Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts are Fun  (Read 2405 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts are Fun
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:45:10 pm »

I just had a forgotten beast knock out a section of wall.

Granted, it was a section of wall that I was using as a makeshift pillar to replace a natural pillar in a cavern that I'd mined out, so it didn't exactly create a breach in my fortress, and the creature later walked into a pool of water and then seemed to encounter a pathfinding error because it just sat there until I tossed a cave in on top of it, but even so.

I just had a forgotten beast knock out a section of wall.  Constructed wall.  The type I use to keep forgotten beasts out.

Ladies and gentlemen, the rules have just changed.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts are Fun
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:46:52 pm »

Erm.  You will have to confirm that with science.  That is a pretty big thing to just now find out.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:54:28 pm »

are you sure it was a wall and not, maybe... a door?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:57:38 pm »

Was the constructed wall fully complete? If the wall has not yet been completed it can be destroyed by any building destroyer. Walls that have been completed and are fully constructed should be invincible against anything except for a cave-in.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »

that's what she said.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 07:01:13 pm »

There is a huge difference between a constructed door/bed/workshop and a constructed wall/floor.

Furniture and workshops are easily destroyable. Even a tantruming dwarf can destroy one. Constructed walls and floors act as if they were not mined out and are immune to everything, including temperature. You can make a magmaduct out of ice and it will work perfectly fine forever.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:32:44 am »

Are you 100% sure it wasnt a directional drawbridge?  When raised they look like walls but are destroyable.

Everything I've read about DF says that constructions are immune to building-destroyers so this is a pretty major point if confirmable...

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:51:43 am »

It was a single constructed wall being used as a permanent support.  It was fully constructed, and had been fully constructed for several seasons.  If I had to guess why this hasn't been an issue yet, I would guess that in spite of being able to destroy walls, they still get seen as obstacles for pathing purposes and so this only becomes an issue if they happen to wander next to one.

Sadly, the text log has since been replaced with "Urist McMiner cancels Dig Channel: Interrupted by Forgotten Beast" messages while I was trying to crush it, but I'll swear by my beard, I saw the message say it destroyed a section of wall, and the stone used to construct it is still sitting exactly where the wall used to be.

I'm not expecting everyone to take me at my word, but just as a thought.  Personally, I'm going to start obsidian casting any wall that absolutely must not come down, ever, if it's possible to do so.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:43:30 am »

Simple way to test.

Spam the world with cage traps, catch a forgotten beast by knocking it out on them, put the cage in a bunch of constructed walls, and pull the lever.

Alternatively, it could possibly be the case that it only destroys walls when it can already path to something (like the old double-locking doors trick to keep out invaders). Then you'd need to build a maze, and see if it destroys walls in order to take the shortest path to a target.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:42:05 am »

I do keep FBs out with constructed walls. Never seen them breaching in. Some dwarven science is definitely needed.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:42:42 am »

If I remember correctly the [TRAILS_DUST_FLOW] attacks generate a similar dust cloud to cave-ins, is it possible that a Forgotten Beast with this type of attack accidentally breached the wall?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:27 am »

I do keep FBs out with constructed walls. Never seen them breaching in. Some dwarven science is definitely needed.

Same. My constructed walls worked very well to keep the FB out until my military was ready to tackle it.

Unfortunately it ate my entire military causing a tantrum spiral that ended up destroying the fortress...but at least the walls held until I was ready to send them out after it.  :D

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:49 am »

my earlier comment reguarded a random bodied titan. Indeed he did not breach my fort through a wall, but past a maze of traps, randomly destroying walls put into place to herd cave creatures.  Afterward, it proceeded upstairs to destroy most other construsts remaining.  It was done entirely with breath attacks.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:55:59 pm »

I just had a FB destroy a flood gate, probably not that crazy, but i did kill him with just 1 recruit and 1 sword dwarf.  The best part was because he was an animal variant, they butchered him and ate him! yum.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!
Pages: [1] 2