. Did you bury her? Cremate her? Throw her in the trash? How does one do that?

I've never actually buried a pet, since my dad (who owned my dog) left her at the veterinarian after she died.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:18:40 am »

Right around the time I was born. My family got a dog from the human society, she was just a little puppy. I grew up with that dog. She was a very lovable, kind dog. She almost never barked or growled. Her favorite thing in the world were tennis balls. As she grew up, she grew fat. When I was 14. (And she was 14/15) she stopped being able to stand up on her own. eventually she stopped eating. It wasn't long until she died. That was a few years ago now, but I still miss her.

According to the information I could find, it may not have been a sickness, so much as it was just old age. I don't think you did anything wrong. Don't beat yourself up too hard.

Yea, I had a dog who died a couple of years ago who was around that age, maybe a bit older. It was a sudden death, heart attack overnight maybe.

Damn, this thread is making me sad.......

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:53:07 pm »

Yea, I had a dog who died a couple of years ago who was around that age, maybe a bit older. It was a sudden death, heart attack overnight maybe.

Damn, this thread is making me sad.......

Speaking of heart attacks... we had a rottweiler who died of one... It didn't go quietly either,he screamed in pain right until he died...

Our second Rottweiler died of cancer iirc... slowly..
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »

I know what its like for a pet to die. 1 fish soon after I bought it died when I was asleep, 1 cat who refused to eat and so around our house got thinner and thinner... he was put to sleep and another that got ran over. 1 rabbit that died when I did not know death. thinking he was gone, I looked for him. So I Know what its like.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 11:09:49 pm »

alas poor millipede  :(
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed