Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts are Fun  (Read 2404 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts are Fun
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 04:22:46 pm »

I've never been able to butcher a forgotten beast so I'm not sure just how much meat they give, but whatever.  The beasts I've found so far have been a giant three-legged crab that shoots fireballs, a giant lemur that spits acid, a giant bird made of green glass that flew and breathed fire and a giant tick (EWWW) that did something I forget.  Things are getting very interesting.  If they can actually knock out walls, that does indeed change the rules entirely.  You can't even count on easy, clean kills with them, as they're totally randomized, you may end up with the aforementioned green glass bird that doesn't bleed and doesn't feel pain, or something much worse, who knows.  We can all agree though, Forgotten Beasts are ALWAYS big, several size categories larger than Dwarves, so they can do more damage and take more before going down.  But they do go down. 

Captain Fromunda

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hey guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 12:22:19 am »

this is an awesome-ass topic. DF gets more ridiculous all the time.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 02:00:59 am »

I had a noseless shelled coyote.  So big that the kitchen was rendering its fat continuously for several seasons, until it rotted and had to be tossed.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 09:04:44 am »

It was a single constructed wall being used as a permanent support.   

Are you sure it was an actual wall and not a support?  Those are different.  I've had numerous random FBs and not one has decided the walls I've constructed needed to be knocked down.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 11:17:44 am »

It was a single constructed wall being used as a permanent support.   

Are you sure it was an actual wall and not a support?  Those are different.  I've had numerous random FBs and not one has decided the walls I've constructed needed to be knocked down.
As I said...  it was a single constructed wall being used as a support.  It was not a support being used as a wall.

Since, y'know.  Walls hold things up as well, and I would have no reason to connect it to a lever, so I just went with a wall.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 11:31:56 am »

If it was used as a support, why didn't the beast go squish-die?  Unless it was just ornamental.

In the previous version, building destroyers were purportedly capable of destroying walls if that was the only way to get to dwarves, but had never been observed doing so as far as I can recall.  Now you're reporting that a beast not only destroyed a wall but went out of its way to do so.  I've had underground beasts wandering for years without destroying any walls, even when -- especially when that'd be the only way to get to dwarves.  So unless there's some really ultra-special super-rare uber-collectible [BUILDINGDESTROYER:3] now, it breaking a wall just doesn't make sense.

You sure the construction wasn't suspended due to 'creature occupying site' or something and you didn't notice?  that'd leave a block there when toppled.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:36:32 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]