Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d:Magma heat, !!caravan!!  (Read 602 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d:Magma heat, !!caravan!!
« on: May 05, 2010, 02:46:26 pm »

So a dwarven caravan came to my underground depot, we traded, they left and I noticed I cant see them because there is just a long, long cloud of smoke going from my fortress to the map edge. I know asking why this happenned is pointless, but I have some related questons;

Could it be caused by walking on a bridge that is right over a 7/7 magma(and under a 7/7 magma reservoir at the same time)?
    -But they got in without problems and nothing in that area changed for a long time.
Could it be caused by selling them a fire imp skull totem?
Could it somehow be one of the consequences of copying older files into my save directory in order to fix the nemesis bug?

Additional information
After the smoke cleared, I saw that none of the merchants soldiers died(no steel items). Also, there is no other trade crap they were carrying, such as steel harps, so it seems that none of the merchants died at all. I did see some !!pack_animal!!s but they made it to the edge of map before dying.
Also, there is some narrow iron crap that possibly wasnt there before the whole thing started. But even if the merchants got attacked by goblins, I dont see how it started fire.
There is nothing that can shoot fireballs on the map.
There is magma everywhere around (making evil dwarf realm), but it is under controll and if it spilled somewhere where it should not have, I would see it.
The map is freezing.
40d16+ orcs

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: 40d:Magma heat, !!caravan!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 02:49:51 pm »

Did the wagons at any point go up or down any ramps?  There is a known bug in which wagons going up or down ramps can momentarily stick through the ramp.  If you have a ramp and wall and magma on the other side of the ramp, the wagon can be counted as briefly in contact with the magma while traveling up or down the ramp.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:50:30 pm »

Did they go over any ramps with magma under them?  Being multi-tile objects, wagons behave in wonky ways when going through ramps, this kind of arrangement:

Code: [Select]
Z=3\
Z=2~\
Z=1  \
can cause wagons to combust since they'll briefly go "through" the ramp and actually touch the magma.  This bug is well known, and the source of the "bugs are opportunities to cause unprecedented amounts of destruction" quip.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:52:33 pm »

Awesome. It turns out I could simply ask what had happenned without all that speculation and information, because you are right. Thanks, solved.