Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: From 197 dwarves to 80 in... minutes?  (Read 1879 times)

Aurastorm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
From 197 dwarves to 80 in... minutes?
« on: May 05, 2010, 02:02:27 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8700-helmshead

Under an hour ago now, this fort was a prosperous land with the burden of over 197 dwarves. Shortly after the breakthrough into a cavern and some attacks from cave crocodiles, the large majority of dwarves had died of blood loss. I'm guessing it's a deadly disease or something that's going around my fort, but could someone clear up what's going on? (The diagnostician was about to diagnose a patient with the heavy bleeding but then died, too)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From 197 dwarves to 80 in... minutes?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 02:06:21 pm »

Ah, and unfortunate bug. You have probably encountered something that spews out mist/dust/etc that can cover your dwarves. Unfortunatly, as of now, these dwarves have a hell of a time removing this covering, thereby infecting all the dwarves he comes in contact with. Hurry, quarantine the population!

Aurastorm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:08:59 pm »

What i don't get however is how that had occured in the first place; My dwarves have never encountered a forgotten beast, megabeast, titan or demon which could do such a thing. The only creature i can imagine that would infect my dwarves in such a way would be a cave spider but their bite does nothing like what's happening to my dwarves. Until a cure can be found, a quarantine has been imposed on all dwarves currently residing in their room

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:11:39 pm »

...Wow, it's almost a literal line of blood. :o

Maybe it's the acid rain bug?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 02:17:02 pm »

Why were so many dwarves outside and in a line when they decided to bleed to death?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Aurastorm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:19:59 pm »

It's rained several times before and this has never happened.

And they all attempted to carry eachother's corpses to the cremation pit, only to find that they would die of blood loss too

EDIT:

A crack team of gorilla bodyguards just ripped off a besekering dwarf's head. It seems that there may be some good that comes from this mess.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:25:07 pm by Aurastorm »

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 02:36:00 pm »

Did you get any messages before you broke into the cavern about subterranean civilizations fighting Forgotten Beasts? Sometimes they appear early and fight with lizardman civs or caveswallow men. Perhaps its poisonous dust was spilled during the fight?
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 02:39:16 pm »

It's rained several times before and this has never happened.

And they all attempted to carry eachother's corpses to the cremation pit, only to find that they would die of blood loss too

EDIT:

A crack team of guerilla bodyguards just ripped off a besekering dwarf's head. It seems that there may be some good that comes from this mess.
Sounds nasty. And my best guess is the acid rain. also, what's with the humongous pit going down?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 02:40:05 pm »

Did you have wet dwarves walking on or near warm stone (warm from magma)?  That currently is kinda buggy causing them to be boiled to death.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:42:12 pm »

It happened to me too, same scenario: workers on the surface, it rains, they mysteriously die then it starts spreading when everyone goes to pick up their belongings. It is probably the rain bug.

Aurastorm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:50:20 pm »

Did you have wet dwarves walking on or near warm stone (warm from magma)?  That currently is kinda buggy causing them to be boiled to death.

Yeah i recently opened up the magma flood chamber, all dwarves were ordered to haul stones out of the pit and dump them, and i thought they were dying very similar deaths to those who boil to death. Dang. I can't believe i didn't link them together, looks like it isn't some mystical cavern virus then; just a horrific and brutal bug.

And the humongous pit is the limb explosion chamber. Many kittens have found their limbs severed in the death hole.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 09:41:21 pm »

Like the irrigation bug, the magma-boil at a distance is one I hope never gets fixed :)  Goblin boiling traps are awesome.

Its only confusing because you have been taught to consider danger only in the same tile, not at range. Magma is hot!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:11:36 am »

Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:12:20 am »

Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

You are confusing chocolate rain with acid rain.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:20:20 am »

I'm now inspired to make a fortress,half of which is diseased and lives in the caverns and the other half would be rich and live luxuriously in engraved mountain halls.Doing this though...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.
Pages: [1] 2